ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Mar 26, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #4,306 of 6,327
Unfortunately, I have read something different about it.
However, it has to be said that it is more a subtle thing in decay and reverb.

I asked because I still have an Auteur Og in Maple Ambrosia which is quite soft and I love listening to it.
I don't hear much of it there, for example.

Since the choice between Bocote and Redheart is there
I thought like this.
Redheart is quite soft, Bocote harder than Red but still soft enough.
Visually also nicer for me than Cherry,Cherry is supposed to be a bit harder than both Ldt.

I have read a lot of good things about Bocote on the other models where they are amazing.
Even Auteur is supposed to be very good with it.

I probably wanted to put my last self-doubt somewhere.

I have looked at the Mesh, but I still have doubts about it.
That would be more of an option if it didn't work for me at all, which I doubt a bit.
I would go much more for pads for now.

I read a lot of people went more for the Be2, were they leather or suede?
That would be another thing I would say when I order the Atrium.
I certainly noticed a difference when comparing the harder vs softer hardwoods: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-atrium-new-open-back-co-flagship.962609/post-17080173

The stock Universe and Auteur pads are by far the more popular pads for the Atrium. From what I've read it seems very split between the two pads for a lot of owners. I enjoy the staging more on the Uni pads which is why I prefer them. HRTF and gear chain can heavily effect this preference, which is most likely why there's a lot of user variance.

I found that the BE2 pads (except the hybrids) will further nudge the Atrium closer to neutral and push the driver's technical prowess to the front. I greatly preferred the suede over the lambskin BE2's, but YMMV.

Mar 26, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #4,307 of 6,327
I would like to ask anyone who owns both the ZMF Atrium open and Denon AH-D9200, as I narrowed my choices down to these headphones for now. I saw @henrix, you have both.

Ignoring supperior accesories, better headband with ZMF (at least for me) and excellent support from ZMF (reading online, Dennon doesn't have the best support). How would they compare in technical performance, resolution / detail retreival is what I am most interested in. Is there a huge jump from the Denon AH-D9200 to ZMF Atrium?

Mar 26, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #4,308 of 6,327
I would like to ask anyone who owns both the ZMF Atrium open and Denon AH-D9200, as I narrowed my choices down to these headphones for now. I saw @henrix, you have both.

Ignoring supperior accesories, better headband with ZMF (at least for me) and excellent support from ZMF (reading online, Dennon doesn't have the best support). How would they compare in technical performance, resolution / detail retreival is what I am most interested in. Is there a huge jump from the Denon AH-D9200 to ZMF Atrium?
Do not own D9200, but if you are looking for huge jump in resolution/detail retrieval, you should look for Caldera. Atrium is not particularly well know for that regrads, I believe its strength is in timbre.

Mar 26, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #4,309 of 6,327
I certainly noticed a difference when comparing the harder vs softer hardwoods: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-atrium-new-open-back-co-flagship.962609/post-17080173

The stock Universe and Auteur pads are by far the more popular pads for the Atrium. From what I've read it seems very split between the two pads for a lot of owners. I enjoy the staging more on the Uni pads which is why I prefer them. HRTF and gear chain can heavily effect this preference, which is most likely why there's a lot of user variance.

I found that the BE2 pads (except the hybrids) will further nudge the Atrium closer to neutral and push the driver's technical prowess to the front. I greatly preferred the suede over the lambskin BE2's, but YMMV.
Yes, that was your post that I read, thank you for that.🙏👍

I also share your views on this, it's not the first time I've heard of it.
I know someone who has sold his Vo 3 times because the hardness of the wood did not fit him 100%, regardless of how beautiful the woods were.

I also borrowed the Aeolus in Cocobolo and it was definitely not mine.
And I could hear the difference between reverb and decay.

Of course the Artirum is different in that respect, but I still pay attention to that before buying.
I only want to buy a Zmf headphone of this model once and not a second time.
I must also confess that I am a bit of a burnt child in this respect.
Originally I came from the Fostex side where I had tried out several cups and the Ebony for example was absolutely not my cup of tea.
It was just too hard and had a strange sound signature.

Nevertheless, the Fostex cannot be compared to the Zmf, which is so much different and better.

About the amp it's a Feliks Euforia probably I'm worrying too much unnecessarily.
But you're right about that, it makes a difference and some of it also results in pad selection.
But that's certainly another topic, even though I think some people probably don't put their Zmf headphones where it belongs amplifier-wise and regulate it with the pads instead.
It's also kind of a way.

With the Auteur Og I left the Auteur pads on,guess I should just trust Zach.
The eikon are also good where they were at,the auteur pads were still the best sounding for me though.
With the Bocote I should probably also trust that it will be fine.
2000 Janka is not necessarily hard for Bocote, just hope it fits for me.
Because it also looks majestic.

I should just click the buy button and clear the rest with Zach and wait for it to arrive.😊

Mar 26, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #4,310 of 6,327
Do not own D9200, but if you are looking for huge jump in resolution/detail retrieval, you should look for Caldera. Atrium is not particularly well know for that regrads, I believe its strength is in timbre.
I would like to get the Caldera, but it is over budget for me at 4000€+ here in Europe. That is why I'm interested in the Atrium, AH-D9200 comparisson.

Mar 26, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #4,312 of 6,327
Currently listening to The Dark Side Of The Moon Live at Wembley 74 (50th Anniversary). Sounds pretty great on the Atrium :)
The 50th anniversary 2023 remix of the studio version just dropped this week. Was just listening to it earlier on the Atrium closed

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #4,314 of 6,327
Both the studio and live at Wembley versions of DSOTM 2023 remasters are available on Qobuz @ 24/192

Mar 26, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #4,316 of 6,327
I have to make a correction, the Wembley version on Qobuz tops out at 24/96. Studio version is 24/192

Mar 26, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #4,318 of 6,327
That's OK, I can't hear the difference between CD and 24/96 anyway. :)
I think I am going to skip this release.

If I buy this, it will be the 5th time buying this album.

1) Cassette tape when I was in Jr. High
2) CD in the 90s
3) SACD import from Japan
4) Digital download when the CD was lost (loaned it a friend and never say it again)

Mar 26, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #4,319 of 6,327

2) CD in the 90s
4) Digital download when the CD was lost (loaned it a friend and never say it again)
Remember kids, only users lose drugs

I think you’ve cracked the real reason it stayed on the charts for so long. The few semi-responsible types that hung out with the mostly irresponsible crowd ended up buying it multiple times. Apparently drugs aren’t the only thing they’d lose.

Mar 26, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #4,320 of 6,327

2) CD in the 90s

I've heard a lot of remasters, but the SACD 5.1 or Alan Parsons quadraphonic mix is probably the best I've heard. It's hard to make it sound bad. Still, this 50th anniversary master is great especially the live version!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back