ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Jul 22, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #1,906 of 6,230
The new Porcupine Tree album is amazing. Can't say I have a favorite track as they are all great but the one that stood out for me on first listening was Chimera's Wreck with it's the bass notes and amazing drumming (5.22 mark). Absolutely addictive with the Atrium and been putting the album on repeat the last 3 days. Never heard of them prior to this album and will definitely be exploring their full catalog in the coming weeks. Any recommendation on which I should try next?

Porcupine Tree is one of my favorite bands.

The new album is very good, but I think that In Asbentia and Fear of a Blank Planet are the best PT albums.

Jul 22, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #1,908 of 6,230
The new Porcupine Tree album is amazing. Can't say I have a favorite track as they are all great but the one that stood out for me on first listening was Chimera's Wreck with it's the bass notes and amazing drumming (5.22 mark). Absolutely addictive with the Atrium and been putting the album on repeat the last 3 days. Never heard of them prior to this album and will definitely be exploring their full catalog in the coming weeks. Any recommendation on which I should try next?

In Absentia! Steven Wilson's solo stuff is excellent as well

Jul 22, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #1,909 of 6,230
Working on an amp build, but taking a coffee break with the Atrium. Still loving it, it's so well-rounded, if it were my only headphone I would be completely satisfied. I've found it's very responsive to upstream gear/amplification too, very different presentation on my OTL vs. another transformer coupled design I'm working on. Very thankful for AC during this summer heat, without it sitting next to this amp would probably kill me.

PXL_20220722_210936349.NIGHT-2.jpg

Jul 22, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #1,910 of 6,230
Working on an amp build, but taking a coffee break with the Atrium. Still loving it, it's so well-rounded, if it were my only headphone I would be completely satisfied. I've found it's very responsive to upstream gear/amplification too, very different presentation on my OTL vs. another transformer coupled design I'm working on. Very thankful for AC during this summer heat, without it sitting next to this amp would probably kill me.

PXL_20220722_210936349.NIGHT-2.jpg
The Spinosaurus lives!

Spinosaurus-1390950.png

Jul 22, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #1,911 of 6,230
The Spinosaurus lives!

Spinosaurus-1390950.png

LOL every time I move it there is a little voice in the back of my head that says "L0rdGwyn, if you drop this thing your foot, might as well break out the peg leg because you will be kissing that foot goodbye".

Jul 22, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #1,912 of 6,230
LOL every time I move it there is a little voice in the back of my head that says "L0rdGwyn, if you drop this thing your foot, might as well break out the peg leg because you will be kissing that foot goodbye".
Its the most over the top OTL design ive ever seen. The heatsinks alone could cause GBH

Jul 22, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #1,914 of 6,230
Its the most over the top OTL design ive ever seen. The heatsinks alone could cause GBH

Yeah it's insane, the amp is capable of killing by electric shock, third degree burns, and disembodiment. But there was a method to the madness I swear, with Atrium it has excellent clarity, imaging, and soundstage without sounding too sterile or too tubey. They pair very well together, better than with the VC IMO, which I prefer on other amps.

Jul 22, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #1,915 of 6,230
Yeah it's insane, the amp is capable of killing by electric shock, third degree burns, and disembodiment. But there was a method to the madness I swear, with Atrium it has excellent clarity, imaging, and soundstage without sounding too sterile or too tubey. They pair very well together, better than with the VC IMO, which I prefer on other amps.
Out of curiosity, will it drive speakers? If so, what's the output rated?

Jul 22, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #1,916 of 6,230
Out of curiosity, will it drive speakers? If so, what's the output rated?

Nah it can't run speakers, not well anyway. It has around a 15ohm output impedance. For 8ohm speakers, that would need to be 2-3ohms at most for proper damping (this is the typical output impedance of a SET speaker amplifier), could be higher if using high-impedance speakers, really want around a 1:3 damping ratio at a minimum (debatable). OTL amplifiers are extremely inefficient, every time you double the number of tubes, you cut the output impedance in half, so it takes paralleling several tubes to get a very low output impedance. That adds up to a crap ton of heater current to run all of those tubes, not to mention a very demanding current from the B+ supply. OTL speaker amps suck a ton of power and get super hot. Much more practical for headphones since they A) have higher impedances than speakers, and as such present a more favorable load to the amplifier and B) require less power to operate.

Jul 22, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #1,917 of 6,230
If you like live music their Warszawa album is excellent. Steven Wilson is known for his excellent recordings.

Jul 23, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #1,918 of 6,230
In Absentia! Steven Wilson's solo stuff is excellent as well
If you like live music their Warszawa album is excellent. Steven Wilson is known for his excellent recordings.
Amazing stuff. Not sure how they gone under my radar for so many years. Fitting with the Atrium thread, they sound amazing on them. The way Atrium renders drums and bass texture is astonishing.

Porcupine Tree is one of my favorite bands.

The new album is very good, but I think that In Asbentia and Fear of a Blank Planet are the best PT albums.
Anesthetize is just 18 minutes of pure ecstasy to my ears.

Jul 23, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #1,919 of 6,230
After a long 3 months of flip-flopping on what wood to get, and an agonizing decision not to go with Cocobolo, my Macassar Ebony Atrium is here!!!

PXL_20220723_185705663.jpg

PXL_20220723_185413028.jpg
PXL_20220723_185611528.jpg

I really couldn't be happier. Such an absolute stunning set that would look right at place in a museum. Zach, Bevin and the ZMF team somehow always seem to outdo themselves.

I'm going to burn these in for about 4-5 days and then to do a comparison with a stock Cherry set. I've tested some softwood/hardwood ZMF's before, but I'm interested to find out what (no matter how small) differences the Atrium has.

Can't wait to see all new Atriums, and more importantly everyone getting to hear them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back