ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Dec 15, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #751 of 2,348
I swapped out the Tuba for my Woo WA3 OTL yesterday and am a bit torn on the sonics with the Bokeh. The Woo pairs wonderfully with all my 300ohm ZMFs but with the Bokeh the dampening factor sounds a bit too low. The overall tonality is good but the drivers sound slower and less controlled. Resolution is softer, and bass has lost some impact, and become more boomy. This is in comparison to the Tuba via the low z output. The Tuba's lower output impedance IMO gives are more synergistic dampening factor with the Bokeh. The Woo/Bokeh combo is sloppy sounding in comparison. Let me stress this is in direct comparison, not in general. I do like how the Bokeh sounds on the Woo overall, but I like it more on the Tuba. I'll give it more time to adjust mentally, but I can't help but think the Bokeh is at it's best with moderately high output impedance staying under 50ohm OI. The Bokeh/Tuba low z combo is really good IMO, being both euphonic like a good tube amp is, and also very tight and technically capable like a solid state amp. That makes sense given the Tuba is OTC not OTL. But on high z on the Tuba things start to get a bit loose sounding, more like the Woo, which makes me think the Bokeh is reacting more to dampening factor/OI vs transformer/non-transformer.

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #752 of 2,348
Albums like this really show the prowess of the Bokeh for metal. Those double bass blasts have a palpable impact that really drives the music and engagement. Growling vocals don't get lost in the mix, and all the high frequencies are well placed in the mix. Not a bright guitar driven album, but man are the dynamics on display here. When the bass hits, it HITS! And the growling vocals are sinister sounding with weight behind them, really bringing the menace to the forefront. I love the tracks where they bring in orchestral strings to the backdrop. The Bokeh's excellent treble presence really brings them out, whereas darker headphones like the Atticus and HD650 tend to blur them to the background. Hmmm the Bokeh is bringing them into focus, but isn't bokeh all about blurring? :)

1702666254482.png

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #754 of 2,348
The Bokeh's excellent treble presence really brings them out, whereas darker headphones like the Atticus and HD650 tend to blur them to the background. Hmmm the Bokeh is bringing them into focus, but isn't bokeh all about blurring? :)
This is great to hear, my biggest worry was a lack of treble presence.

Same here, just shipped!

Dec 15, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #755 of 2,348
Dec 15, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #756 of 2,348
You guys are so fast, I ordered like 4 minute after go-live and no shipping yet probably another week…
I ordered within 3 minutes and Bokeh is now shipped. Your chances are high next week.:)

Dec 15, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #757 of 2,348
You guys are so fast, I ordered like 4 minute after go-live and no shipping yet probably another week…
I was 4 minutes after open and just got shipping notice. Days not over yet!

Dec 15, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #758 of 2,348
Tbh most of the buyers of stabilised and b-stock seem to be still waiting. I am surprised that bokeh ship before so many others.

Dec 15, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #759 of 2,348
@zach915m
chrome_Ggw9I1IyyN.png

Pretty minor but this link is broken on the Bokeh product page

Dec 15, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #760 of 2,348
I was 4 minutes after open and just got shipping notice. Days not over yet!
You were right my friend. I just got the shipping mail too. You have to be patient and trust the process!

Dec 15, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #761 of 2,348
Is the "burst mesh" on the Bokeh the same as the "radial mesh" in the DYI parts section of the zmf website? If not, what are its characteristics? I tried google, but wasn't able to find much.
It's a version of it, they are both innately perforated mesh for different headphones. The "burst" mesh is for closed backs while the "radial" for open backs and have slightly different diameter. We will make the burst mesh available soon as well in the DIY section.
Tbh most of the buyers of stabilised and b-stock seem to be still waiting. I am surprised that bokeh ship before so many others.
We are shipping the BOKEH one day a week outside of normal shipping practices, we got about 20 out today. Bevin, me and Katharine are doing the BOKEH shipping while all others are shipping as usual and we have an extra shipping station on top of this for other ZMF November shipping. So it's an additive process instead of a subtractive one.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 16, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #762 of 2,348
Pulled the trigger! Got the hybrid pads to go with it (I realized that I'm just unlikely to want to really fiddle with something like the mesh). And now to patiently wait :)

Dec 16, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #764 of 2,348
Hi new Bokeh owners. Are any of you able to comment on how the Bokeh compares to the Atticus?
The Bokeh is a more exciting listen if you will, with stronger punch and impact and a tighter sound overall top to bottom, and the Atticus is smoother and more open sounding. The bass is stronger, goes deeper and is more impactful on the Bokeh, but not quite as detailed and nuanced in the middbass as the Atticus. The mids are more even on the Bokeh and I can hear more nuances and little details better as a result. The vocals are different between the two, being more floaty and smooth on the Bokeh, and they are a tad more forward and "raw" sounding on the Atticus. I actually love the vocals on both headphones, and it's tough to pick a winner there. As for the highs, they are more present on the Bokeh, yet still don't ever get harsh. I feel overall the Bokeh has better balance and extension top to bottom, and more unique staging and better layering thanks to the ADS (Atrium Damping System), and the Atticus is more open and "flavored" with more peaks and valley's in it's FR and it sounds more laidback overall. That's just some off the cuff stuff of what has really jumped out so far, and I have only had 2 weeks with the Bokeh now, so I am still learning what it's all about and how it fully compares to my Atticus. That being said, I already know the Atticus and Bokeh are different enough that both are staying in my collection. The Bokeh is more balanced/analog and dynamic/punchy sounding, and the Atticus is more flavored sounding with it's peaks and valleys, and more laid-back/open sound overall. I can listen to either one happily all day long. :grin:

For reference, the Bokeh has the Hybrid Pads and Titan Mesh installed, and the Atticus has the stock Ori Lambskin Pads.

I truly feel that if you are a fan of the ZMF house sound, the Bokeh is definitely a must have.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #765 of 2,348
One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post, and it's that with the Bokeh, all music no matter the genre sounds sublime. . .and with the Atticus, it's more hit or miss within a few specific genres.

The Bokeh is truly something special.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back