ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Jun 28, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #1,411 of 6,230
With your preferences I'd lean towards recommending the Atrium. Unfortunately most modern EDM, pop, hip-hop, etc. is poorly recorded or mastered, and the VO will be more revealing of these flaws.

It depends on your amp too. I feel the Atrium lacks details (in comparison with the VO) if I listen EDM / electronic music on my OTL tube amp.
For this type of music I prefer to use Atrium on solid state. If you value details then go for the VO !

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #1,412 of 6,230
Dont overspend for them. I've seen them go for upwards of 3k for a pair! Theyre good, but not 3K good. I got my pair from another Head- Fier for a very reasonable price, made possible by being awesome at Fantasy Basketball....lol.

To be honest, I'd target some GEC 6AS7G before WE 421a, as they offer a much different presentation vs. the 5998s. Not that GEC 6AS7G are much cheaper than the Western Electric 421a, but that would open up the driver spot on your Airmid for other tubes besides the GEC L63. Other members, including myself, like @gibosi have noticed that doubling up on GEC can be too much of a good thing.

There are a ton of great sounding 6j5s out there besides the L63, including National Unions, Fivre from Italy which are quite midcentric, Sylvania which add some sparkle up top, Ken Rad which have bass in your face, Tung Sol black cans, etc...
I will keep that in mind monster if I see a pair available of GEC 6AS7's available. Thanks for the advice on pairings and their strengths.

Another few days and I should be at least functional, but it will take 6 weeks before I am back to normal from my hernia surgery. Aaarrght. Back to work by Monday. At home on line Medical stuff.

Happy listening,

jgwtriode

Jun 28, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #1,414 of 6,230
Clever very clever, LOL! I used to have Vaic 2A3 meshplates many years ago.

According to MA, I got extra mesh compared to normal based on a double hernia and protecting vas defrens to my right side. Hence a couple extra weeks to heal.

jgwtriode

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #1,415 of 6,230

According to MA, I goe extra mesh compared to normal based on a double hernia and protecting vas defrens to my right side. Hence a couple extra weeks to heal.

jgwtriode
I guess we can conclude that the extra mesh made a vas deferens in your clinical outcome.

Jun 28, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #1,416 of 6,230

According to MA, I got extra mesh compared to normal based on a double hernia and protecting vas defrens to my right side. Hence a couple extra weeks to heal.

jgwtriode
Joking aside, good luck with your healing.

Recovery from hernia repair is painful. Every move made w/upper or lower body is mediated by the muscles of the abdomen & groin.

Jun 28, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #1,418 of 6,230
PXL_20220628_173606072.jpg

+1 for GEC 6as7

It's my first day with the Atrium + Auteur pads. They sound wonderful lush yet still neutral and none fatigue. 🤘

Another masterpiece of ZMF. Thanks @zach915m

Jun 29, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #1,420 of 6,230
PXL_20220628_173606072.jpg

+1 for GEC 6as7

It's my first day with the Atrium + Auteur pads. They sound wonderful lush yet still neutral and none fatigue. 🤘

Another masterpiece of ZMF. Thanks @zach915m
No tube rolling needed with the 6as7g in. They are “set and forget”.
IMHO

Jun 29, 2022 at 3:04 AM Post #1,422 of 6,230
Stupid question: Which mesh is the stock - Solid or vented? I couldn't figure it out searching. I think its the solid.
Vented. I think the solid was "stock" on the demo, pre-release units.

Jun 29, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #1,423 of 6,230
Thanks, @zach915m, for the gorgeous finish. Can't take my eyes off this one.

IMG-3690.jpg

With the Norne Skollvar 20.8awg.

IMG-3695.jpg

What pads do we like the Atrium for all-purpose listening: some metal and rock as well as more "audiophile" genres? Some treble and bass extension is always good, as far as I am concerned...

My first impressions within 10 minutes of listening is that this is a very dynamic headphone!

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #1,424 of 6,230
Thanks, @zach915m, for the gorgeous finish. Can't take my eyes off this one.

IMG-3690.jpg

With the Norne Skollvar 20.8awg.

IMG-3695.jpg

What pads do we like the Atrium for all-purpose listening: some metal and rock as well as more "audiophile" genres? Some treble and bass extension is always good, as far as I am concerned...

My first impressions within 10 minutes of listening is that this is a very dynamic headphone!
What configuration is that? Wood, metals, leathers, etc etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back