ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Dec 11, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #631 of 2,348
I hate FedEx. Mine didn’t get delivered today. Just says “Pending” but was out for delivery. I set it to hold at a location because I don’t have anyone at home to sign for it, but argh, I was hoping to pick them up on the way home from work.
If you redirect on the day of delivery then they postpone the delivery to next day in most cases

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #632 of 2,348
I hate FedEx. Mine didn’t get delivered today. Just says “Pending” but was out for delivery. I set it to hold at a location because I don’t have anyone at home to sign for it, but argh, I was hoping to pick them up on the way home from work.
I had that issue with another order, give Fedex a call - it might actually be ready at the location for pickup

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #633 of 2,348
I had that issue with another order, give Fedex a call - it might actually be ready at the location for pickup
Yeah, I wonder. I’m gonna call them tomorrow and pop over there at lunch.

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #634 of 2,348
Damn these headphones are great. They've been glued to my head since I got them yesterday. I don't have the vocabulary to explain the sound, but they are some of the most enjoyable cans I have heard in a while. As with all my ZMFs there is no need for eq IMO, the stock tuning is perfect. Didn't even realize I was shaking my head and tapping my feet to the music until my girlfriend asked me what I'm doing :dt880smile:

I can't wait for everyone to get theirs and hear more thoughts on it!

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #635 of 2,348
I'm a bit conflicted – the Bokeh looks pretty neat on paper and in the vid (that tuning!), but I already have the VC and AC (soon, when it ships). I'm a perennial WFH hermit (I leave home 2-3x/mo at best) with a disabled wife (zero travel), so I wouldn't benefit from "portability" one bit. Regardless, at this price, there's no way I would turn down owning another cool ZMF product – but I'd like to have realistic expectations here. So convince me: those that have heard them, are there any other practical benefits to the Bokeh over the VC/AC?
Dude, it's a different flavor from what you own, you barely go out and you're taking care of your wife. Treat yourself. Life is too short.

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #637 of 2,348
That often happens to me with FedEx ground. "On Truck Ready For Delivery" and "out for delivery" mean:

"They're at the dock or warehouse ready for delivery. But if anyone loading the truck or driving the truck gets in a time crunch they will be postponed for tomorrow because today is actually ahead of normal delivery schedule"....or something like that.

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #639 of 2,348
Unless you flagged it ahead of time to be held for you this will most llikely be a waste of time. They won't just go hunting for your package at the destination facility after it's scheduled for delivery.

I mean pop over to the deliver location. I did flag it ahead of time tho

Dec 11, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #640 of 2,348
Just checking back in to say, I spent all day yesterday going back and forth between the VC's (my daily drivers for the past 2 years) and the Bokeh, and I have some interesting results to say the least.

Spoiler alert. . .The Bokeh have become my new daily driver. :astonished:

The VC's have speed that is incredible while having a delicate touch/refinement and smoothness to them at the same time. They make it sound like whatever I am listening to is happening live right there in my room. They do however have a bit of bite up top though (that I have never noticed until the Bokeh entered my life :thinking:), and the bass is incredibly detailed and has good weight and sustain, yet doesn't quite have the weight and punch of the Bokeh. The VC's sound more "Hifi" and transparent and are incredible headphones no doubt, with very unique flavoring, having a bit of middbass bloom and a few dips and peaks up top to balance things out, giving them bite in some areas and smoothness in others. The staging is more diffused and the images are a bit less defined and spread out with the VC's, vs. the tighter and better layered images with the Bokeh and it's ADS.

I have to say the Bokeh gets the win for the most fun headphone and my new favorite ZMF in the lineup. The Bokeh makes it sound like you are transported to wherever the music is happening, instead of being so transparent like with the VC's of which make everything sound like it's happening right there in my room. Two totally different presentations of awesomeness if you ask me. :wink: The ADS (Atrium Damping System) in the Bokeh really lets things breathe and you can hear more detail and little nuances in the mids come through as a result, despite not being quite as fast as the VC. The Bokeh is still super quick sounding, but just not quite as fast as the VC. It's easier to listen to the Bokeh at loud volumes for longer periods of time without any fatigue. Bass is weightier and more in your face with Bokeh but not quite as detailed, yet still really really well done. The Bokeh has better balance through the mids up into the highs and it's incredible how it is trading blows with the VC! The Bokeh is more euphonic throughout the mids as well, and with a smoother transition into the highs, it's so addictive and easy to listen to. The staging of the Bokeh with the ADS really is something special and is probably my favorite thing about this headphone other than the super fun bass response, and euphonic mids. The ADS creates space and lets details come through without sounding forced at all, and the layering and separation of the images is fantastic. The ADS (Atrium Damping System) is amazing in the Bokeh!

This is just a brief summary of the differences between the two, and it's going to take me more time to fully understand all the differences between them, and I will share more on that when I do my final review. However, for now I will say the Bokeh and VC's are both here to stay. The Bokeh have become my daily drivers, but the VC's will still get their time to shine and aren't going anywhere.

What I have learned so far after spending a week with the new Bokeh, is that this headphone transports me to another place with the musicians, and I just can't get enough! Every song sounds different than I have ever heard them sound before and the music is so engaging it's addictive. To top it all off, this headphone is an absolute genre slayer! Talk about saying one more song over and over, this phenomenon is bound to happen with the Bokeh, and it is really hard to put them down once you start listening. :grin:

Zach you seriously outdid yourself with the Bokeh! This headphone scales extremely well off my HA300mk2, and also sings like crazy off my RU7 dongle, and is a real game changer for me. The Bokeh may be the most affordable headphone in the lineup, but it is by no means the least fun or least capable, and is just another flavor of ZMF awesomeness that definitely deserves a spot in the lineup.

I plan to do more listening and comparing all this week, and hope to have my final review up by Friday. I will say this now though, if you own any ZMF's and are looking to add another fun one to the stable this headphone is a no brainer. The Bokeh has it's own sound and own unique magic, that would be right at home in any ZMF fan's stable.

Happy Listening!
Yet again @Wes S you and I agree exactly on this! I feel like people who are expecting a great budget friendly ZMF are going to be SHOCKED at how much head time this one is going to get. It is just so much fun. I've been swamped, but I'll write up my impressions against the Caldera, AC, Empyrean OG and 660 s2 since those are what live with me currently. Can't wait for more people to get their Bokeh and see what it's all about!

Dec 12, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #641 of 2,348
i have spent some time with The Bokeh, to me they're more ZMF's signature style than any other zmfs. You get an immersive soundstage and a great sense of space and imaging – it's like having a cinema in your head. But when we pit them against their price peers like the TH900 or D9200, they don't always come out on top in every category. if compared to AC there still a quite significant gap interms of scale and body.
Now, here's the fun part: bokeh absolutely adore Japanese City Pop – it's as if they were tailor-made for it. if you are into those old songs just go for it. bokeh have really good layering seperating the vocal and background music, but that does not extend too well into more complicated recordings. so its a slightly more portable choice for a easy trip listening. still hope zach could get the weight under 400G and make the outershell more stylish.
1702362188667.jpeg
1702362211787.jpeg
just show off my new volume nob that i made with a violin tunestick and a scull :L3000:

Dec 12, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #642 of 2,348
Yet again @Wes S you and I agree exactly on this! I feel like people who are expecting a great budget friendly ZMF are going to be SHOCKED at how much head time this one is going to get. It is just so much fun. I've been swamped, but I'll write up my impressions against the Caldera, AC, Empyrean OG and 660 s2 since those are what live with me currently. Can't wait for more people to get their Bokeh and see what it's all about!
Heck yeah man! I can't wait for you to hear them off your HA-300MK2 once you get it back, as the synergy is truly magical.

Speaking of the HA300MK2, the Bokeh absolutely sings with some 300B's. I am addicted to this sound!

1000003772.jpg

Long live the Bokeh!

Dec 12, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #643 of 2,348
I have no idea where this package is. Supposedly they won't deliver a direct signature package to a Fedex terminal, but it didn't say that originally, so they're changing it back to my house, and going to let me know? I don't know. Fedex is terrible. I'll receive them eventually...

Dec 12, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #644 of 2,348
I have no idea where this package is. Supposedly they won't deliver a direct signature package to a Fedex terminal, but it didn't say that originally, so they're changing it back to my house, and going to let me know? I don't know. Fedex is terrible. I'll receive them eventually...
You absolutely will get them I am sure, but Fedex is unfortunately a..."fun" service. There's a hint of sarcasm there!

But, I hope you get yours asap, as with everyone who ordered in time.

Dec 12, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #645 of 2,348
Im liking the info on the Boh-kah...time to dive into my first set of cans from ZMF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back