ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Dec 13, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #706 of 2,544
Glamour comparison shots. I’m going to do a video review/comparison next week.

Dec 13, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #707 of 2,544
Hmm...I'm a bit concerned by your description of a treble peak. That's one thing the Atticus certainly doesn't have, and I don't want it from any headphone. Sibilence is a no-go for me. Did the hybrid pads tone it down at all?

I guess I'll find out...I'm trying not to let reviews scare me preemptively :scream:
Don't. Any reviews before significant burn in aren't as accurate.

Dec 13, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #709 of 2,544
Dec 13, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #710 of 2,544
IMG_3497.jpeg

Dec 13, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #712 of 2,544
Hello I have a question.
Like 2 months ago I was in my fav local store to try my first ZMF ever, and it was Auteur Classic, I liked in so much from some SS amp (I dont remember which one) that I came back few days later with my ifi iTube2 to get a sneak-peak of how they can sound on my OTL in home. And I loved it even more! I compared them with other headphones in store like Fostex TH909, and some other big boys for similar price but Auteur Classic were the best ones (for my taste) - I loved them equally no matter if ifi iTube was in chain or not, every presentations were very pleasent, yet a bit different of course. I also brought my own Quad Era-1 to compare with Auteur, they defended proudly but eventually lost the fight as well :wink:
Now my question is: ZMF Auteur's price is really kinda nose-bleed for me, but Bokeh seems more wallet-friendly. How would you compare Auteur Classic to Bokeh? How they are similar and how they differ eachother?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #713 of 2,544
Hello I have a question.
Like 2 months ago I was in my fav local store to try my first ZMF ever, and it was Auteur Classic, I liked in so much from some SS amp (I dont remember which one) that I came back few days later with my ifi iTube2 to get a sneak-peak of how they can sound on my OTL in home. And I loved it even more! I compared them with other headphones in store like Fostex TH909, and some other big boys for similar price but Auteur Classic were the best ones (for my taste) - I loved them equally no matter if ifi iTube was in chain or not, every presentations were very pleasent, yet a bit different of course. I also brought my own Quad Era-1 to compare with Auteur, they defended proudly but eventually lost the fight as well :wink:
Now my question is: ZMF Auteur's price is really kinda nose-bleed for me, but Bokeh seems more wallet-friendly. How would you compare Auteur Classic to Bokeh? How they are similar and how they differ eachother?

Thanks in advance.
In case you haven't seen it, there is still a $1299 Auteur Classic on the ZMFNovember sale through the 16th. Haven't had much time to compare them but they have a somewhat similar tonality but the Auteur definitely sounds more open, as expected, with a wider soundstage and not anywhere near as much mid-bass as the Bokeh. You can't go wrong with either, but it seems like if you know for sure you like the Auteur and don't need closed that might be the bettter option for you.

Dec 14, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #714 of 2,544
At the other Bokeh owners:
Did yours come with a wiping cloth? I can't find it. Or is there none included?

Dec 14, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #715 of 2,544
At the other Bokeh owners:
Did yours come with a wiping cloth? I can't find it. Or is there none included?
Mine did not come with one

Dec 14, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #716 of 2,544
Some observations on break in with the Bokeh. Like its ZMF stablemates, it definitely benefits from serious break in. I've been running mine hard for a week now, and as I approach triple digits hours, I'm noticing some changes, which seems to be increasing as the hours pile up. First there's an increased liquidity to the sound now. I wouldn't say the Bokeh is grainy or harsh out of the box, but transients were a bit sharp and hard sounding. I didn't feel fatigue from them, but did note my other ZMFs were more rounded and wet sounding in comparison. That wetness is now starting to manifest in the Bokeh as well. I notice it most with strong midbass transients. They were a bit hard sounding when new, but now feel a bit more rounded, more liquid/wet. More like the Atticus' bass impact from a quality perspective. Also the treble continues to smooth out. The overall presence level isn't different, it's the subtle volume gradients that seem more nuanced and rounded (in a good way). All in all it's becoming more lush/analog sounding overall. Out of the box it sounded stiff, in comparison. How are everyone else's Bokehs breaking in?

Dec 14, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #717 of 2,544
I'm relatively sure I'm in the first 25 (think it was close though so if a bunch of people ordered multiple then I'm in the next batch) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a delivery notice today or tomorrow so I can start off my holiday next week soaking in warm glowing warming mid-bass :relieved::fingers_crossed:

Dec 14, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #718 of 2,544
Some observations on break in with the Bokeh. Like its ZMF stablemates, it definitely benefits from serious break in. I've been running mine hard for a week now, and as I approach triple digits hours, I'm noticing some changes, which seems to be increasing as the hours pile up. First there's an increased liquidity to the sound now. I wouldn't say the Bokeh is grainy or harsh out of the box, but transients were a bit sharp and hard sounding. I didn't feel fatigue from them, but did note my other ZMFs were more rounded and wet sounding in comparison. That wetness is now starting to manifest in the Bokeh as well. I notice it most with strong midbass transients. They were a bit hard sounding when new, but now feel a bit more rounded, more liquid/wet. More like the Atticus' bass impact from a quality perspective. Also the treble continues to smooth out. The overall presence level isn't different, it's the subtle volume gradients that seem more nuanced and rounded (in a good way). All in all it's becoming more lush/analog sounding overall. Out of the box it sounded stiff, in comparison. How are everyone else's Bokehs breaking in?
I have quite a few more hours on my pair now, as I have been running them nonstop with my RU7, and totally agree they change quite a bit after burn in. Just the other day I noticed exactly what you described, and another thing I noticed is the soundstage has opened up considerably as well.

These headphones just keep getting better! :grin:

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #719 of 2,544

This may seem like an odd or dumb question but what do you mean by the it sounding "liquid" or "wet"?

Dec 14, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #720 of 2,544
I'm relatively sure I'm in the first 25 (think it was close though so if a bunch of people ordered multiple then I'm in the next batch) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a delivery notice today or tomorrow so I can start off my holiday next week soaking in warm glowing warming mid-bass :relieved::fingers_crossed:
:fingers_crossed:for us both!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back