ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Dec 29, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #1,006 of 2,357
Hello,
may I ask why you always want to roll all the pads or swap the mesh?
It's not like Zach is deaf, 😁.
No seriously, I'm asking because I've always done very well with the pads supplied by Zmf and have never had any problems.
The only headphones I never really liked were the Aelous.
But otherwise I've always found the pad that was always right for me tonally, it sometimes takes time to get used to it, but then it works.
I don't even think about the mesh swap on my Auteur and Atrium.
With the bokeh, I understand that it comes with it by default, which is okay in terms of mobility and different tuned portable hardware.

Dec 29, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #1,007 of 2,357
Hello,
No seriously, I'm asking because I've always done very well with the pads supplied by Zmf and have never had any problems.
But otherwise I've always found the pad that was always right for me tonally, it sometimes takes time to get used to it, but then it works.
With the bokeh, I understand that it comes with it by default, which is okay in terms of mobility and different tuned portable hardware.
I mean everyone has different tastes and preference when it comes to sound. I don’t see any issues with pad rolling/mesh swapping to their personal preference. Zach allows his headphones to be customizable sound wise. No sense in yucking on others yum.

Dec 29, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #1,008 of 2,357
Hello,
Main reason: Personal preference.

I also usually prefer Zach's stock setups, but not always. What's the harm in a quick pad roll to adjust the sound to my liking? He offers the wide range of pads and filters because he wants us to tweak the sound to our preferences. And I think it's one of ZMF's greatest strengths, having in house tuning options vetted by the manufacturer himself, not a 3rd party with limited understanding of the product. I wish more manufacturers would follow Zach's lead. It's nice to know even if I don't love the stock sound there's a good chance I can tweak the set to my liking. I'm more likely to buy blind with ZMF for that very reason.

Secondary reason: It's fun!

I tend to get bored with even my favorite headphones at times. For all the days they bring me goosebumps, sometimes when listening they just lay an egg. A quick tweak of the pads/mesh can salvage those days when I just want something different. I get some people just want something that works, and they won't deviate from it once they reach that happy place. I need a few happy places. I get energized by tweaking the sonics of my system. I think it's incredibly fun to roll dacs, amps, headphones, pads, meshes, etc. Sometimes happiness is more than just the music. Variety is the spice of life, so they say. My ex didn't like that logic much...

Dec 29, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #1,009 of 2,357
Okay, well argued, I can't disagree.
I'll do the same with the tube amplifier, put in other tubes if necessary and I'll be at peace.
I didn't quite understand why.
And I forgot that not everyone has a tube amp and might go other ways to achieve what they are looking for.
But that's okay too, if mesh or pads are bought instead of tubes no question.
What was said about Zmf I of course agree with.
A completely different company with a different philosophy of doing things.👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Dec 29, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #1,010 of 2,357
Hello,

I am with you, normally i would say to the Pads they are installed from ZMF are the right one, i was checking out many headphones with many pads and always going back to this one,they were installed from ZMF, but on Bokeh it is different, when you change the pads it is so much fun because different pads scales more then on any other ZMF, right now i am checking out Caldera Pads and i have to smile😬 i have so much fun with the Bokeh!

Dec 29, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #1,012 of 2,357
Anyone luck out with shipping notification today?
Nope. I had my fingers crossed when I opened up my email this morning, but no such luck.

I'm really hoping for next week since I'm heading on a business trip later this month and I've designated the Bokeh as my traveling headphones, as I find IEMs unwearable after an hour or two.

Dec 30, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #1,014 of 2,357
Out of curiosity, has anyone here had the chance to compare the sound of the Bokeh (with any pads) to the Sony MDR-Z1R? I might have an itch to get a closed back with less pad clamp, slightly better isolation, and a similarly warm sound signature.

Dec 30, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #1,015 of 2,357
I know in my story I said the bass was the star of the show with the Bokeh, however I need to amend that statement. The bass is awesome no doubt, however the mids truly are magical with this headphone and have become the real star of the show for me. The balance and layering in the mids is absolutely fantastic. The euphonic texture is incredible and I feel like I can reach out and touch the notes as they float all around my head. The decay is so natural and lifelike as well, and images/notes are heard in their entirety.

I freaking love this headphone!
Yes! There it is :). I was trying to express this same sentiment in my listening impressions. These headphones really resist being labelled in a particular way.

Dec 30, 2023 at 1:05 AM Post #1,016 of 2,357
Hello,
Aside from the answers above, which are absolutely accurate, I'd add "comfort." I generally always swap the leather strap of my zmf headphones with the suede strap as I prefer the feel, and I also find the suede pads the most comfortable...although the caldera thicks are really comfy too...

Dec 30, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #1,017 of 2,357
Out of curiosity, has anyone here had the chance to compare the sound of the Bokeh (with any pads) to the Sony MDR-Z1R? I might have an itch to get a closed back with less pad clamp, slightly better isolation, and a similarly warm sound signature.
I'd be interested on this comparison too.

The Z1R do not produce an entirely mainstream sound and they are rather peculiar in terms of DAC-Amp matching. As a result, reviews have been polarising, ranging from "the best closed-back headphone we've heard" by What-HiFi to the veritable disappointment of Inner Fidelity and everything in between but mostly standing in one of the two extremes: some swear by them, others swear at them.

ZMF are also unusual in some respects but, unlike Z1R, there is a larger consensus on their excellent performance. Both Z1R and ZMF headphones are expensive, but it's more likely to find a bargain Z1R than a Bokeh (the same holds for many ZMF models).

If you own a particularly strong solid-state or tube hybrid amplifier and matching DAC with a detail-rich sound signature, the Z1R are great performers with a very large stage and excellent imaging. However, I think that you cannot buy blindly either of them without first hand experience, no matter how much informative third-party reviews can be. Personally, I've auditioned the Z1R headphones twice and had very different impressions due to their volatile synergy with different audio units (mainly amplifiers).

Dec 30, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #1,019 of 2,357
I've been using these at my desk primarily, but today I wanted to give the Qudelix a try. Happy to say it drives them beautifully w/ a ton of headroom. The Bokeh is very efficient. I also appreciate that I can reuse my Focal cables :)

IMG_0857.jpeg

Dec 30, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #1,020 of 2,357
May anyone answer my question please?
It's definitely wider on the Auteur and all of their open headphones but the Auteur isn't especially wide. The Bokeh's soundstage isn't tiny but isn't huge either. It's about what you might expect for the difference between open and closed. If you're looking for unusually wide and expansive for closed back that's the Atrium Closed. If you already know you enjoy the Auteur maybe go for that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back