ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Dec 23, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #931 of 2,348
My rods are getting squeaky. Applied some Mohawk polish but don’t think it’s working. Anything else I can try to get rid of the squeak?
Mine are as well, I asked in the ZMF November thread and Zach recommended something called Nexus Green multi-purpose lubricant. Unfortunately I can't seem to get it in Canada, so I've ordered something that seemed very similar from what I could tell (Ballistol Multi-Purpose Lubricant Cleaner Protectant) and will [very carefully] try that when it shows up.

Dec 24, 2023 at 4:17 AM Post #932 of 2,348
Hey guys - didn’t realize this thread existed. If anyone has the chance can they test the Bokeh on a ZMF Pendant on the low impedance tap? Trying to decide between this and the Atticus. I love bass and a more forward midrange and it seems like this headphone delivers that in droves. Sounds like the Atticus might be the warmer of the two given the Bokeh has more top end extension? If that’s the case would the top end be similar to an Auteur Classic or Eikon?

I’ve had both the Eikon and Atticus and I’m trying to decide if I want to repurchase the Atticus. I remember it had a slam to the midbass that could knock you out and the Eikon had the more silkier mids that the Auteur has and awesome sub bass. Seems like the Bokeh is similar to the Atticus with more of a midbass emphasis. I listen to a lot of hip-hop and rnb, as well as beat instrumentals so sub bass is important as well. Curious if it’s really a good combo of Eikon/Atticus or Auteur/Atticus or if it’s mainly a more balanced improvement on the Atticus itself?

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #933 of 2,348
Mine are as well, I asked in the ZMF November thread and Zach recommended something called Nexus Green multi-purpose lubricant. Unfortunately I can't seem to get it in Canada, so I've ordered something that seemed very similar from what I could tell (Ballistol Multi-Purpose Lubricant Cleaner Protectant) and will [very carefully] try that when it shows up.
the Mohawk polish is actually helping a bit over night. Gonna apply more tonight and see. If not I’m gonna try the Gear Hugger Multipurpose Lubricant from Amazon.

Dec 24, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #934 of 2,348
Back on December 9th on page 36 of this thread I promised listening impressions of the Bokeh to pair with the physical impressions. Well, guess what?

We're going BACK TO THE FUTURE (Christmas Eve Edition)! Well. Back to the 80's at least. Hey, McFly!

Listening impressions are done with the stock mesh and stock protein pads. The Bokeh has reached over 50 hours. Listening was done primarily on the Acoustic Research AR-M2 dap, with secondary listening on the Aegis tube amp.

Overall impressions: This headphone does it all. Listening to alternative, classical, jazz, 80's, movie scores...it knocks everything out of the park and looks great doing it. Movies, media, and games are life like and enjoyable. Many have mentioned that the bass was the star of the show, and if I had to pick a single item that may be the one, however I actually found that there was no one thing about the headphones that made me put it in a box. It's not a basshead, treble head, or midrange focused headphone, but just seems to do...everything. Crisp, detailed, and powerful.

Yes, these do go boom. In Original Sin by INXS the introductory drum hits conveyed a good amount of power, and the bass line was easily distinguishable during vocals and high cymbal hits. The subbass standard, Why So Serious? by Hans Zimmer displayed a good but not overpowering amount of subbass, and also highlighted the detail and separation of the headphones with distinct movement of the sound circling from right to left. The crispness of the sound helps the bass, while powerful and present, to retain a control that doesn't overpower the mids and treble. But honestly, the hard hits at 8:36 just slam so pleasantly.

Both male and female vocals have excellent tone and timbre. Listening to Blue from the Cowboy Bebop OST Yoko Kanno's voice is like a glass of warm Christmas cocoa. In Depeche Mode's Behind the Wheel the male vocals highlight the right amount of breathy air. If the bass displayed the Bokeh's ability to be powerful without overpowering the midrange is the perfect place to find voices and instruments that sound like...voices and instruments should. Like perfect little school children, everything is in it's proper place, with enough space in between them. Especially apparent in classical music, such as The Anvil of Crom by Basil Poledouris, where the horns don't overpower the other notes, and the different levels of the song are easily found.

So, do you want a Bokeh? Let's be honest. If you've read this far, you most likely do. The good news is, you're going to love it. Every bit of music I threw at it was eaten up and fed back to me like I was a music hungry baby bird. I'm a huge fan of 80's music, and the headphones made synth sounds sharp, and the contrast between notes and instruments was high end. They're great for gaming, and while I don't spend much time on 1st person shooters I found the placement and soundstage for single player games extremely enjoyable. For TV and movies there is more than enough clarity and precision to help with dialog, and more than enough fun factor to help with all the explosions you can get from Stallone and Schwarzenegger.

I've owned a lot of sub and just over 1k headphones, including the focal clear, he6se, atticus & eikon, hd800, quad era 1, denons, fostex, emu...the list goes on. Does the Bokeh best them all on every level? Of course not; for example, the hd800 has a bigger soundstage. Would I pick the Bokeh over them in a one v one cage match? Yes, I think I would, as the Bokeh may not do certain things better than everyone, it does 'everything' better than anyone. I will say, the Eikon would really give a battle, and I'm looking forward to hearing the new Eikon, it's a long time favorite of mine. As a 1k closed back this is a no brainer.

Happy Holidays to everyone, now make like a tree, and get outa here!

Dec 24, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #935 of 2,348
anyone got a chance to try it out of Sony Walkman?

Dec 24, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #936 of 2,348
Back on December 9th on page 36 of this thread I promised listening impressions of the Bokeh to pair with the physical impressions. Well, guess what?

We're going BACK TO THE FUTURE (Christmas Eve Edition)! Well. Back to the 80's at least. Hey, McFly!

Listening impressions are done with the stock mesh and stock protein pads. The Bokeh has reached over 50 hours. Listening was done primarily on the Acoustic Research AR-M2 dap, with secondary listening on the Aegis tube amp.

Overall impressions: This headphone does it all. Listening to alternative, classical, jazz, 80's, movie scores...it knocks everything out of the park and looks great doing it. Movies, media, and games are life like and enjoyable. Many have mentioned that the bass was the star of the show, and if I had to pick a single item that may be the one, however I actually found that there was no one thing about the headphones that made me put it in a box. It's not a basshead, treble head, or midrange focused headphone, but just seems to do...everything. Crisp, detailed, and powerful.

Yes, these do go boom. In Original Sin by INXS the introductory drum hits conveyed a good amount of power, and the bass line was easily distinguishable during vocals and high cymbal hits. The subbass standard, Why So Serious? by Hans Zimmer displayed a good but not overpowering amount of subbass, and also highlighted the detail and separation of the headphones with distinct movement of the sound circling from right to left. The crispness of the sound helps the bass, while powerful and present, to retain a control that doesn't overpower the mids and treble. But honestly, the hard hits at 8:36 just slam so pleasantly.

Both male and female vocals have excellent tone and timbre. Listening to Blue from the Cowboy Bebop OST Yoko Kanno's voice is like a glass of warm Christmas cocoa. In Depeche Mode's Behind the Wheel the male vocals highlight the right amount of breathy air. If the bass displayed the Bokeh's ability to be powerful without overpowering the midrange is the perfect place to find voices and instruments that sound like...voices and instruments should. Like perfect little school children, everything is in it's proper place, with enough space in between them. Especially apparent in classical music, such as The Anvil of Crom by Basil Poledouris, where the horns don't overpower the other notes, and the different levels of the song are easily found.

So, do you want a Bokeh? Let's be honest. If you've read this far, you most likely do. The good news is, you're going to love it. Every bit of music I threw at it was eaten up and fed back to me like I was a music hungry baby bird. I'm a huge fan of 80's music, and the headphones made synth sounds sharp, and the contrast between notes and instruments was high end. They're great for gaming, and while I don't spend much time on 1st person shooters I found the placement and soundstage for single player games extremely enjoyable. For TV and movies there is more than enough clarity and precision to help with dialog, and more than enough fun factor to help with all the explosions you can get from Stallone and Schwarzenegger.

I've owned a lot of sub and just over 1k headphones, including the focal clear, he6se, atticus & eikon, hd800, quad era 1, denons, fostex, emu...the list goes on. Does the Bokeh best them all on every level? Of course not; for example, the hd800 has a bigger soundstage. Would I pick the Bokeh over them in a one v one cage match? Yes, I think I would, as the Bokeh may not do certain things better than everyone, it does 'everything' better than anyone. I will say, the Eikon would really give a battle, and I'm looking forward to hearing the new Eikon, it's a long time favorite of mine. As a 1k closed back this is a no brainer.

Happy Holidays to everyone, now make like a tree, and get outa here!
Love the writeup, and the line "Crisp, detailed, and powerful" really whets my appetite for my pair to arrive. And great to hear that only the Eikon comes close to overall preference, as that is a very special 'phone indeed. Thanks for sharing and happy (listening) holidays!

Dec 24, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #937 of 2,348
https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/zmf-november/products/zmf-gaming-cable

This cable works with the Bokeh, yes? Sorry for the dumb question, just wanted to double check

Nope. Those have mini xlr. They work for the other ZMFs. The Bokeh uses 3.5mm and not xlr.

There’s supposed to be a gaming cable for the Bokeh releasing soon.
I'll have the gaming cable up right after the hiday, somewhere around the new year! Sorry for not having it up yet, prioritized shipping this last week. But we do have them in.
My rods are getting squeaky. Applied some Mohawk polish but don’t think it’s working. Anything else I can try to get rid of the squeak?
This is the best stuff when things get dry etc: https://shop.nxsgreen.com/products/multi-use-lubricant-4oz

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 24, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #938 of 2,348
Love the writeup, and the line "Crisp, detailed, and powerful" really whets my appetite for my pair to arrive. And great to hear that only the Eikon comes close to overall preference, as that is a very special 'phone indeed. Thanks for sharing and happy (listening) holidays!
The eikon have completely different drivers, and has a special place in my heart. For the ZMF lineup there are a lot of different 'flavors' that all have roots in their house sound. I preferred the Eikon, an equal amount of people prefer the Atticus. They're horribly wrong, but that's all right. (Kiddin!)

But if you're looking for a semi portable closed back you're not going to go wrong with the Bokeh.

8aepdf.jpg

Dec 24, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #940 of 2,348
The eikon have completely different drivers, and has a special place in my heart. For the ZMF lineup there are a lot of different 'flavors' that all have roots in their house sound. I preferred the Eikon, an equal amount of people prefer the Atticus. They're horribly wrong, but that's all right. (Kiddin!)

But if you're looking for a semi portable closed back you're not going to go wrong with the Bokeh.

8aepdf.jpg
@DenverW this will forever be the voice I hear and say Bokeh in. LOL- thank you and I will pre-thank you for everyone working around me.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 24, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #941 of 2,348
@DenverW this will forever be the voice I hear and say Bokeh in. LOL- thank you and I will pre-thank you for everyone working around me.
Mwahahaha it’s my gift to you! Please keep track of how many times this is repeated at work!

Dec 25, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #942 of 2,348
Ugg I ordered the Bokeh but I don’t know what number it is out of 250…if ZMF only does 25 per week…how many weeks till mine ship? :sob:

Dec 25, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #943 of 2,348
Merry Christmas to all my ZMF buddies! :santa:

This is what I will be rocking with today, and it's even got Christmas colors.

1000003742.jpg

A fun pair of headphones for a fun day, and I wouldn't have it any other way. :grin:

Dec 25, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #944 of 2,348
I have clearly spent too much time on these forums again, still waiting on my Atriums and just pulled the trigger on the Bokeh with the tuning kit, because why not. Had the AH-D7200 for a long time now as my only closed headphone, will be an interesting comparison.

Dec 25, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #945 of 2,348
I have clearly spent too much time on these forums again, still waiting on my Atriums and just pulled the trigger on the Bokeh with the tuning kit, because why not. Had the AH-D7200 for a long time now as my only closed headphone, will be an interesting comparison.
Atrium is one of the best headphone in market today but does need good desktop gear to sound best. Bokeh can sound great out of anything. So you can have both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back