ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Mar 23, 2024 at 6:46 AM Post #2,071 of 2,491
I’m sure the Cayin and Feliks are also awesome. They are super highly regarded, but I can just say I’m super happy with the WA2 for these past few weeks with the Atrium, so I bet it would pair really well with Bokeh, though it is OTL and I don’t think it has the same mitigation as the Feliks at least, so the impedance for the Bokeh is probably about as low as you would want to go with it. Definitely would want to research that a bit before committing…
Well I think it’s certainly these three and as I said I can audition the all but the WA.

However, I might possibly look at the WA-22 as its pre-amp could go to my 3X GT for the power boost.

But it’s a hell of an ask to import such a beast.

Whatever I choose, I’ll hold off till London CanJam as you never know what there might be to try.

Mar 23, 2024 at 8:16 AM Post #2,072 of 2,491
Well I think it’s certainly these three and as I said I can audition the all but the WA.

However, I might possibly look at the WA-22 as its pre-amp could go to my 3X GT for the power boost.

But it’s a hell of an ask to import such a beast.

Whatever I choose, I’ll hold off till London CanJam as you never know what there might be to try.
The 22 is also awesome, but at least with the Atrium, I find I’m listening to it with the 2 a whole lot more. Auditioning sounds like a really good idea in this situation!

Mar 23, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #2,073 of 2,491
After some experimentation, I’ve found that my preferred arrangement is protein pads and stock perforated mesh with a slight EQ bump (2-3 dB) around 2.5k and again at 4.5k—gives a bit more clarity in that area without compromising the warm, rich tuning. With that combination, I find myself listening longer and enjoying music more than I have with just about any other headphones.

Mar 23, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #2,074 of 2,491
Good idea! I managed to find a couple of options, but they only come with the protein pads. Hopefully Bokeh responds to EQ well, since I don't want to get blasted with bass all the time. I'll hunt a pair of hybrids pads at some point. Thanks.
Well you could just buy the other pads straight from ZMF if needed. I wouldn't say the Bokeh is a bass cannon though, if that's a concern.

Mar 23, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #2,075 of 2,491
So I also have a Caldera open and Atrium closed, and the Bokeh still finds a good amount of time. My home set up is the big two, caldera and AC, running on the aegis. Will the Bokeh supplant either of those headphones? No, not for me.

The bokeh is my jack of all times headphone. I've got it at work at the moment, where it gets head time either off a portable source or the matrix mini i4 pro. I also take it with me for a peaceful and musical lunch often. The nice thing about the Bokeh is that it pairs very well with a lot of sources, works with any genre that suites my mood at the time, and doesn't stress me out when I take it out of a controlled environment such as my home. Looking forward to the smaller carry case, as the bokeh would be great on trips. You might as well stop fighting the tide and grab one! :wink:

#BulgingMesh
My approach is very similar. My home setup (that gets most of my attention) is the AC along with the Audeze and Focal headphones with my Decware Tube Amp..

The Bokeh come with me when I visit friends (along with my ifi Go Bar, DAPs, and other almost portable sources) as a way to introduce them to this hobby that we all love. To experience listening to music in a different way from simply a phone and Air Pods or similar Buds. To encourage them to consider joining us on this journey without a seriously large initial start-up cost.

Mar 23, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #2,076 of 2,491
I have the same issue, and it's really annoying. Zach responded earlier about the issue and suggested putting some paracord spacers directly beneath the pads to give you a few extra mm and hopefully eliminate that contact. I got the paracord but haven't tried installing yet. Hopefully that would skew the sound less than swapping to thicker non-Bokeh pads.
Or you can use cam lock gaskets, they are usually .25” thick.
Another option is solid natural latex band. This option is use most as you can get the from 2mm-7mm diameter thick. 2mm-3mm has almost no effect in sound. Beyond 3mm thick is when you start to hear effects. I have a few sizes made in different thickness and ring diameter sizes, I dubbed them my tuning ring inserts lol. These I just slip them between the pad and the pad’s fabric mesh.
E70E3F48-06E1-4286-93B8-A6D5999156D8.jpeg

Mar 24, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #2,077 of 2,491
I've had some head time with the Bokehs, and initial impressions have been mostly great. I'm not sure if the drivers were burned in at shop before being shipped out, but I'll find out with use. The build and look are wonderful, and everything feels like the asking price. I accidentally broke the stitch off one of the suede pads when swapping for the first time, but it seems to be purely cosmetic. The right cup also squeaks a bit around the rod/gimbal when being rotated, but my LCD-X does the same thing and I'll eventually get lubricant for it.

The overall fit and comfort is really nice. The pads are a bit thin and my ears touch the mesh like what others have said, but it surprisingly doesn't intrude much. I did buy a pair of Caldera Suedes, which should be thick enough as my ears don't protrude out much. The clamp feels just right, the headband system is genius, and the pads are quite soft. There's no doubt I now want to have more ZMF pads on my headphones in the future.

Sound-wise, I have been using the suede pads with the solid mesh. It's reminiscent of my HD 660s, but the signature is more romantic overall. The bass is soft and unobtrusive, the mids are warm and sweet in just the right amount, and the treble is forgiving. It makes for a slightly midrange-focused sound, but it's well-balanced in a way where it doesn't feel forward. Of the closed backs I have used, I think it wins in terms of having a natural tonal balance, which is impressive. Pretty much every genre I have listened to with the Bokehs has sounded non-fatiguing and pleasant. Staging depth and imaging are both really good, but they also have enough haziness to allow me to simply enjoy music rather than analyze it.

Hats off to Zach's team for making a headphone that's more accessible to newcomers, excellent job. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up snagging another pair at Axpona since ZMFs are so gorgeous and well-made. I remember the Caldera sounding very smooth and well-balanced at CanJam last year, so that may end up becoming a future companion. :beyersmile:

Mar 24, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #2,078 of 2,491
Anyone buying a second pair of the Bokeh's with the Natural Black Limba Wood? I am tempted.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #2,080 of 2,491
Anyone buying a second pair of the Bokeh's with the Natural Black Limba Wood? I am tempted.
Too many more headphones to buy to invest solely in a second pair just for the aesthetics… but that is just my reasoning!

Mar 24, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #2,082 of 2,491
I won't lie, I thought about it... bit too soon for me though..
*edit addition - I'd like to get a stabilized ZMF at some point but I dunno if the Bokeh would be a good candidate, I feel like it might lose some of its vibe with a harder wood/material. Also wouldn't really want one much heavier. Maybe Zach will do a burnt ash version at some point...

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #2,083 of 2,491
I won't lie, I thought about it... bit too soon for me though..
*edit addition - I'd like to get a stabilized ZMF at some point but I dunno if the Bokeh would be a good candidate, I feel like it might lose some of its vibe with a harder wood/material. Also wouldn't really want one much heavier. Maybe Zach will do a burnt ash version at some point...
But it wood (ha) make it cheaper, since I assume this finish isn’t cheap?

Mar 24, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #2,084 of 2,491
Hmm...a second Bokeh is an idea... :thinking:

That way I could keep one with protein/burst and the other with hybrid/solid, since those are the best, but different combinations that sound better with different music.

Only problem is I don't have unlimited funds, so can't really do that right now. :p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back