ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Feb 14, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #1,456 of 2,418
Yeah, I am never switching pads or changing mesh on the Bokeh.

The pads are just too difficult to put on. I have never had an issue like this with a ZMF. With the Caldera and Atrium I can get a pad on in 30sec. After 30min I tore one of the suede pads at the seam trying to get those on the Bokeh.

It took me another 15 minutes to get the standard pad back on.

BeelzAlBob's method did not work because the pad is 1/8th inch smaller than the cup of the headphone. Along with the shape and the lip of the pad itself makes it so there is just not enough give or stretch for his method to work.

The moment you got one side into the groove the lip at the other end would pop out as I tried to stretch the pad to compensate for the 1/8th inch size difference between the pad and the cup.

My hands were cramped after all that.

Up until the point I tried to change to the suede pad I rate the first day experience 10/10. After the pad swap attempt, I have to deduct 2 1/2 points. The frustration of trying to pad swap was not a good feeling.

I'm going to take a stab at putting the stock pads back on soon. Wish me luck!

It is unfortunate because with headphones like the NightOwl, I enjoyed "pad rolling". Sometimes I preferred the suede, sometimes I preferred the pleather. With these headphones, I better be ready to commit to the pads I have on there for a while...

And while I don't think there's anything wrong with leaving the headphones as the manufacturer intended (I am not an EQ person after all), the manufacturer also intended for you to be able to change the pads and the mesh, hence the existence of the "tuning kit".

Feb 14, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #1,457 of 2,418
I'm going to take a stab at putting the stock pads back on soon. Wish me luck!

It is unfortunate because with headphones like the NightOwl, I enjoyed "pad rolling". Sometimes I preferred the suede, sometimes I preferred the pleather. With these headphones, I better be ready to commit to the pads I have on there for a while...

And while I don't think there's anything wrong with leaving the headphones as the manufacturer intended (I am not an EQ person after all), the manufacturer also intended for you to be able to change the pads and the mesh, hence the existence of the "tuning kit".
Yeah, all it takes is a 1/8th of an inch to make it such a pain to pad swap.

With the Bliss and the 300KMII both amps give me that variety in sound that I am looking for, so not too disappointed. I wasn't even planning on pad rolling that first day. I only tried it too see how hard it was, and now I know.

Not a waste of money ordering the kit, as I have some extra pads to try when the Caldera closed come out eventually. Zach said he might have a demo unit of the Caldera closed at NY CanJam so I hope that means they might go on sale by the end of 2024. Probably not, but one can hope.

Feb 14, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #1,458 of 2,418
Feb 14, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #1,459 of 2,418
Which headphone did you pick form the list? I am considering buying one.
The Bokeh pictured is the latest ZMF I have acquired.

Feb 14, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #1,460 of 2,418

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 5.28.16 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 5.28.16 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Feb 14, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #1,461 of 2,418
Sorry, I meant from the Norne web site - I did not see Bokeh listed.
Ah! That did present a quandary. I chose the "Focal 3.5m" and followed up in the comments that it was for the new Bokeh.

Feb 14, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #1,462 of 2,418
How about you all just cut a section along the pad. Slide it on then duct tape the cut? Way way easier that way.

Feb 15, 2024 at 12:35 AM Post #1,463 of 2,418
So I just put the stock pads back on and the experience was not as bad as the first time.

I learned a trick that works for me, not sure if it will help anyone else. But basically, once you get to that point where it's like ¾ of the way on (using the official method in the video), the part when it always snaps off for me, use one hand (two fingers) to hold it in place on either side of the unfinished section. Then stick your other hand inside the cup of the pad to push the rest of the leather fitting over the wood. It took me four tries on the left pad to figure this method out, but once it was successful, I got the right pad on in only one try.

Feb 15, 2024 at 1:49 AM Post #1,464 of 2,418
Tried the Bokeh with some PC games and some scenes from some movies.

Turned on Dolby Atmos for Headphones, and played some Marvel's Spider-Man, Baldurs Gate 3, Robocop, and RDR2. Played the 4k version of the final battle of Avengers Endgame, Borg battle in First Contact, and the scene where the Enterprise-D premiers in ST Picard season 3.

It doesn't sound like a you are in a movie theater like with the Meze Elites, 800S, or Atrium. It sounds like you have a desktop 5.1 system on your desk with the speakers 3 feet away.

It's a great headphone for the games I play and for movie watching. Not sure how well it would do in a competitive online FPS game as those are not really my thing.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #1,465 of 2,418
@zach915m , i don't know if this has been asked already, but how long is the bokeh going to be sold at the early adopter price?
At least i understood that the current price is lower than the actual price is going to be (i might be completely wrong about this).

Very interested in these, but probably won't be able to put order in (in) a while.

Feb 15, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #1,467 of 2,418
how long is the bokeh going to be sold at the early adopter price?
At least i understood that the current price is lower than the actual price is going to be (i might be completely wrong about this).
The early price was for the initial run of 250 units. Since those sold out in early January, I imagine the next available batch will be the non-discounted price of $1099 (the price without the tuning kit).

Feb 15, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #1,468 of 2,418
I imagine the next available batch will be the non-discounted price of $1099 (the price without the tuning kit).
Why give such a bad idea to the manufacturer? :smile:

Feb 15, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #1,469 of 2,418
What is your guys' overall impression of how the meshes affect the sound?

To me, stock pads + solid mesh = somewhat V-shaped, in comparison to hybrid pads + burst mesh, which was more neutral. But I haven't tried all the many combinations yet...

Feb 15, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #1,470 of 2,418
So I just put the stock pads back on and the experience was not as bad as the first time.

I learned a trick that works for me, not sure if it will help anyone else. But basically, once you get to that point where it's like ¾ of the way on (using the official method in the video), the part when it always snaps off for me, use one hand (two fingers) to hold it in place on either side of the unfinished section. Then stick your other hand inside the cup of the pad to push the rest of the leather fitting over the wood. It took me four tries on the left pad to figure this method out, but once it was successful, I got the right pad on in only one try.
Probably pushing it, but any chance of a video of this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back