ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
May 26, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #1,021 of 6,230
Just got myself a nice bonus from work. Think I want to step into the ZMF world. Was going to go with a Diana TC or V2, but after some more research they don’t seem like they’ll work with the music I’m listening to.

I am looking for a headphone similar to the Utopia but without the clipping and comfort issues. Looking for a resolving headphone with that’s slightly warmer, maintains a similar speed/punch with a bit more sub bass.

I love old hip hop, 80’s, edm and modern music. Stuck between the atrium and the Verite open/closed (leaning open).
Auteur. Used.

If you want more headroom than Utopia that is more resolving (but not lying to you with a fake treble rise) then you want Stealth.
It surely is not the most fun aspect of ZMF ownership, I'll grant you that. Most people seem to find this video helpful:

Don't need to necessarily fully install each pad to hear it for a l'il bit. Absolustely watch this vid to see how to put on a tie for court.

May 26, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #1,022 of 6,230
They. Have. ARRIVED!! But before a quick write up, I'll give you what you want first with the pictures :)

Atrium1.jpegAtrium2.jpegAtrium3.jpegAtrium4.jpeg

OK, now before I move on to a bit of a sound test (need way more time with them before I can do a full review) I wanted to begin with a bit of an "oops" on my part :ksc75smile:. When I was ordering the Atrium's, I thought the option to purchase with the "leather strap & suede pad" was actually talking fully about the headband. As you can see with my VC, I have a leather headband with a suede strap right below it and this is what I thought I was ordering when selecting this option with the Atrium. Woops, I actually had ordered the suede version of the stock earpads instead. Luckily my secondary earpads were the Auteur Lambskins that I'm used to on my VC.

After listening to the Suede Universe Pads, I was digging the Atriums but the treble was too much for my liking and the bass wasn't where I like it to be in quantity/impact. Although I read pad rolling is a pain in the ass, I decided I needed to make my first attempt at it and get the Auteur Lambskins on. After watching Zach's video on YouTube, it was actually pretty dang easy and not as frustrating as I had been expecting. EVERYTHING changed at this point. I felt like I was right back at home with the ZMF sound signature that I absolutely love. The treble calmed down and smoothed, the bass came back and I was left with a sound signature much more to my liking.

As I mentioned before, I will need a lot more time to really test these bad boys out but so far I will agree with the differences everyone has already mentioned between the VC's and the Atriums. They compliment each other absolutely perfectly. The mids and vocals on the Atrium - wow wow wow. Yes, rock and metal and that type of music definitely feels more suited for the Atriums on first pass to a very comfortable degree. Just sounds more natural and present in those types of songs. Obviously sound stage is above and beyond the VC as well. The bass is very, very impressive for an open back and while it doesn't surround you the way it might on the VC, there is ample amount of slam and presence in the bass.

That's it for now - I will be back for more when I log many more hours on 'em :)
Your headphones match each other perfectly.
Congrats!

Do you think the Atrium sounds too spacious using the Euphoria for rock/metal?

May 26, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #1,023 of 6,230
Your headphones match each other perfectly.
Congrats!

Do you think the Atrium sounds too spacious using the Euphoria for rock/metal?

Thank you! I know, I was pretty surprised how closely the Camphor Burl matches Koa haha but I love that they're matching :). I especially love both of them for being light as hell. You mix these woods with the a magnesium chassis and you have a really comfy combo.

For your question, no I don't think so at all. I think the pairing with the Euforia is absolutely incredible!! These headphones just sing with this thing in all the right ways. Gonna switch over to my Burson to compare, though.

Last edited:
May 26, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #1,024 of 6,230
OK so after comparing the Burson to the Euforia, I do think the Burson is a better fit with the Atrium for rock/metal. The Euforia sounds great but, compared to the Burson, it is definitely more spacious/euphoric. Rock/metal tunes definitely fair better with the faster, more direct sound of the Burson over the Euforia

May 27, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #1,025 of 6,230
OK so after comparing the Burson to the Euforia, I do think the Burson is a better fit with the Atrium for rock/metal. The Euforia sounds great but, compared to the Burson, it is definitely more spacious/euphoric. Rock/metal tunes definitely fair better with the faster, more direct sound of the Burson over the Euforia
I have no doubts that the Atrium just sings with the Euphoria...just like every ZMF.

Someday I will give the Cayin iHA-6 a try. Zach suggests it because of its higher output impedance. I was looking for a backup amp like that forever.

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #1,027 of 6,230
They. Have. ARRIVED!! But before a quick write up, I'll give you what you want first with the pictures :)

OK, now before I move on to a bit of a sound test (need way more time with them before I can do a full review) I wanted to begin with a bit of an "oops" on my part :ksc75smile:. When I was ordering the Atrium's, I thought the option to purchase with the "leather strap & suede pad" was actually talking fully about the headband. As you can see with my VC, I have a leather headband with a suede strap right below it and this is what I thought I was ordering when selecting this option with the Atrium. Woops, I actually had ordered the suede version of the stock earpads instead. Luckily my secondary earpads were the Auteur Lambskins that I'm used to on my VC.

After listening to the Suede Universe Pads, I was digging the Atriums but the treble was too much for my liking and the bass wasn't where I like it to be in quantity/impact. Although I read pad rolling is a pain in the ass, I decided I needed to make my first attempt at it and get the Auteur Lambskins on. After watching Zach's video on YouTube, it was actually pretty dang easy and not as frustrating as I had been expecting. EVERYTHING changed at this point. I felt like I was right back at home with the ZMF sound signature that I absolutely love. The treble calmed down and smoothed, the bass came back and I was left with a sound signature much more to my liking.

As I mentioned before, I will need a lot more time to really test these bad boys out but so far I will agree with the differences everyone has already mentioned between the VC's and the Atriums. They compliment each other absolutely perfectly. The mids and vocals on the Atrium - wow wow wow. Yes, rock and metal and that type of music definitely feels more suited for the Atriums on first pass to a very comfortable degree. Just sounds more natural and present in those types of songs. Obviously sound stage is above and beyond the VC as well. The bass is very, very impressive for an open back and while it doesn't surround you the way it might on the VC, there is ample amount of slam and presence in the bass.

That's it for now - I will be back for more when I log many more hours on 'em :)
Your camphor burl VC is super gorgeous....I envy you...

May 27, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #1,028 of 6,230

Your camphor burl VC is super gorgeous....I envy you...

Thank you sir - got in on the B stock sale last November and then became a ZMF addict right after that :dt880smile:

May 27, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #1,031 of 6,230
May 27, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #1,033 of 6,230
Thank you! I know, I was pretty surprised how closely the Camphor Burl matches Koa haha but I love that they're matching :). I especially love both of them for being light as hell. You mix these woods with the a magnesium chassis and you have a really comfy combo.

For your question, no I don't think so at all. I think the pairing with the Euforia is absolutely incredible!! These headphones just sing with this thing in all the right ways. Gonna switch over to my Burson to compare, though.
How do you like that 3X GT for headphones?

May 27, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #1,034 of 6,230
How do you like that 3X GT for headphones?

I’ve actually really enjoyed it but I am about to put it up on the classifieds. Reason being is that it was my only amp for awhile and for an SS amp it has a lot of tubey sounding goodness that I love but, after getting the Euforia 20th, I want to have an SS amp that has a more distinct neutral/transparent tone so I can have a wider degree of different sounds when changing amps.

Just pulled the trigger on the OOR + Hypsos stack so depending how that sounds it’s likely my GT is going to need to find a new home unfortunately

May 27, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #1,035 of 6,230
I’ve actually really enjoyed it but I am about to put it up on the classifieds. Reason being is that it was my only amp for awhile and for an SS amp it has a lot of tubey sounding goodness that I love but, after getting the Euforia 20th, I want to have an SS amp that has a more distinct neutral/transparent tone so I can have a wider degree of different sounds when changing amps.

Just pulled the trigger on the OOR + Hypsos stack so depending how that sounds it’s likely my GT is going to need to find a new home unfortunately
Doesn't the Oor have more warmth than the 3X GT?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back