ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Dec 30, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #1,021 of 2,544
If you own a particularly strong solid-state or tube hybrid amplifier and matching DAC with a detail-rich sound signature, the Z1R are great performers with a very large stage and excellent imaging. However, I think that you cannot buy blindly either of them without first hand experience, no matter how much informative third-party reviews can be. Personally, I've auditioned the Z1R headphones twice and had very different impressions due to their volatile synergy with different audio units (mainly amplifiers).
From the few months I have used the Z1Rs on an Element III, my brain has come to a fascinating conclusion with them. Without EQ, they are very bassy, thick, and dark, with recessed upper mids and some slight treble sparkle. Although this makes them occasionally muddy, they're fairly forgiving on loudly mastered music and are good for relaxing. I particularly love how they handle trance, progressive metal, and other genres relying on deep subbass. With EQ, they become considerably more neutral and better separated. Both generally maintain the bass qualities, large stage, and good imaging.

Assuming there won't be a CanJam Chicago in 2024, I probably won't have the opportunity to try the Bokeh in advance. If they share any similarities to the open Atrium or Caldera, which I did audition, then I imagine it would be a really solid pair for pure enjoyment.

Dec 30, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #1,022 of 2,544
I totally did not buy a Padauk headphone stand just for my Bokeh. But they're so beautiful together! :grin:

(They're more similar in color - a deep red - but I couldn't get that to show properly in the iphone picture)

Attachments

• IMG_1431.jpeg
    IMG_1431.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #1,023 of 2,544
It's definitely wider on the Auteur and all of their open headphones but the Auteur isn't especially wide. The Bokeh's soundstage isn't tiny but isn't huge either. It's about what you might expect for the difference between open and closed. If you're looking for unusually wide and expansive for closed back that's the Atrium Closed. If you already know you enjoy the Auteur maybe go for that?
Im asking because ZMF Auteur are darn expensive for me. In my country distributors sell Auteur Classic (this I auditioned) for $2285, in ZMF shop its about $1500.
They already announced that ZMF Bokeh will cost about $1500 (on ZMF USA store its about $900). Its all because of taxes from USA to Europe.
Another reason Im thinking of closed back is because I have new family member in home (my little daughter) and I suppose it will be better to listen in closed back when she's sleeping :D (I work at home and she is very demanding/sensitive for noises currently).
I just love decent soundstage, lush mids and good subbas (without crazy midbass bump).

Dec 30, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #1,024 of 2,544
Im asking because ZMF Auteur are darn expensive for me. In my country distributors sell Auteur Classic (this I auditioned) for $2285, in ZMF shop its about $1500.
They already announced that ZMF Bokeh will cost about $1500 (on ZMF USA store its about $900). Its all because of taxes from USA to Europe.
Another reason Im thinking of closed back is because I have new family member in home (my little daughter) and I suppose it will be better to listen in closed back when she's sleeping :D (I work at home and she is very demanding/sensitive for noises currently).
I just love decent soundstage, lush mids and good subbas (without crazy midbass bump).
You will also need closed back when she's awake... talking from experience... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dec 30, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #1,025 of 2,544
I haven't done a ton of A/B between the two yet but generally what I've found in my listening between the two: If you enjoy what you heard with the Auteur Classic, I think the Bokeh with Suede pads (I personally use the Caldera Suedes, I expect the Bokeh Suedes share some similarities but won't be exactly the same) can give you a lot of what you liked but in a closed back.

With the Caldera Suedes, the mid-bass is brought down which gives the sub-bass a bit more presence (I don't know that it necessarily increases the sub-bass but I found it was more noticeable in the mix). Mids are still wonderful and it's a smoother listen than with the stock protein pads. It remains warmer than the Classic but not hugely so and the bass is still bigger than with the Classic at the expense of a slightly smaller stage.

Dec 30, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #1,027 of 2,544
From the few months I have used the Z1Rs on an Element III, my brain has come to a fascinating conclusion with them. Without EQ, they are very bassy, thick, and dark, with recessed upper mids and some slight treble sparkle. Although this makes them occasionally muddy, they're fairly forgiving on loudly mastered music and are good for relaxing. I particularly love how they handle trance, progressive metal, and other genres relying on deep subbass. With EQ, they become considerably more neutral and better separated. Both generally maintain the bass qualities, large stage, and good imaging.

Assuming there won't be a CanJam Chicago in 2024, I probably won't have the opportunity to try the Bokeh in advance. If they share any similarities to the open Atrium or Caldera, which I did audition, then I imagine it would be a really solid pair for pure enjoyment.
George Chronis will be able to advise on that when he receives them. Ask him.

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #1,028 of 2,544
I totally did not buy a Padauk headphone stand just for my Bokeh. But they're so beautiful together! :grin:

(They're more similar in color - a deep red - but I couldn't get to that show properly in the iphone picture)
Awesome stand-would you mind linking it please?

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #1,029 of 2,544
So I bit the bullet and bought the Bokeh. Now the waiting game begins. But unless I'm not understanding the discount of the tuning kit it seems like I was charged for it. Also a note about shipping. I wish ZMF would use USPS because when ordering from Canada the package gets handed off to Canada Post from USPS. I much prefer them over DHL, UPS or FedEx. Those ones are generally horrible for apartment deliveries. With Canada Post we have a secure package locker by the mailbox wall. If the package is placed in one of the lockers the key is put in my mailbox so I can retrieve the package.

Screen Shot 2023-12-31 at 12.38.02 AM.png

Dec 31, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #1,030 of 2,544
Dec 31, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #1,031 of 2,544
Jan 2, 2024 at 2:28 AM Post #1,034 of 2,544
Jan 2, 2024 at 2:34 AM Post #1,035 of 2,544
The ad says customization is required before placing the order… I don’t see in the page linked any options to select from. Would you mind sharing what you did?
It looks to me like he just wants a phone number and email address with the order, since he ships with DHL from Ukraine. Yurii, the seller/creator, is also a SUPER nice guy. You could just write him a question directly about the order process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back