ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Jul 31, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #2,146 of 6,369
This is my 2nd day with the Atrium and I am highly impressed! There is something about how the Atrium has so much soul and emotion to the sound. The sound just sucks you in and makes me want to melt into my chair with musical enjoyment! I haven't been able to listen but for a couple of hours total because of work but I took a vacation day tomorrow! Lol. The Atrium and Wa22 will get a workout tomorrow!
Just wait until they get some more play time on them. Mine have been ever evolving for the better. I'm not so sure on the science of "burn-in", but they are definitely getting better and better with time. I loved them very quickly with not many hours on them, so I don't think it is psychological this time - I truly feel like they are only getting better the more I use them.

Jul 31, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #2,147 of 6,369
The Atrium will deliver to me on Tue. I have a few questions about the amp. I'm using Burson Soloist 3XP right now. Will it pair well with Atrium or not ?
If not, I will sell it and get a tube amp. I saw a Pendant SE is selling right now. I'm debating it, Cayin CS-55A and HA-6A. Or any recommendations for an amp around $2k ?
I'd advise burning your Atrium in on the 3XP before buying any other amps.

a) Atrium will need a few hundred hours before it really blossoms so
b) you'll want to use the Burson as a reference for what direction you'd like to go in sound qualities, not to mention
c) your Burson is a solid amp. :)

Take your time when exploring the sound of the Atrium, and what types of tube amps exist, and what you'd like to obtain. There is no "best" in HiFi, only "different" and "best to your particular ears."

Jul 31, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #2,148 of 6,369
The Atrium will deliver to me on Tue. I have a few questions about the amp. I'm using Burson Soloist 3XP right now. Will it pair well with Atrium or not ?
If not, I will sell it and get a tube amp. I saw a Pendant SE is selling right now. I'm debating it, Cayin CS-55A and HA-6A. Or any recommendations for an amp around $2k ?
I use a gsx mini with the atrium for fast tracks, helps tighten up the sound overall but at the loss of the feeling of soulfulness that you get with tubes(idk how else to describe this😅). I use a cayin ha6a for more vocals/mids centric songs or for a more relaxed sound. One could make a case for both i guess.... I haven't tried it with the euforia so idk how that would be but with my current setup, i could make a case for having both amps tubes and ss....

Jul 31, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #2,149 of 6,369
Just wait until they get some more play time on them. Mine have been ever evolving for the better. I'm not so sure on the science of "burn-in", but they are definitely getting better and better with time. I loved them very quickly with not many hours on them, so I don't think it is psychological this time - I truly feel like they are only getting better the more I use them.
I bought my used. I'm sure they are burnt in already. If not I'll dang sure do it quick! I plan on having a nice listening session soon.

Jul 31, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #2,150 of 6,369
Hey, I remembered you mentioned using the Utopia and the Atrium on the Euforia, and wondered if you could give me a little comparison between the two?

I use the Euforia AE with the Atrium and I’m thinking about getting the Utopia as my second pair, but It’s difficult to get clear opinions on where the differences are.

As a side note, I’m thinking of getting the Utopia or buying an SS setup for the Atrium. I feel like that might give me enough of a sound change to save me forking over a few grand for another set of cans

Exciting change! I find the Atrium's more of a lean back sound and Utopia more of a lean in sound. Utopia is cleaner, faster, more detailed, and are not forgiving of poorly recorded tracks. Soundstage is narrower but imaging and seperation is razer sharp. I found the Utopia's to be increasingly fatiguing as time went on, until I eventually stopped using them. In contrast the Atriums are so relaxing to listen to. Soundstage is huge and textures and timbres sound so interesting and addictive. The Atrium tuning is so nice and it has more sub bass.

Utopia can play classical recordings with lots of strings well, but I find Atrium's just can't, it ends up sounding a bit muffled to me.

With vocal tracks on the Utopia, I found myself focusing on all trhe background instruments (aided by the detail and seperation), on the Atriums, the focus is the singer and everything else is complimentary, which is better for me.

I prefer the Atriums everytime, except for classical and maybe really well recorded tracks like the later Radiohead stuff and Sohn.

@Sajid Amit explains the differences well in his video, he has the Utopia, Atrium and Euforia and much more experience than me so he might be able to share his opinion!

Jul 31, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #2,151 of 6,369
The 3XP pairs very well with the Atrium. It sounded great to me, so great I didn't bother with my other amps yet.

Jul 31, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #2,152 of 6,369
Got a new cable for my Atriums. Norne Drausk. This cable pairs perfectly with my Atriums. Much better than I expected. It really adds nice body to the bass and mids for an even better listen.

It also sounds great with my N8ii DAP. I have it on high gain and volume is between 12-2 pm which is a little less head room than I normally like, but there is no distortion and it maintains a full and coherent sound.

I love listening to Classic Rock, 80s music and vocal Jazz. The reason for this is that the Atriums really gives this older music a nice pop in terms of providing a nice sized stage with excellent imaging and enough punch to make the music stand out.

Atrium Drausk N8ii.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #2,153 of 6,369
Gotta show my Viking Weave
PXL_20220611_032540672.jpg
cable off I guess lol.
PXL_20220611_032524486.jpg
PXL_20220611_032612456.jpg

Jul 31, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #2,154 of 6,369
Got a new cable for my Atriums. Norne Drausk. This cable pairs perfectly with my Atriums. Much better than I expected. It really adds nice body to the bass and mids for an even better listen.

It also sounds great with my N8ii DAP. I have it on high gain and volume is between 12-2 pm which is a little less head room than I normally like, but there is no distortion and it maintains a full and coherent sound.

I love listening to Classic Rock, 80s music and vocal Jazz. The reason for this is that the Atriums really gives this older music a nice pop in terms of providing a nice sized stage with excellent imaging and enough punch to make the music stand out.

Atrium Drausk N8ii.jpg
Just noticed your user name. When I'm not traveling for work I live in Hawaii.

Jul 31, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #2,155 of 6,369
Just noticed your user name. When I'm not traveling for work I live in Hawaii.
Let's get together. There are several of us in Honolulu area with nice gear. I live in Kahala. I would be willing to get a condo in Waikiki for a day and we can have a meet up.

Jul 31, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #2,156 of 6,369
Let's get together. There are several of us in Honolulu area with nice gear. I live in Kahala. I would be willing to get a condo in Waikiki for a day and we can have a meet up.
I'm definitely down for a meet up. I won't be back till January though. Also there's a hifi shop down in Honolulu and the owner is pretty cool. He comes up as an Audeze dealer so he might be interested in having folks with headphones show off in his shop.

Jul 31, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #2,157 of 6,369
I'm definitely down for a meet up. I won't be back till January though. Also there's a hifi shop down in Honolulu and the owner is pretty cool. He comes up as an Audeze dealer so he might be interested in having folks with headphones show off in his shop.
Whoa. I didn't know that. I travel a lot, too. So, I hit the mainland shops.

I just found it. Audio Lab Hawaii

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #2,158 of 6,369
Whoa. I didn't know that. I travel a lot, too. So, I hit the mainland shops.

I just found it. Audio Lab Hawaii
Check it out, might have to call ahead to see if he is open but I've seen him do "movie" nights to show of HT stuff.

Jul 31, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #2,159 of 6,369
Can anyone help me identify the difference in between the Autuer Lambskin and universe lambskin perforated? I may have gotten them mixed up. Thx!

Jul 31, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #2,160 of 6,369
Can anyone help me identify the difference in between the Autuer Lambskin and universe lambskin perforated? I may have gotten them mixed up. Thx!
The Autuer pads will be thicker at the largest part and have more of an angle than the Universe pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back