ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Dec 11, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #3,916 of 6,181
Dec 12, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #3,917 of 6,181
Folks, I have ZMF Eikon and ZMF Aeolus, Perfect sound and no hissing. Just bought ZMF Atrium and noticed hissing, even though on the same source. Have anyone experienced the same problem?.I'm listening to them via Fiio M17, Kann Max and Topping DX7 Pro. Is there something wrong with headphones? I've tried regular 3.5 jack and balanced, same symptoms
I suggest a search to try to track the problem down.
Turn the source off but leave it connected, see if the hiss goes away; this would suggest the source is the problem, possibly becoming apparent if the Atrium gives more HF than the other phones?

I suggest this test, rather than disconnecting the source, as unconnected inputs to an amp can sometimes give erratic results.

Or try connecting another source to the amp if you have one, such as a tuner or analogue outputs from a DVD player.

Let us know what you find.

Dec 12, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #3,918 of 6,181
Folks, I have ZMF Eikon and ZMF Aeolus, Perfect sound and no hissing. Just bought ZMF Atrium and noticed hissing, even though on the same source. Have anyone experienced the same problem?.I'm listening to them via Fiio M17, Kann Max and Topping DX7 Pro. Is there something wrong with headphones? I've tried regular 3.5 jack and balanced, same symptoms

Hissing as noise in the background when no song played? I have tried Atrium with M17 several times, without notice any hissing. Actually M17 is pretty clean, even for IEM that much more sensitive than Atrium. Something strange happen indeed.

Dec 12, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #3,919 of 6,181
Hi everyone, and thanks for your feedback regarding my ZMF Atrium and its hissing sound - to me, this is (almost) a perfect headphone, just the hissing sound I experience won't let me enjoy it and focus on the music I listen to :frowning2:

In terms of my testing methodology, I have tried the following sources:
1) DAP - Kann Max - no hissing on ZMF Aeolus and ZM Eikon, hissing on Atrium
2) DAP - Fiio M17 - no hissing on ZMF Aeolus and ZM Eikon, hissing on Atrium
3) Desktop Amp/DAC - Topping DX7 Pro - no hissing on ZMF Aeolus and ZM Eikon, hissing on Atrium

I have checked two different cables, one balanced and one unbalanced, both sound perfect with ZMF Aeolus and ZMF Eikon, however ZMF Atrium generates this annoying and distracting hissing sound - it leads me to the conclusion that this is either some technical difference between ZMF Eikon / ZMF Aeolus vs. ZMF Atrium that generates it, or maybe even a slight difference that unfortunately generates hissing in my own ears only (but still, not sure why it doesn't generate it, while I'm on ZMF Eikon or ZMF Aeolus).

Dec 12, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #3,920 of 6,181
Hi everyone, and thanks for your feedback regarding my ZMF Atrium and its hissing sound - to me, this is (almost) a perfect headphone, just the hissing sound I experience won't let me enjoy it and focus on the music I listen to :frowning2:

3) Desktop Amp/DAC - Topping DX7 Pro - no hissing on ZMF Aeolus and ZM Eikon, hissing on Atrium

I have checked two different cables, one balanced and one unbalanced, both sound perfect with ZMF Aeolus and ZMF Eikon, however ZMF Atrium generates this annoying and distracting hissing sound - it leads me to the conclusion that this is either some technical difference between ZMF Eikon / ZMF Aeolus vs. ZMF Atrium that generates it, or maybe even a slight difference that unfortunately generates hissing in my own ears only (but still, not sure why it doesn't generate it, while I'm on ZMF Eikon or ZMF Aeolus).

I recommend you check wtih ZMF directly and ask their advice

Dec 12, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #3,921 of 6,181
I recommend you check wtih ZMF directly and ask their advice
+1 to this.

Also, I know this may sound super trivial, but there's not by chance something in your room raising your noise floor that you only notice when actively listening, yeah?
Going off memory, I recall the Aeolus being a tad less open than the Atriums -- thus, damping external noise a slight bit more. Would need confirmation on that statement, though.

If it were EMI/RF interference, I'd expect the other, more sensitive headphones to be picking it up too.

Like Monster already stated, it's otherwise very unusual for a passive transducer to be producing any type of noise that isn't a direct result of the source gear interaction (be it a ground-loop hum, hiss, buzz, etc.) The fact that it hisses even with a portable DAP makes this more confusing. If the drivers were faulty, I'd suspect that there'd be more noticeable artifacts than just hissing.

ZMF support is amazing. Keep us posted when you find a resolution! :)

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #3,922 of 6,181

@zach915m any thoughts?

Dec 12, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #3,924 of 6,181
I suggest a search to try to track the problem down.
Turn the source off but leave it connected, see if the hiss goes away; this would suggest the source is the problem, possibly becoming apparent if the Atrium gives more HF than the other phones?

I suggest this test, rather than disconnecting the source, as unconnected inputs to an amp can sometimes give erratic results.

Or try connecting another source to the amp if you have one, such as a tuner or analogue outputs from a DVD player.

Let us know what you find.

I think it's possible that the term "hissing" could describe a myriad of things. As Mike suggested, checking sources is important. Does the hiss change as you change gain settings on your daps and amps/volume knobs?

The one thing to check when diagnosing headphones is whether the hissing is constant or changes with input, it can be easier testing this with an Amp that has inputs like a desktop setup. You also should check with a friend and/or a dealer on their setup to see if the issue can be reproduced, it can be tough to diagnose where the issue is without help sometimes.

The other thing to check would be to make sure there's no debris on the driver or if it does change in frequency.

Regardless this is definitely an issue I haven't quite heard of before, and is outside of quantifiable impressions, so I do think it's best you email us at support@zmfheadphones.com and we can help!

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 13, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #3,925 of 6,181
Sharing some of Zach and team’s fine work from ZMF November…they sound as good as they look 😜.
636EC3AF-0DC5-4CD1-94A7-6DB6FCE09C9D.jpeg

F0645567-7229-488D-87E7-F2370B58967F.jpeg

Dec 14, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #3,927 of 6,181
Because I got my second Atrium a couple days ago I finally decided to try one with the mesh removed. I know @erics75 removed his awhile back and had a clear preference for no mesh and he and I hear pretty similarly from his posting history. I had been using the perforated more open mesh so far and in comparison between the open mesh and no mesh I prefer the no mesh. A little bit more treble extension, perceived clarity, and a general opening of the sound. Don't notice much of a change to the bass response. A headphone I already love I love a little more today. I may end up having a different pad preference with the no mesh but I haven't rolled yet. I'd settled on BE2 perf lambskin or suede with the open mesh.

Dec 14, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #3,928 of 6,181
Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #3,929 of 6,181
I normally prefer a much more minimalist and clean aesthetic, and thus tend to go for the non-stab versions (like my Blackwood VC's).

But, for some reason this particular pair connected with me. Trust me when I say, they look even better in person.

I love the depth and richness of the stabilized maple.PXL_20221214_201628439.jpg
PXL_20221214_201510199.jpg

Dec 14, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #3,930 of 6,181
So many amazing Atriums on this thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back