ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Apr 5, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #6,032 of 6,230
They're not going to sound like that out of the Stellaris, especially if it was the Decware OTL. Sonic ooey gooey from the Decware. The Stellaris is much more linear than an OTL or 300b, IMO.
Wasn’t the decware, i don’t think they had it with them at that time, or at least I don’t remember trying it. I know the OTL/SET differences, just wondered if those that had tried dna with atrium liked that pairing.

Apr 5, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #6,033 of 6,230
Been breaking in the AC that last week and put the AO on for the first time in a couple of weeks for an extended listen on the tube amp.
This album is great on the Atrium on tubes. The vocals are crazy good.
Screenshot 2024-04-05 084803.png

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #6,034 of 6,230
Hey guys, new Atrium Open owner here. Im looking for an amp that push the vocals forward and smooths out the treble. Any recommendation between 300-600 usd? (tube or ss)
What DAC are you using? In my experience it's important to consider synergy when you're trying to dial in a preference.

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #6,035 of 6,230
I have not listened via Atrium Open (Aged Cherry) in some time; Atrium Open (LTD Cocobolo) has been getting the 'headtime'.
IMG_7720.jpeg
What a pleasure! The slightly added sonorousness from the less hard aged cherry vs cocobolo is delightful - especially on massed strings, on massed voices, on piano. [Cherry janka hardness rating is 950; Cocobolo janka hardness rating is 2960.]

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 11:19 PM Post #6,036 of 6,230
Hey guys, new Atrium Open owner here. Im looking for an amp that push the vocals forward and smooths out the treble. Any recommendation between 300-600 usd? (tube or ss)

I recently got the Eufonika H5, it might be a little bit over your budget or right around it but it's a very good pairing with Atrium. Very clear vocals, smooth and overall euphonic. I've heard good things about Schiit x Nitsch Pietus Maximus and Midgard too. I haven't heard those personally though. As far as value goes this is what comes to mind.

And as always, the Unofficial amp thread of ZMF is a good resource: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-un-official-amp-thread-for-zmf-headphones.965309/

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #6,037 of 6,230

A used Bottlehead Crack (with the speed ball mod) will probably do the trick. Also, have you tried the Auteur pads with it?

Apr 6, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #6,039 of 6,230
Im using a Schiit Modius
Gotcha, Schiit makes some good stuff.

I don't have much experience in the 3-600 range personally, but I have found that tubes are (in general) a great compliment to ZMFs. I had used the Massdrop/Cavalli Tube Hybrid for a while, which gave me my 1st taste of tube magic.

I imagine that the previous recommendations would probably work great with the Modius, and I've heard great things about the Feliks Echo, which might be found (used) in your price range.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #6,040 of 6,230
Im using a Schiit Modius
The AO is such a beautiful sounding headphone with so much scalability, you will quickly find that you want a better DAC and amp. Start saving up!

Apr 6, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #6,041 of 6,230
I would look at trying some different pads first, they have a rather big impact on the sound and might be just the thing you're looking for. What pads are you using now? Stock?

Apr 6, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #6,042 of 6,230
I would look at trying some different pads first, they have a rather big impact on the sound and might be just the thing you're looking for. What pads are you using now? Stock?
I have tried stock, auteur hybrid, caldera ultra perf, be2 suede and auteur suede. But neither of those gave me the focus on the vocals and smooth treble that Im looking for.

Apr 6, 2024 at 11:44 PM Post #6,044 of 6,230
I have tried stock, auteur hybrid, caldera ultra perf, be2 suede and auteur suede. But neither of those gave me the focus on the vocals and smooth treble that Im looking for.
I'd try the be2 suedes again with the solid mesh if you have it available.

Apr 7, 2024 at 7:35 AM Post #6,045 of 6,230
Try to find a second hand Feliks echo. Not the last version which has the input selector.. the first serie was simple and very effective.. I got one and it's fantastic.. my AO are still incoming. But I have friends with much mor expensive amps who told me that the pairing of the echo and AO its so special, that they couldn't get rid off the echo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back