ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Jan 4, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #5,506 of 6,196
I know this is a weird thing to do... But I agree with this post of mine from a week or so ago... As in I'm even more sure about it now than I was when I first wrote it:

Best Atrium for a fun (but still classy) listen - Universe Pads + Radial mesh

Best Atrium for a more neutral, more resolving (but still very enjoyable) listen - Caldera Pads + Stock perforated mesh.

I've mostly been rocking the stock and solid mesh since I got Atrium. I had to try the radial mesh again thanks to this post. I remember not liking it nearly as much as I do now. I don't know what changed but the little bit of extra treble is awesome. I probably won't leave them on permanently though.

Jan 6, 2024 at 5:54 AM Post #5,507 of 6,196
Currently using the radial mesh with the Verite pads which I know a couple of people like, and it's honestly hard to take them off. My preference is the Auteur pads with the solid or stock mesh which makes them slightly dark, smooth and highly addictive with a huge stage. This combination completely changes the sound to a more linear/ aggressive sound. The mids are pushed even more forward. I can definitely see how it's too much for some so YMMV. There's a hint of sibilance on some tracks, but the lift in clarity in the mids and treble is great. Always fun to try something new with the Atrium :)

Edit: Also for anyone new to "mesh swaps" it's super easy to do, but it's probably not recommended to do it *too* often because wear and tear in the wood. I like to slap on a mesh for a couple of months, and just leave it. The most important thing to do is to not overtighten the screws because of the wood and you don't wanna mess up the threads. I've swapped the mesh maybe 5 times now, and so far so good following this guide:

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #5,508 of 6,196
I now have the Universe, Auteur and Caldera UP, all lambskin. I look forward to testing them out. I only have the stock mesh. I may order the others with my next ZMF order.

Jan 6, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #5,510 of 6,196
Jan 6, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #5,511 of 6,196

Had a damn good time listening to Eva Cassidy tonight. This whole album is a must listen with the Atrium.

This was the first album I listened to when I got my Atriums. One of my go to Albums when trying a new tube or piece of gear.

Jan 7, 2024 at 4:10 AM Post #5,512 of 6,196
I see there are two versions of this album on Qobuz. One is an “audience muted” version. Like transforming a live album into a studio album? Why? Interesting phenomenon that I am not familiar with. Which one do you listen to?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #5,513 of 6,196
I see there are two versions of this album on Qobuz. One is an “audience muted” version. Like transforming a live album into a studio album? Why? Interesting phenomenon that I am not familiar with. Which one do you listen to?

First time I noticed this, weird. Definitely listening myself to the original live recording, audience and all. Such a wonderful album, why would anyone want to mess with it?

Jan 7, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #5,514 of 6,196
Does anyone have opinions / experience on whether the Astell&Kern Kann Ultra will be able to power the Atriums to their full potential? I don’t have the space to get separate desktop components, so hoping to use a DAP. Would appreciate any experience on if the Kann Ultra would work well with the Atriums…

Jan 7, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #5,515 of 6,196
Does anyone have opinions / experience on whether the Astell&Kern Kann Ultra will be able to power the Atriums to their full potential? I don’t have the space to get separate desktop components, so hoping to use a DAP. Would appreciate any experience on if the Kann Ultra would work well with the Atriums…
Should work well. My ibasso dx300 is powering up Atrium very well, Kann Ultra should do the job too. There is still a lot room to improve, best dap substitute to desktop setup would be something like ibasso 320 Max Ti

Jan 7, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #5,516 of 6,196
Can confirm. They sound fantastic on the Ultra.

Jan 8, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #5,520 of 6,196
Currently using the radial mesh with the Verite pads which I know a couple of people like, and it's honestly hard to take them off. My preference is the Auteur pads with the solid or stock mesh which makes them slightly dark, smooth and highly addictive with a huge stage. This combination completely changes the sound to a more linear/ aggressive sound. The mids are pushed even more forward. I can definitely see how it's too much for some so YMMV. There's a hint of sibilance on some tracks, but the lift in clarity in the mids and treble is great. Always fun to try something new with the Atrium :)

Edit: Also for anyone new to "mesh swaps" it's super easy to do, but it's probably not recommended to do it *too* often because wear and tear in the wood. I like to slap on a mesh for a couple of months, and just leave it. The most important thing to do is to not overtighten the screws because of the wood and you don't wanna mess up the threads. I've swapped the mesh maybe 5 times now, and so far so good following this guide:

So I just received my set of perforated mesh for the Atrium as my set came with the solid mesh installed from the previous owner (and I didn't see where they had a set of perforated included in the carrying case). I'll be honest, I'm trying REALLY hard not to fall victim to the "well others say the swap should do this so that's what I'm hearing" mentality, but to be fair it's hard not to install something like this and not listen harder for what you think you should hear based on what other say. Plus, it's not exactly the easiest thing to A/B considering the time it takes to install them vs. a simple pad swap.

Anyway, after watching the video where Zach shows how the process is done he basically says that the difference is fairly negligible (in his terms anyway) between the perforated mesh and the solid mesh even though this doesn't appear to be the findings of many in this thread. I'm curious if you all think this is one of those "measurements don't tell the whole story" thing or what?

I'd also like some thoughts as to whether it's possible that with perforated mesh vs. solid it could make a user feel like the sound is more holographic? I see many comments about the highs becoming more prevalent, but is it also possible that with these notes being more brought forward or with more sounds from the driver getting through I'm able to sense things being more holographic? (Flame suit on........)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back