ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Feb 5, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #1,306 of 2,544
I'm assuming your Bokeh came with the stock protein pads on them, but in the off-chance they didn't, you can get more sub-bass with the protein pads if you're able to get them from the European dealer
I believe these are the protein stock pads, at least I hope they are :dt880smile: .

IMG_2041.jpeg

Feb 5, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #1,307 of 2,544
So, I had my Brother and Sister in Law over yesterday, and I let my them have a listen to the Bokeh with the RU7/iMac combo for the first time, and they were completely blown away. My Sister in Law is a professional musician and specifically a singer/vocalist who has been in her share of recording studios in LA and all over the country, and she couldn't get enough, and said it felt like she was right there where it was happening live. She specifically commented on how amazing guitars sounded, and how she could her every instrument in it's own space with all the nuances one usually only hears if you were there while it was happening.

That's quite an endorsement if you ask me. :grin:

One last thing, she has heard my full sized system (VC's with my Sonnet Hermes/Morpheus and HA300MK2) a bunch of times, and said the Bokeh with the RU7 is all she would ever really need, it is that good.

Another win for the Bokeh!
Great story! This makes me even more excited for Bokeh. Coming up on 2 months since its release and my order...

Feb 5, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #1,308 of 2,544
One of the more odd parts of headphone design I encountered while working on the Bokeh and Atrium closed is just that the driver material in the Atrium Closed being high impedance Biocel vs Low Impedance LCP - is that the Biocel 300 ohm driver will have more of a "foundational" feel to the sound whereas the LCP driver is more nimble but doesn't quite have the grip and firm-ness of the Biocel despite measuring fairly closely.

So anyways - yes that's a way of saying, the Atrium Closed definitely has sub-bass rumble, and the timbre of the bass in each is different.
Thank you for sharing!

Feb 5, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #1,309 of 2,544
The measurements can only tell part of the story. Driver material ends up mattering only insofar that the designers and engineers have found a way to work with its natural properties. But I was kinda obsessed with beryllium IEMs for awhile because of the timbre.

On topic: biocel drives create amazing bass. So do other materials. Given the tuning I’m looking forward to what LCP has to offer.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #1,310 of 2,544
Is there going to be an option to buy just the tuning kit (or at least pads) in the near future?

I didn't really know what the tuning kit was when I was selecting add-ons for my bokeh and later on realizing that they were just additional pads and a mesh, I wish I got that add-on when I made my purchase.

I should have read the product page closer because I don't know how I missed that detail.

Feb 5, 2024 at 10:51 PM Post #1,311 of 2,544
Is there going to be an option to buy just the tuning kit (or at least pads) in the near future?

I didn't really know what the tuning kit was when I was selecting add-ons for my bokeh and later on realizing that they were just additional pads and a mesh, I wish I got that add-on when I made my purchase.

I should have read the product page closer because I don't know how I missed that detail.
Reach out to ZMF and ask if you're able to buy it after the fact, they may be able to oblige (though you'd still be out the extra shipping)

Feb 5, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #1,312 of 2,544

The pads are up for individual sale on the site

https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/pads/products/bokeh-pads

The mesh too

https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/diy/products/acoustic-titan-mesh?variant=43950487175331

Feb 5, 2024 at 10:58 PM Post #1,313 of 2,544
If anyone bought the first run BOKEH without tuning kit and wants to add it send us an email and we can get it in there. support@zmfheadphones.com

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 5, 2024 at 10:59 PM Post #1,314 of 2,544
The measurements can only tell part of the story. Driver material ends up mattering only insofar that the designers and engineers have found a way to work with its natural properties. But I was kinda obsessed with beryllium IEMs for awhile because of the timbre.

On topic: biocel drives create amazing bass. So do other materials. Given the tuning I’m looking forward to what LCP has to offer.
Well, if you have auditioned the Sony MDR-Z1R then you know how good the LCP is with bass.

Feb 6, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #1,317 of 2,544
Hello Lovely Folks,

I know there is a huge fan base, around, of the ZMF Headphone, but in all honesty I have never came to think that I would one day be part of this group.

The reason is simple and practical. Living in the European Union I don’t fancy purchasing oversea brands, especially used, due to fees and Customs in case of any need of repair.
I usually don’t see benefit of purchasing new, unless for some rare occasion, and since especially American brands are way more expensive in Europe, I don’t like to do it often.

Nevertheless, I will admit, for some reason, along the journey, I always end up with some US gear like a few Schiit units and a Gilmore Lite MK2 Amp. But obviously always some friendly budget choices, just in case.

So, in this context, and considering ZMF Headphones prices in Europe, both new and used, I always thought that I would never even get to try one. In theory, and for my main style of music (Instrumental Progressive metal/rock), both Atrium options always got me curious, but in reality, the best I could aim, for the price, would be an Atticus and still with a lot of reservations.

I don´t have much experience with Headphones, also because demoing units in my Country is almost impossible, and so every choice is a blind one. I had the Meze 109 Pro and Empyrean OG (also with the angled pads) and they were sold at some point, not because I didn’t enjoy them but because they always lacked something for me, or a particular aspect was a dealbreaker in the long run.

Funny enough is that usually people tend to bash Grado Headphones but they are my favorites. Inexpensive (especially the older models), with great sound and can be “modded” to your liking for the price of Utopia original pads - That is what cost me to render my 325i golden edition extremely comfortable and with pads that tailored it to my liking, as I like bass also a lot and usually Grado are not known for it in the first place. I also enjoyed the Hemp in the past but that "hose" they have for a cable was, unfortunately, a total dealbreaker for me.

Anyway, rumble aside, lets get to the chase of it.

So not being a follower of the ZMF threads, I totally missed the Bokeh and its launching campaign. Only recently found out about it and after reading and finding everything I could about it, I got convinced that this could suit my music and taste just fine.

I ended up by purchasing a unit from an European dealer who had just received 2 units, my timing was just pure luck. They are totally impossible to get at this moment everywhere. They cost a lot in Europe, but considering the future price, customs, fees and shipping, they are still cheaper to get from a European dealer and with the bonus of fulfilling their duties, at least within the warranty period, without having to ship it directly to the US in case of need. So it was either go for it now or just forget it forever. What the hell, we only live once after all! :dt880smile:

So I got them a few days ago. First impressions in terms of looks and construction met what I have read about them. A Beautiful HP but still practical that would entice me to use it instead of exposing it somewhere as with some of the other models I see around - no pun intended.

I have read here and there some people complaint about weight and comfort with some models. So the idea I had, generally, is that the ZMF is comfortable overall but not suiting everyone.

My first surprise was comfort. I don’t know if it is my small head or not, but these are the most comfortable HP I have ever used. I can use them for hours and hours and still they are a breeze to wear. And this is coming from someone who had the Empyrean, which were obviously also comfortable but you could notice the cumbersome of it, hard to explain, despite being a lighter HP, to me and from memory, they felt heavier than the Bokeh. It fits as a glove and I get the feeling it is compact, something that the Empyrean was not! So very impressed indeed and totally unexpected.

This is my first closed Headphone, so I cannot compare it to anything else, but in terms of isolation I was expecting, in theory, less leakage, but I guess that maybe my theoretical expectations are just too unrealistic. They are obviously a lot better than any open can I tried at any point in time.

Sound quality, out of the box, kind of reminded me my modified 325i, which again says a lot about Grado and its inexpensive but great quality sound models, and those are good news since it means it sorts of suits my style straight away. Nevertheless, from everything I read, I was expecting more impact from the bass. Mid-bass punch is nice but I’m missing sub-bass rumble. Don’t get me wrong, it is there, just not as much as I want it to be. I guess I just may be a bass-head after all, just not at the expense of everything else. And here Im happy to see that it doesn’t bleed much to other frequencies, at least to my not very demanded ears. Depending on the song it may give the impression of bleeding a little but it seems more of an impression than anything else, to me. I obviously like it anyway.
I was surprised with the treble as I’m used to Grado treble and the Bokeh, out of the box, is not far from it, which is surprising since most people bitches about Grado treble but not about the Bokeh. I like it obviously!

The cable seems nice, a little microphonic in my opinion. I will probably end by getting a Forza cable, a no brainer to me.

Overall a warm sound, but not at the Empyrean level, thank God! I love warmish but the Meze was just too much, it even gave the feeling of masking the detail and resolution of it. Here it is way more to my taste, for sure.

Let me say that if I hadn’t listened to a Grado, I would have been mesmerized, but in this case, I was just surprised to listen to some sort of familiar sound but with obviously different nuances, especially in the lower end.

Now, a few days later, and many, many hours of listening I notice that the sound is changing for sure. Treble is definitely tamed, which is not bad (for my personal taste, just different, but I believe many will appreciate this), and I get the impression that the bass is wakening up, finally! More rumble for sure and a lot of mid-bass impact but more controlled, seems also a little faster, but not Empyrean fast obviously.

Overall a dynamic, impactful, forward sound. So much fun! The exact same reason why I love Grado. They are now more different for sure but share the same vision, in my book.

Keep in mind that I´m using it with a Violectric V222, which I don´t know if it is the more suited, and with an inexpensive Schiit dac - but still a lovely banger for the price. I still believe they work just fine as the Violectric sound sort of reminds some tube amps, despite being a SS one. From what I got, ZMF has good synergy with tubes and it seems that the Bokeh might just work with almost everything out there. It doesn´t seems very picky at all, at least from my first impressions, but for sure it will scale a lot better with some gear than other. Still a very recent and new product to know for sure.

The Bokeh is overall a keeper, no doubts, and I’m excited for the next few weeks as I’m sure it still reserves some surprises for me, the longer I will put it to its pace.

My biggest advise, to anyone just getting it, is don’t judge the book by its cover, and despite your initial thoughts, just give it a go for a few days or weeks (depending on the use you give to it) because the sound really changes, matures, refines or whatever is happening to the drivers, and I’m not a great believer of “burn-in”.

Cheers.
If you like Sub bass then I guess Atrium Open from ZMF is what you are looking for. Atrium open has good impact with right amp and dac.

Feb 6, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #1,318 of 2,544
You know a headphone is good, when it constantly makes you want to search for new music. The Bokeh is absolutely fantastic with every genre I throw at it, and really take me on a journey of musical exploration and admiration every time I listen with them. My music library has never sounded better, and is growing at faster pace than ever before. The tuning of the Bokeh is next level no doubt, and I just can't get enough of this headphone. The Bokeh truly is magical. :grin:

1000004497.jpg

Long live the Bokeh!

Feb 6, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #1,319 of 2,544
It's been a long while since I've owned a decent pair of headphones. The ZMFs caught my eye early on but were all way out of my budget so I had pretty much settled on the Meze 109 pro but then I stumbled onto the Bokeh.
Are there any current or former owners of both who can chime in on some of the differences?
The only other pair of closed backs I have owned were the Beyer DT770 pro. I liked them alot. Open backs I have owned are the Sennheiser HD650 and Philips Fidelio X2HR which I also enjoyed. Would love to own a nice pair of both open and closed again but I gotta go with just one for now.

Feb 6, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #1,320 of 2,544
It's been a long while since I've owned a decent pair of headphones. The ZMFs caught my eye early on but were all way out of my budget so I had pretty much settled on the Meze 109 pro but then I stumbled onto the Bokeh.
Are there any current or former owners of both who can chime in on some of the differences?
The only other pair of closed backs I have owned were the Beyer DT770 pro. I liked them alot. Open backs I have owned are the Sennheiser HD650 and Philips Fidelio X2HR which I also enjoyed. Would love to own a nice pair of both open and closed again but I gotta go with just one for now.
I used to own the 109 Pro but it's been probably 9 months or so since I sold it so just going by memory - The 109 Pro was a bit v-shaped. Sharper and more crisp sounding with more pronounced highs. It had solid bass which was probably a bit tighter and punchier than the bokeh but it had less bass overall and it was less impactful. Just in general the 109 had less weight to the sound. The mids were also not as present as they are on the Bokeh (specially with the Hybrid or Suede pads). I don't really remember how it stacked up in terms of soundstage and imaging.

The 109 Pro was a good, fun, headphone but the Bokeh is on another level imo. Not to mention you can tweak the sound of it quite a bit from stock with pads and mesh. Currently I'm using hybrid pads with solid mesh and it's just enveloping, lush, impactful without being boomy, warm without being muddy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back