ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Mar 10, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #4,276 of 6,197
I'm using the OFC cable, which to be honest is a bit too stiff and heavy for my liking so I might get an aftermarket cable. Norne or Viking Weave cables are looking gorgeous.

I'm getting very good results from 16 core 7N OCC black braided earphone cable from ebay seller audiograded. Seriously good sound, a bargain at the price.
Transparency and detail are excellent and without any HF emphasis or harshness or anything nasty at all. Just seems to do everything right. More expensive ones are likely to do this a touch better, but I doubt there is much in it.

I tried a similar cable from this seller with my Cayin N8 dap/Audio Zenith PMx2 setup and liked it so much compared to the standard Oppo cable that I got the one for the ZMFs.

Mar 11, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #4,277 of 6,197
I love how engaging Atrium can be, but depending on the music they can literally put you to sleep too (this is a compliment). Super smooth vocals, clear and non-offensive treble which I prefer.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #4,278 of 6,197
IMG_0179.jpg

Mar 12, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #4,279 of 6,197
I'm finally getting around to trying the perf suede BE2 pads on the Atrium. I have to say I really like what I'm hearing so far.

Mar 13, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #4,280 of 6,197
I've had a blast the past 6+ hours (with breaks). I need to rest my ears but I don't want to take them off. New toy syndrome, yada yada, I know haha.
Something that wasn't immediately obvious to me was the "layering" to the music that I've never experienced before with headphones. LCD-X did this somewhat but Atrium does it in a bigger scale. It becomes more clear when you sit back and listen. Instruments feel larger, drums sound incredibly real as if there's some tactile feel that is super satisfying.
If you don't mind me asking, how is the soundstage width and depth of the Atrium vs. the LCD-X? Also curious as to how the headphones feel on your head in comparison weight wise. I've had the ability to try out the LCD-X for a few weeks and while the bass could be intoxicating I preferred the way my HFM Ananda/Arya stealth's offered what felt like a wider soundstage and much reduced weight vs. the X.

The Atriums do have me considering selling my Arya's though as it sounds like the Atrium would be more "engaging" than the HFM for many of the types of music I like to listen to. (Not huge into jazz or classical.)

Mar 16, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #4,281 of 6,197
If you don't mind me asking, how is the soundstage width and depth of the Atrium vs. the LCD-X? Also curious as to how the headphones feel on your head in comparison weight wise. I've had the ability to try out the LCD-X for a few weeks and while the bass could be intoxicating I preferred the way my HFM Ananda/Arya stealth's offered what felt like a wider soundstage and much reduced weight vs. the X.

The Atriums do have me considering selling my Arya's though as it sounds like the Atrium would be more "engaging" than the HFM for many of the types of music I like to listen to. (Not huge into jazz or classical.)

Late reply sorry, been battling a bad cold so I haven't listened since last weekend. From my early listening sessions the soundstage seemed a lot deeper and wider, a better sense of space rather than 3 "blobs" (left, right, center) that I often get with LCD-X. Depends on the song though. I'll have to compare them directly later. The weight is about ~100 grams less, but I never had an issue with the weight of the LCD-X but more how it's distributed. The Atrium strap is so much more comfortable while on the LCD-X my head presses against the metal band. Atrium also clamps quite a bit harder (but it can be adjusted).

Mar 20, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #4,282 of 6,197
Have spent around 4 hours with the Atriums so far. Couldn't make it to the closed releases as a beautiful stabilized showed up in classifieds.
So far most wowed by how much more resolution I hear in lower frequencies compared to the Verite closed. Not as much as the Caldera though. Atrium is sitting as a nice middle between the Verite and Caldera to my ears.
2.jpg
12.jpg
22.jpg

Mar 21, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #4,284 of 6,197
I wasn't a huge believer in burn-in but already at ~40 hours they seem to have opened up more, bass seems more textured. Maybe it's just in my head but I'm liking them more each day.

Mar 21, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #4,285 of 6,197
Can I change the grill of atrium?

The brass grill is too heavy. I want to change it to black grille.
Most likely would have to send your Atrium back to ZMF since the grilles are fitted to each headphone. I'm sure @zach915m can help you out more with this.

I wasn't a huge believer in burn-in but already at ~40 hours they seem to have opened up more, bass seems more textured. Maybe it's just in my head but I'm liking them more each day.
Yea, there's definitely something about those Bio-cell drivers opening up after some break in time.

Mar 21, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #4,286 of 6,197
Burn in is real with ZMFs. I've owned a few new units of his and all of them changed quite noticeably within the first 50-100 hours. Usually by 50ish it's more or less what it is, but the Atrium needed a bit longer than the others.

Mar 24, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #4,287 of 6,197
Hello friends,

I would like to make a question and hope that, at least European users can help me out.

Is there any repairing center in the European Union for ZMF cans?

My question is related to the issue if one has to send the HP to the US, for repair if needed, once out of warranty.

Thank you and cheers.

Mar 25, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #4,289 of 6,197
Hello friends,

I would like to make a question and hope that, at least European users can help me out.

Is there any repairing center in the European Union for ZMF cans?

My question is related to the issue if one has to send the HP to the US, for repair if needed, once out of warranty.

Thank you and cheers.
To my knowledge there is no repairing centre other than at ZMF in US.

Mar 25, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #4,290 of 6,197
Can anybody recommend me cable upgrade for Atrium - if there is some sound difference. I am looking forward to Forza noir hybrid or ZMF 2K. Dunno if copper or silver would be better generally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back