ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
May 26, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #2,461 of 2,543
I asked this in the new zmf thread but thought i would put it out here as well.. does anyone have both the aelous and bokeh? If so, any comparisons? Also I currently use the meze 109 pro and wp900. I am trying to work out if to ditch the 109 pro for aelous or wp900 for the bokeh..

May 26, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #2,462 of 2,543
Going back and forth again between my Bokeh and Aeon 2 Noire using my Feliks Echo Mk2 amp. The Bokeh sound more "live" compared to the Noire. I'm listening to some jazz and classical. I hesitate to use the word "shouty" can seem to have a bit of that compared with the Noire. But perhaps "live" is a better word to use. I don't have the mesh on the Bokeh and I'm using the leather/suede pads. With the Noire I'm not using any filter pads.

May 28, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #2,463 of 2,543
Hello! Has anyone else experienced this? I used Bokeh a lot, and after the burn-in, they sounded excellent. I then had a week or two break from listening. When I listen to them now after the break, they sound somehow muffled, the treble is kind of wishy-washy, the bass is somewhat muddy. They lack clarity and detail. Not at all as they sounded before the pause. Is this something to be expected? Do they need to be burned in again after a period of not using them? Same sources, no changes there.

Last edited:
May 28, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #2,464 of 2,543
Hello! Has anyone else experienced this? I used Bokeh a lot, and after the burn-in, they sounded excellent. I then had a week or two break from listening. When I listen to them now after the break, they sound somehow muffled, the treble is kind of wishy-washy, the bass is somewhat muddy. Not at all as they sounded before the pause. Is this something to be expected? Do they need to be burned in again after a period of not using them? Same sources, no changes there.
If the headphones don't sound obviously broken, then I'd suggest giving it a couple of days, and I am pretty sure, everything will be back to normal. It can happen after a break, that the brain needs to readjust to the sound. It can take a few hours; it can take one or two days.
If you feel the same way after two days, there could be something wrong with the headphones and I would investigate further, but our brain can often play some tricks on us.

May 28, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #2,465 of 2,543
Hello! Has anyone else experienced this? I used Bokeh a lot, and after the burn-in, they sounded excellent. I then had a week or two break from listening. When I listen to them now after the break, they sound somehow muffled, the treble is kind of wishy-washy, the bass is somewhat muddy. Not at all as they sounded before the pause. Is this something to be expected? Do they need to be burned in again after a period of not using them? Same sources, no changes there.
I haven't noticed that specifically with the Bokeh, but I have had similar experiences in general with just about all my headphones. I noticed my hearing changes day to day slightly. One day i'm rocking out with a pair of headphones thinking they're prefect. The next day same everything on the gear side, but I'm not satisfied. Instead they sound wrong or off. Then i'll go back a day or two later and they're great again. Give it a day and see how it goes. You don't need to re-break in the set. Our brains and ears are not consistent when it comes to audio. So many variables at play, it's impossible to tell what's going on.

May 28, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #2,466 of 2,543
That's because "break-in" is psychological phenomenon :)

(Yes, I know I'm setting myself up to be tarred-and-feathered). But "break-in" is just your brain adjusting to a new sound. If you go a long time without hearing it, or with using a different pair of headphones, you may need a bit to readjust.

May 28, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #2,467 of 2,543

My brain has not burned in yet. I hate to go compare with other headphones, but so far, I am having trouble with how mine sound. I will try a few more sources and go through the burn in before too much complaining.

May 28, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #2,468 of 2,543
I asked this in the new zmf thread but thought i would put it out here as well.. does anyone have both the aelous and bokeh? If so, any comparisons? Also I currently use the meze 109 pro and wp900. I am trying to work out if to ditch the 109 pro for aelous or wp900 for the bokeh..
I have the Bokeh and Aeolus. They have similar, warm sound signatures with somewhat relaxed, smooth treble--not at all fatiguing during longer listening sessions. The Aeolus is a bit more forward in the upper-mid/lower-treble region (1k-5k) than the Bokeh; the Bokeh has a bit more weight in the bass (which is to be expected, since it is a closed-back). There is some room for customization with pad swapping, and they both respond well to EQ. Plenty of detail and lovely texture in both. The Aeolus responds better to tubes amps in my experience, whereas the Bokeh is easier to drive with portable gear. I don't have experience with the Mezes, so can't help with those comparisons.

May 28, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #2,469 of 2,543
I have the Bokeh and Aeolus. They have similar, warm sound signatures with somewhat relaxed, smooth treble--not at all fatiguing during longer listening sessions. The Aeolus is a bit more forward in the upper-mid/lower-treble region (1k-5k) than the Bokeh; the Bokeh has a bit more weight in the bass (which is to be expected, since it is a closed-back). There is some room for customization with pad swapping, and they both respond well to EQ. Plenty of detail and lovely texture in both. The Aeolus responds better to tubes amps in my experience, whereas the Bokeh is easier to drive with portable gear. I don't have experience with the Mezes, so can't help with those comparisons.
That is very helpful.. leaning towards the aelous with some suede perf pads l. Thank you

May 28, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #2,470 of 2,543
That's because "break-in" is psychological phenomenon :)

(Yes, I know I'm setting myself up to be tarred-and-feathered). But "break-in" is just your brain adjusting to a new sound. If you go a long time without hearing it, or with using a different pair of headphones, you may need a bit to readjust.
I was skeptical, too, in the past. Yet, with Bokeh, the sonic qualities evolved over time in ways that I cannot attribute just to the brain adjustment. Also, it's not like I listened to anything else in between to get used to something else; I just took a break from listening.

Last edited:
May 28, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #2,471 of 2,543
My brain has not burned in yet. I hate to go compare with other headphones, but so far, I am having trouble with how mine sound. I will try a few more sources and go through the burn in before too much complaining.
If you have just started your journey with Bokeh, I suggest giving them more time. I was a bit underwhelmed, too, the first time I listened to them. The sound opened and came into focus gradually over time, ending up sounding glorious (to me).

May 28, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #2,472 of 2,543
Music was on random play and this track from Witcher-3 came up. Got the lossless files free with the game on GOG.com.
The subtle low bass rumble made me sit up and look around...thought something was shaking my house 😯
Nice job Bokeh!

BF2 2/64 > LTA Velo

May 28, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #2,473 of 2,543
Music was on random play and this track from Witcher-3 came up. Got the lossless files free with the game on GOG.com.
The subtle low bass rumble made me sit up and look around...thought something was shaking my house 😯
Nice job Bokeh!

BF2 2/64 > LTA Velo

This one has a nice low bass rumble.

Attachments

• IMG_2330.png
    IMG_2330.png
    994.1 KB · Views: 0
May 30, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #2,474 of 2,543
Your fault!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20240530_141137002.jpg
    IMG_20240530_141137002.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back