ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Jul 31, 2022 at 5:40 AM Post #2,131 of 6,166
It's 2:20am on the east coast of the US. I want to go to bed. I REALLY want to go to sleep. I can't. I just....CAN'T! My recent order of 10 Cossor (GEC) 6J5G / L63 (mislabled as 6C5G) arrived this week and I just finished testing and matching them. Got a set of four in Telemachus. I CAN'T STOP LISTENING to this amplifier. My VC is singing so sweetly right now. Everything I loved about the amp when using Tung Sol VT-94 as drivers has been met and surpassed with L63. I really liked the L63 in my GOTL. I absolutely love it in Telemachus paired with the EML 300B. The tone is so rich and wet, the impact is visceral, and the detail is so palpable. This amp is such a gem. It's so unnecessary for my needs yet I can't see ever downsizing from this. Anyone looking to purchase this amp do yourself a favor and make absolutely sure you have a DAC that is up to the task of feeding this beast. It's not lost on me the supporting roles that my upgraded Onyx and SU-6 are playing in my sonic bliss. Oh man, as I type a Stevie Ray Vaughan track has started in my playlist. I was hoping to go to sleep, my body needs it, but alas I don't have the willpower to press STOP. I need help...

tempImage63FvR1.jpg
tempImageW8jvO0.jpg

Which amp is that?
Telemachus - made by Ultrasonic Studios in Sweden.

Builder: @SonicTrance
Ultrasonicstudios.org

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #2,133 of 6,166
@SonicTrance dislike me unfortunately. I asked too many questions regarding his tube amp. Others willing to help me and answer all my questions, friendly as well. Most ultrasonic tubes are neutral. Direct rival to 1101 audio. I heard all sound great with ZMFs.

Keep in mind most individuals building these custom amplifiers also work full time jobs and are getting a constant stream of PMs from interested, current, and past buyers. It's a lot to keep up with. Audiophiles are also very, very particular people and can really push one to the brink of their patience. Anyone considering reaching out with questions should first check the builder's respective website / Head-Fi thread to see if the questions have already been addressed.

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #2,134 of 6,166
Keep in mind most individuals building these custom amplifiers also work full time jobs and are getting a constant stream of PMs from interested, current, and past buyers. It's a lot to keep up with. Audiophiles are also very, very particular people and can really push one to the brink of their patience. Anyone considering reaching out with questions should first check the builder's respective website / Head-Fi thread to see if the questions have already been addressed.
Its more than just that...

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #2,135 of 6,166
I have a custom Odyssey from UltraSonic Studios in the queue slated for January 2023. I've never had a single issue with communication, and I've sent more than a handful of emails with questions/build preferences. Responses were prompt and polite.

My father used to say "If you smell crap everywhere you go, check your shoes".

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #2,136 of 6,166
Audiophiles are also very, very particular people and can really push one to the brink of their patience.
go-away-gtfo.gif

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #2,138 of 6,166
Jul 31, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #2,139 of 6,166
Jul 31, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #2,140 of 6,166
I used the demo Atriums with my Euforia for about 2-3 weeks. I agree that the Euforia is pretty neutral, but with space and nice decay. It was spectacular with the Atriums, I was actually shocked at how they sounded on my (admittedly low fi) SS after using them entirely on the Euforia.

I'll try put a sense of scale on the difference the Euforia makes. I initially bought the Euforia for the Utopia, a known good synergy. I found it improved them by around 30-40%. The Euforia improves the Atriums by like 80-100% IMO

I haven't tried the Atriums on a different tube amp though, so I can't comment on your predicament. As Zach said, probably worth trying different tubes, my favourite tube roll was a pretty warm, LinLai 6SN7 and Phillips 6080wc.
Hey, I remembered you mentioned using the Utopia and the Atrium on the Euforia, and wondered if you could give me a little comparison between the two?

I use the Euforia AE with the Atrium and I’m thinking about getting the Utopia as my second pair, but It’s difficult to get clear opinions on where the differences are.

As a side note, I’m thinking of getting the Utopia or buying an SS setup for the Atrium. I feel like that might give me enough of a sound change to save me forking over a few grand for another set of cans

Jul 31, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #2,142 of 6,166
Think of the Utopia as a Verite Open with a narrower soundstage and much less comfortable headband.
The timbre and tonality are quite different though, aren’t they? I’ve owned the VC in the past, and after comparing it to the Atrium I couldn’t ignore the peak and dips around the upper mids / lower treble. The Atrium just sounds so much more balanced and natural, which is something I understand the Utopia to be

Jul 31, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #2,143 of 6,166
Think of the Utopia as a Verite Open with a narrower soundstage and much less comfortable headband.
Not in my experience with both. Tuning are in different directions on either. Transient speeds are a bit faster on the Utopia.

Jul 31, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #2,144 of 6,166
Probably. I owned them so far apart in time that my recollections are probably not very accurate.

Jul 31, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #2,145 of 6,166
The Atrium will deliver to me on Tue. I have a few questions about the amp. I'm using Burson Soloist 3XP right now. Will it pair well with Atrium or not ?
If not, I will sell it and get a tube amp. I saw a Pendant SE is selling right now. I'm debating it, Cayin CS-55A and HA-6A. Or any recommendations for an amp around $2k ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back