ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Feb 12, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #5,776 of 6,216
so I had my atrium for around a week now, and I'm notice something weird that the sounds seems to be coming from behind me(almost like the phase has been inverted), and vocals seems to be coming from right at my face, does that change or is that just how the atrium sounds?
Can you explain that in more detail?
Since you're talking about phase and I might be on the wrong track.
There are Dacs where you can invent the phase, and you only do that if you use Us or Eu/Japan XLR cables because the polarity on the XLR is reversed on one pin.
Or are you talking about a phase where you believe that the Atrium has become a little more familiar through playing time?
I personally didn't pay attention to that but since you mentioned it I'm not sure anymore.
Because you could be right and I didn't even realise it indirectly.
Depending on the recording, you still get the feeling that the vocals are sneaking up behind you and whispering in your ear.
But I would describe that as normal with the Atrium.

Feb 12, 2024 at 11:56 PM Post #5,777 of 6,216
so I had my atrium for around a week now, and I'm notice something weird that the sounds seems to be coming from behind me(almost like the phase has been inverted), and vocals seems to be coming from right at my face, does that change or is that just how the atrium sounds?
Make sure your clamping force isn’t too high. If the pads are compressed too much from the clamping force it can make the stage feel tiny or odd sounding and muddy the mid range.

Feb 13, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #5,778 of 6,216
Feb 13, 2024 at 7:58 AM Post #5,779 of 6,216
Feb 13, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #5,781 of 6,216
Posting this here as it helped a couple people on the Bokeh thread. Wanted to quickly share my method for switching ZMF pads, as I continue to see folks struggling with this on all the different ZMF threads and this cuts the pad change time down to seconds. Please try this and let me know if it helps.

WHAT SORCERY IS THIS

Feb 16, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #5,783 of 6,216
Guys are the Be2 perforated suede pads as deep as the stock ones that come with the atrium?
The perf leather Be2 are considerably shallower, I'd imagine the suedes are too, I'm sure someone else can confirm.

Feb 16, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #5,784 of 6,216
The perf leather Be2 are considerably shallower, I'd imagine the suedes are too, I'm sure someone else can confirm.
Universe pads are much deeper. I tried to measure difference between Be2 leather and suede and it seems to me its the same. Suede are more pillowy, so maybe it compress more on head.

Feb 16, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #5,785 of 6,216
Guys are the Be2 perforated suede pads as deep as the stock ones that come with the atrium?
Be2 are significantly slimmer. My personal favorites, btw. They add slam and punch and clean up some of the marshmallowy sound I get from the Universe pads. This is, of course, my opinion, and YMMV.

Feb 17, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #5,786 of 6,216
Be2 are significantly slimmer. My personal favorites, btw. They add slam and punch and clean up some of the marshmallowy sound I get from the Universe pads. This is, of course, my opinion, and YMMV.
Added slam and punch? Now I am going to have to try the Be2 pads on my Atrium. Hadn’t done that since the ZMF chart shows it as being “brighter” than the Universe, which I didn’t particularly want. That marshmallowy (*tm-ColSaulTigh) sound may very well be what I love about the Atrium, but we shall see!

Of course that means I’ll have to pry them off my Verite, for which it is my favorite pad.

Feb 17, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #5,787 of 6,216
Marshmallowy sound goes well with tube glow :darthsmile:

IMG_2929.jpg

Feb 17, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #5,790 of 6,216
I could swear i am hearing things i haven't heard before in songs with this headphone, it's happened multiple times already. I am sure the actual sounds are there on other headphones of course, but with the atrium they are just much more noticeable somehow.

This headphone is also the king of intangibles imo. All the stuff you can't measure is excellent here, on top of the excellent tuning.

Great holographic staging, excellent instrument separation, very good slam, great timbre.

This is also the first headphone that offers a completely fatigueless listen for me, and that is with the stock tuning + universe pads, no EQ at all.

With every other headphone i have heard, even the 600 series, i am not able to turn the volume up like i am able to with the atrium and experience no fatigue at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back