ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Apr 20, 2024 at 12:20 AM Post #6,121 of 6,223
Is the caldera pads worth getting over the universal perforated and BE2 perforated leather pads. Trying to find a pad that is musical without losing too much resolution.
check out @heliosphann's pad review, was really helpful for me when making a decision

Apr 20, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #6,122 of 6,223
Yeah, I use a silver sharpie to write on them. If I need to change the writing, I've always been able to remove it with Isopropyl alcohol.
I bought the bags and wrote on them with a sharpie

I put small GPS trackers on mine! A sharpie is good, just write it on the inside of the flap or it'll look ugly. Or use bags.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 1:48 AM Post #6,123 of 6,223
I put small GPS trackers on mine! A sharpie is good, just write it on the inside of the flap or it'll look ugly. Or use bags.
I glue AirTags to mine and name them in FindMy

Apr 20, 2024 at 6:30 AM Post #6,125 of 6,223
Anyone label their pads and if so how ? Incredibly easy to get them mixed up 😬 Maybe I need to buy some pad bags from ZMF , I have 3 different sets but only 1 bag !!
I am on the same boat. I have two bags with the name of the pads. Is important no to lose track.
The silver marker is a good idea though

Apr 20, 2024 at 7:21 AM Post #6,126 of 6,223

Yeah, to be clear, I write sharpie on the ZMF bags specifically for the pads. I don't write on the pads themselves. Each pad has a dedicated bag and it goes back in it's own bag before the other pad comes out. I'm *mostly* good about keeping with that system.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #6,127 of 6,223
Anyone label their pads and if so how ? Incredibly easy to get them mixed up 😬 Maybe I need to buy some pad bags from ZMF , I have 3 different sets but only 1 bag !!
I've just used standard Ikea resealable bags, pad name written with a sharpie on the bag. If there's a chance I'll mix up which headphone has which pads at the moment, I put a post it-note inside the empty bag with the headphone name that has them on. I tend to forget quite quickly which pads are which lol.

I think that's something ZMF could try to improve in the future since they have so many pads by now, maybe a small tag on the inside of the leather part that holds it on the cup, with short code for identifying which pad it is?

Apr 20, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #6,128 of 6,223
Like everyone else said, either bag em or tag em.

I personally use bags, as it works best with the sheer amount of pads I have. If you want to mark the pads (I recommend on the pad lip), just make sure you use a marker that will be visible and not smudge easily.

Apr 20, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #6,131 of 6,223
Hey guys, new Atrium Open owner here. Im looking for an amp that push the vocals forward and smooths out the treble. Any recommendation between 300-600 usd? (tube or ss)
I’m a new Atrium owner too, and I’ve been working on dialing in the sound to my preference. One thing that was bothering me were the highs. I eventually tried another cable which immediately stopped the problem. I also read some other users having issues with the highs. I’m wondering if the cable is the culprit for other folks. Perhaps ZMF changed the default XLR cable recently? Speculation, but really glad I decided to swap out the cable because the highs seemed too elevated and even piercing. There was just too much energy there, even after burning in and swapping pads, etc.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #6,132 of 6,223
I have seen numerous pad reviews but they don't include the caldera ultra perforated suede pads, has anyone tried them on the atrium open?
Yes, they're what I use on the Atrium & Aeolus now. Still not sure if I prefer the over the Universe suedes on the Verite Open. I'd gone back and forth between those and Auteur perf suedes on the Atrium, but they seem even more expansive with the Caldera suede ultras.

Apr 21, 2024 at 1:28 AM Post #6,133 of 6,223
I’m a new Atrium owner too, and I’ve been working on dialing in the sound to my preference. One thing that was bothering me were the highs. I eventually tried another cable which immediately stopped the problem. I also read some other users having issues with the highs. I’m wondering if the cable is the culprit for other folks. Perhaps ZMF changed the default XLR cable recently? Speculation, but really glad I decided to swap out the cable because the highs seemed too elevated and even piercing. There was just too much energy there, even after burning in and swapping pads, etc.

For anyone that finds the treble too sharp definitely give the solid mesh a shot if a pad swap doesn't work. For me it's perfect in combination with an OTL amp. It smooths out the highs just enough to not make it too dull. Hybrid pads will smooth it out further. I'm currently using the BE2 suede and although it's a brighter pad it makes the highs very smooth with crystal clear vocals, one of my favorite combos on Atrium. I've had good experience with the Eikon suede perforated too.

Apr 21, 2024 at 6:52 AM Post #6,134 of 6,223
Hello good people.

As you may know I picked up last month zmf AO zebra. I got 4 pair of pads with them to try out different setups. I didn't change anything until yesterday, where I swapped caldera ultra perf for universe. To see, when I removed the pads, the AO comes with radial vented mesh pre-installed.
Screenshot_2024-04-21-12-50-14-963-edit_ai.perplexity.app.android.jpg

Is that normal? Any recommendations regarding keeping/removing it? I guess they come with them by default for a reason. But I kindly ask you advice and ideas.

Also, had anyone tried the AO with caldera thick?

Thanks in advance

Have a good Sunday 🌞 😎 🎧

Apr 21, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #6,135 of 6,223
I've been enjoying my Caldera lately and today I decided to revisit Atrium after a week. I got reminded why I bought the Atrium in the first place; it sounds so musical (analog-sounding) and easy to enjoy with wide range of genre.

This time around I use the Universe Suede Pads and to me it improves the bass quality (the mid-bass decrease slightly) while also smoothening the mid and highs just enough to make it not too sharp (never had issue with the stock pads, but the suede make it sound a bit rounder?) without ever losing that attack. I love how ZMF cans have the option to change sound flavor with diverse pad options :beyersmile:

I pair mine using an OTC tube amp. ZMF and tube amps are match-made in heaven

Users who are viewing this thread

Back