ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Jul 5, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #1,517 of 6,197
I have the V281. It's my favorite HP amp and main system preamp.

I know it's not the same, but every time somebody mentions the V281, I get V220 flashbacks. 🤣

Jul 5, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #1,518 of 6,197
I know it's not the same, but every time somebody mentions the V281, I get V220 flashbacks. 🤣
Almost certain this isnt what you had in mind, but I couldnt resist the chance to flex my obscure metal band IQ :wink:

Eye to Eye_7032.gif

Jul 6, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #1,521 of 6,197
I am also on the search for an endgame OTL amp for my ZMFs. Put in an order for a CSP3 at Decware but the wait time is 1-2 years!
(Following)

Jul 6, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #1,522 of 6,197
I am also on the search for an endgame OTL amp for my ZMFs. Put in an order for a CSP3 at Decware but the wait time is 1-2 years!
Man, that's a serious wait! I want a Decware OTL as well, but a lot can change in 2 years. . .so not sure I can or even want to wait that long. 1 year is doable but still long, but a 2 year wait is a bit ridiculous if you ask me (seems like they should hire more people?). I do look forward to hearing what you end up with for your endgame OTL search, and keep us posted if you don't mind as I am looking for an OTL as well.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #1,523 of 6,197
Man, that's a serious wait! I want a Decware OTL as well, but a lot can change in 2 years. . .so not sure I can or even want to wait that long. 1 year is doable but still long, but a 2 year wait is a bit ridiculous if you ask me (seems like they should hire more people?). I do look forward to hearing what you end up with for your endgame OTL search, and keep us posted if you don't mind as I am looking for an OTL as well.
I agree it’s pretty crazy. The silver lining is they only charge a 10% deposit until the amp is ready and if I find something else in the interim I can either just eat the deposit or sell the amp, which won’t be hard.

Jul 6, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #1,525 of 6,197
I’d be willing to do both, but is it uncontroversial that the DNA is actually a better amp for the ZMFs, being SET and not OTL?I’ve never heard any DNA amps, but I’ve read they are more on the solid state side of things in terms of sound.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #1,526 of 6,197
Move amp discussions to another thread?

Jul 6, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #1,527 of 6,197
I’m willing to move to another thread but the amp pairing question is pretty important to a lot of atrium owners. I’m not asking if the stellaris is better than the Decware (it obviously is) but which is a better match for the Atrium.

In any case, I defer to the group.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #1,528 of 6,197
A quick question: are universe pads same dimensions in both perforated and solid versions? And the same for be2 pads? I have an Atrium for loan and I suspect a mix up regarding the pads. I have a pair of solid universe pads for my VC and they are a bit thicker than the perforated alleged to be universe pads. Therefore I suspect a mix up but I am unsure.

Jul 6, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #1,529 of 6,197
Same here, put my CSP3 order in with Decware back in April. So maybe next Spring it'll be close to ready. I'm going to stick with it since it seems like a nice pairing with Atrium. Their customer service is good but hopefully they can catch up. I asked the question about the difference between the CSP3 and the new collaboration with ZMF and Steve Deckert replied to me. He said it will be like their 25th anniversary amplifier with all the options. Glad to support two nice audio companies out of Illinois.

Jul 6, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #1,530 of 6,197
I’d be willing to do both, but is it uncontroversial that the DNA is actually a better amp for the ZMFs, being SET and not OTL?I’ve never heard any DNA amps, but I’ve read they are more on the solid state side of things in terms of sound.
Better is subjective. ZMF works with all sorts of tube amps and it's really impossible to say A is better than B. OTL is not the be all end all neither is transformer coupled. I wouldn't say DNA is better as I'm just using that to represent a higher price tier amp that also takes time to build. In my experience DNA amps are pretty far from solid state sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back