ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Mar 29, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #46 of 6,271
Finally have some time to sit down and write my thoughts about these lovely headphones.

As many have said, thanks to Zach and ZMF for (for whatever insane reason) including me in the demo unit distro. I am honored and humbled and a little concerned about Zach's mental place if he thinks I can say anything particularly useful. But carrying on... I was sent these at no charge to try out and write or not write whatever I wanted about them. I am an unabashed ZMF fanboy, having owned at one point or another two sets of stabilized VCs, a set of stabilized VOs (I MISS YOU BBY!), an Aeolus, and my first $1000+ headphones that I will never let go, a pair of gorgeous Auteurs in Indian almond.

That said, I also own or have owned an embarrassing selection of cans of all price and quality levels, so while not a professional or expert reviewer by any stretch, I've got some experience in listening to a lot of different headphones. I keep coming back to ZMF, and my blue VCs and almond Auteurs will never leave me. And to be perfectly frank, I'm hoping the Atriums will stay with me as well. They're a really fascinating and excellent beast.

My "TL:DR" description of them hasn't changed since the first week I had them - it's as if they took the base musicality and "fun-to-listen-to-itude" of the Aeolus, layered on the Auteur's fabulous mids, bumped up to about 95% of the Verite's detail and clarity, and blew the absolute doors off the soundstage.

The first time I put these on and listened to them, I was a bit taken aback, in a bad way. They sounded almost muddy, coming from some Senn 8XXs I had been listening to. But they grow on you fast - like a fungus. A really invasive fungus. What I heard as "muddy" was anything but, it was richness. To this day, the best way I can describe the sound is rich, thick, and gooey, with bass that comes in with a nut-shot.

IMG_2928.jpg

IMG_3026.jpg

IMG_3027.jpg

Seriously Look At This Thing:
First, the looks: I mean, look at them. I will say this might be the first ZMF I've had where I don't think black grilles and rods is the way. The grilles are gorgeous, but with the black on black they kind of recede. The Bubinga ones are drool-worthy. So are the cherry with aged copper, and I usually HATE aged copper (really, anything other than silver or black... not a Steelers fan, but they have a point when it comes to colors).

How's It Feel:
Comfort-wise, the Atrium comes with ZMF's new Crescent Strap. I've always found ZMF's headphones to be eminently comfortable, but the Crescent Strap is a nice little bit of an upgrade on that. The clamp is tight enough without being HD6XX skull-crushers. While they are, like all ZMF headphones, pretty heavy, the strap is really good at distributing that weight, and I've never had an issue wearing anything from ZMF for long periods of time. YMMV if you're sensitive to heavy cans on your neck, but to me they're wicked comfy.

Sound-wise, like I said, syrupy, gooey, rich, very bassy with excellent vocals. Just excellent vocals. Are they as detailed as the Beryllium-driver models VC and VO? No. But they come very close, and apparently there's something to be said for the bass of biodynamic drivers. Treble may be a little less forward than some would like, but everything is pretty well balanced overall. Soundstage is fabulous. Not quite HD800/800 S/8XX, but bigger than any ZMF I've heard (and I've heard most of 'em).

Here's the part where I describe what I'm hearing in a few songs.

The Listening Setup:
Source - Tidal (mostly Masters) on a Windows 10 PC
DAC - Schiit Bifrost 2
Amp - ampsandsound Mogwai SE

Songs and Impressions:
Ben Folds - Rockin' the Suburbs - Ben's voice is clear and forward. Distorted guitars have a very satisfying bite to them, and nothing really steps on anything else - separation is very nice. Drums are right where I like them - if you want to, you can easily focus on them and just pay attention, but they don't demand your attention. The little theramin or whatever he's playing is easily identifiable even when there's a lot going on. Bass is fun. I'd call it a little extra, a touch north of neutral, with the ability to really dig down deep when it's asked. The sub-bass on these in general is really nice (noting that, among my cans, I don't have anything that would be considered a bass monster). Attack is good, decay is good-not-great. I just heard a couple of piano falls that I'd never noticed before. The synth part near the end has wonderful timbre and you can follow it all the way from bass to treble as it jumps up.

Beatles - I Am the Walrus - Right out of the chute the cello is awesome. It's not as forward as I might like, but the timbre and clarity of it is wonderful, and it doesn't get lost as other instrumentals and vocals come in. John with his weirdly muted/distorted effect is very forward. I love the vocals on these. Ringo's work on the tambourine is living off to my right along with his snare fills - again, easy to focus on without demanding attention. The horns seem to be in the same location as the cello - there is some bunching up of the female backing vocals, strings and horns on the left side, but I can hear some difference in depth. You can really hear the vocals moving around the stage. As the song goes on, there's more air between strings and backing vocals. I've got Ringo coming at me from both sides right now.

Fleetwood Mac - You make Loving Fun - The soundstage leaps out at you right out of the gate. Instruments are spread out impressively, and Christine's vocals are ethereal, ahead of me and a little to the right. Acoustic guitar fills jump out to my right, while the hi-hat is keeping time beautifully on my left. This is a great song for these. The bass is present, and the kick drum can be felt in the gut. All the little fills - acoustic guitar, lead guitar, that beautiful organ - all really just appear out of the ether. It's very fun to listen to this song on these. I love this song regardless, but it definitely plays to the Atrium's strengths.

Aperture Science Psychoacoustic Laboratories - Cara Mia Addio - That bass synth that kicks it off is intense. The synth flute is fun, maybe bordering piercing, but that may just be the song. Vocals are a little intense - maybe a touch much treble? But once the bass kicks in, holy moly. I can also follow the hi-hat really well, more than I remember being able to do with other headphones. Not my favorite track for this - again, the vocals sound a bit off and kind of piercing. But all that synth work in the background is fab.

JS Bach Orchestra - Canon in D Major - Harpsichord has great timbre on these. Somehow both mechanical and natural? I dunno, you explain it. Cellos and basses have a very good presence and timbre (I love that word, to me it just means "fun rumbliness"). Violins border on piercing but never quite cross that line. I can place almost every instrument individually. The soundstage and instrument separation here are sublime. Crescendos are really engaging and drag you along for a ride.

Comparisons:
OK, I'm going to do my best to compare these with other cans I own. Please note that I am by nature an optimist and love everything, particularly the headphones I've curated. Mid-life crises tend to drive cognitive dissonance, know what I mean? But what I'll be doing is just listening to one track back-to-back with the Atrium and another pair of headphones, and describing them much like I described how I hear the tracks above.

Atrium (Stock Universe perforated pads) vs. Verite Closed (solid hybrid Auteur pads)
IMG_3029.jpg

Song choice: Smashing Pumpkins - Zero

Atrium: Very clean distorted guitars. Billy Corgan's voice is a little behind everything else. Stage is very wide. Spotlight is stolen by the dual guitars. Bass is surprisingly a little muted. It's a good overall sound, though... I'd call it close to neutral with the exception of slight recessing of vocals and bass. Emphasis on "slight." Guitar solo is just kind of OK, but the Pumpkins aren't exactly a guitar god band. The heavy distortion that comes in before "You bloody noses" is AMAZING, and the crescendo into a held high guitar note kicks ass.

Verite Closed: Sounds a lot heavier, and I actually feel like I can hear the closed-back nature of the cans, which I never hear with VCs. Corgan's vocals are clearer but still recessed, to about the same degree. It's a lot more aggressive of a sound. The bass is less present even than the muted-sounding Atriums. This might be the first time I've listened to my VCs and thought, "Yeah, these are closed-backs." Soundstage is smaller, but the movement around the stage is a lot more striking. Attack and decay are improved, as is detail, but it's lacking a bit of the musicality and thickness of sound the Atriums bring. That heavy distortion is less amazing, it sounds more like just part of the song, although that crescendo still kicks ass.

Result: Atrium sounds way more open, with more bass and musicality. VC is more detailed with more of a sense of movement within the soundstage.

Atrium vs. Auteur (suede perforated Eikon pads)
IMG_3030.jpg

Song choice: Dire Straits - Money for Nothing

Atrium: Vocals are sublime right away, the bass synth that fades in is very present, the tinkledy-tinkledy synth is there but not demanding attention. Drum crescendo is fantastic, but the keys get kind of lost. Guitar comes in with just the right energy, and there's something "tick"ing in my left ear. When the standard drums come in, it's lovely. Vocals are nice and forward, perfectly balanced to everything around it. Bass is noticeable - not particularly forward, but it rumbles the belly. I can hear the keys in the "We got to install microwave ovens" part for the first time I can think of. The tom fills are perfect. Kick drum has physical heft. The tom fills move around the soundstage nicely, although I can't help but wonder how the VC would interpret that movement. Separation remains outstanding. Knopfler's insane always-soloing guitar parts are really engaging. There's a crunchiness to them that more analytical cans tend to lose. This is a song that plays really, really well to the Atrium's strengths.

Auteur: Man, I love these cans. The vocals are a little more forward to start with, synth a little more recessed. Bass synth is there, but doesn't have the body of the Atrium. Drum fill/crescendo is AWESOME. Seems to have a little less low-end heft than with the Atrium, but that makes it sound more aggressive. Guitars have more bite. Tick-ing in my left ear is still there, bass is really nice (again, without the body of the Atrium). Knopfler's vocals are really in-your-face but feel... leaner, I guess, somehow. Soundstage is very good but not approaching the Atrium. Drum fills have even more heft to them, although the narrower soundstage makes the moving-around feeling less apparent. I have to say the guitar bite on these is so so good. After the Atrium, they feel a little bright - I think that's what I'm hearing when I say Knopfler's vocals seem leaner. Bass is definitely less than on the Atriums. Take the Auteurs if you want a bright/neutral presentation, Atriums if you want more of a dark/gooey/neutral presentation (with bigger stage and better resolution). I've reinforced why I love my Auteurs and will never part with them, but still...

Result: Atrium is more detailed, better stage, better bass, more musical; Auteur is more neutral, a touch bright, more aggressive.

Atrium vs. Susvara
IMG_3028.jpg

Song choice: Pink Floyd - Brain Damage/Eclipse

Atrium: Guitar is beautifully clear. Vocals are right in line with neutral, I'd say. Bass line is there - it's easy to pick out, but not particularly forward. Stage is again beautiful. Hi-hat is again really nicely keeping time in my left ear. Drum fill comes in great, and there's a sub-bass hit that comes in that's really, really impressive. Backup vocals are easily placed across the stage. All the fancy little guitar bits and bobs are easy to hear and identify. I don't know why, but the hi-hat is really alluring. I have a weakness for that apparently. There seems to be a little fuzz around the organ parts. The "Oooh-whooooa-whoooooaaaaaa" backup vocals are really cool to hear because they're placed so expertly way off to the right. The synth "solo" before "I can't think of anything to say" is simply stunning. When "Eclipse" begins, it's engaging, beautiful and just aggressive enough. The bass is neutral but very very present, and again backup vocals are gorgeous.

Susvara: First off, I know this isn't the best of comparisons. Both are driving off a tube amp, which fits the Atrium but isn't necessarily suited as well for the Susvara. At the same time, the Sus is a freaking $6000 headphone (if you're a sucker and pay list). But one of the reasons I bought the Mogwai in the first place is I wanted a tube amp that could drive hard-to-drive planars, so let's go. Guitar is nice and clear - clarity certainly goes to the Susvaras. Vocals are a little recessed compared to the Atriums. Soundstage is very similar, I think. The hi-hat in the left ear is a little softer (please note that Susvara plays better with high-output solid state amps). Backup vocals are simply sublime, though. Wow. Separation is improved vs. the Atrium, which has great separation to begin with. This is pure neutral. Bass is there, but not really kicking quite like the Atrium. Hi-hat is getting more noticeable as I listen more. Susvara deserves its reputation as an absolutely brilliant set of headphones - the clarity and separation are unreal. That said, I'm missing some of the pure musicality of the Atrium. Makes me think of listening to the Verite Open vs. the Aeolus - both have their place, one is definitely technically superior, the other is just pure fun. Susvara is more open; more outside noise comes through. I keep thinking how complementary these two headphones are - Susvara screams "critical listening," with plenty of musicality keeping it away from the world of over-analytical, but the Atrium is more of a jam band of a headphone.

Result: Atrium is more "fun," but dang the Susvara is simply amazing in every way, particularly in resolution and clarity. I wouldn't kick either out of bed. I'd have to go with the Sus if I were forced to choose, though, even driven by an amp that plays more to the Atrium's strengths.

So, there you have it - my stream-of-consciousness take on the Atrium compared to some of my favorite headphones in the universe. I hope this is at least reasonably interesting. If you're asking, "Should I buy an Atrium?" My answer is a pretty strong yes. They may at this point be my favorite ZMF headphones, and given my unabashed fanboyism, that says at least a little bit of something.

Thanks for reading, sorry about the ramble! Thanks again to Zach and the ZMF team for basically forcing me to buy this fantastic new model of headphones.

Mar 29, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #47 of 6,271
Finally have some time to sit down and write my thoughts about these lovely headphones.

As many have said, thanks to Zach and ZMF for (for whatever insane reason) including me in the demo unit distro. I am honored and humbled and a little concerned about Zach's mental place if he thinks I can say anything particularly useful. But carrying on... I was sent these at no charge to try out and write or not write whatever I wanted about them. I am an unabashed ZMF fanboy, having owned at one point or another two sets of stabilized VCs, a set of stabilized VOs (I MISS YOU BBY!), an Aeolus, and my first $1000+ headphones that I will never let go, a pair of gorgeous Auteurs in Indian almond.

That said, I also own or have owned an embarrassing selection of cans of all price and quality levels, so while not a professional or expert reviewer by any stretch, I've got some experience in listening to a lot of different headphones. I keep coming back to ZMF, and my blue VCs and almond Auteurs will never leave me. And to be perfectly frank, I'm hoping the Atriums will stay with me as well. They're a really fascinating and excellent beast.

My "TL:DR" description of them hasn't changed since the first week I had them - it's as if they took the base musicality and "fun-to-listen-to-itude" of the Aeolus, layered on the Auteur's fabulous mids, bumped up to about 95% of the Verite's detail and clarity, and blew the absolute doors off the soundstage.

The first time I put these on and listened to them, I was a bit taken aback, in a bad way. They sounded almost muddy, coming from some Senn 8XXs I had been listening to. But they grow on you fast - like a fungus. A really invasive fungus. What I heard as "muddy" was anything but, it was richness. To this day, the best way I can describe the sound is rich, thick, and gooey, with bass that comes in with a nut-shot.

Seriously Look At This Thing:
First, the looks: I mean, look at them. I will say this might be the first ZMF I've had where I don't think black grilles and rods is the way. The grilles are gorgeous, but with the black on black they kind of recede. The Bubinga ones are drool-worthy. So are the cherry with aged copper, and I usually HATE aged copper (really, anything other than silver or black... not a Steelers fan, but they have a point when it comes to colors).

How's It Feel:
Comfort-wise, the Atrium comes with ZMF's new Crescent Strap. I've always found ZMF's headphones to be eminently comfortable, but the Crescent Strap is a nice little bit of an upgrade on that. The clamp is tight enough without being HD6XX skull-crushers. While they are, like all ZMF headphones, pretty heavy, the strap is really good at distributing that weight, and I've never had an issue wearing anything from ZMF for long periods of time. YMMV if you're sensitive to heavy cans on your neck, but to me they're wicked comfy.

Sound-wise, like I said, syrupy, gooey, rich, very bassy with excellent vocals. Just excellent vocals. Are they as detailed as the Beryllium-driver models VC and VO? No. But they come very close, and apparently there's something to be said for the bass of biodynamic drivers. Treble may be a little less forward than some would like, but everything is pretty well balanced overall. Soundstage is fabulous. Not quite HD800/800 S/8XX, but bigger than any ZMF I've heard (and I've heard most of 'em).

Here's the part where I describe what I'm hearing in a few songs.

The Listening Setup:
Source - Tidal (mostly Masters) on a Windows 10 PC
DAC - Schiit Bifrost 2
Amp - ampsandsound Mogwai SE

Songs and Impressions:
Ben Folds - Rockin' the Suburbs - Ben's voice is clear and forward. Distorted guitars have a very satisfying bite to them, and nothing really steps on anything else - separation is very nice. Drums are right where I like them - if you want to, you can easily focus on them and just pay attention, but they don't demand your attention. The little theramin or whatever he's playing is easily identifiable even when there's a lot going on. Bass is fun. I'd call it a little extra, a touch north of neutral, with the ability to really dig down deep when it's asked. The sub-bass on these in general is really nice (noting that, among my cans, I don't have anything that would be considered a bass monster). Attack is good, decay is good-not-great. I just heard a couple of piano falls that I'd never noticed before. The synth part near the end has wonderful timbre and you can follow it all the way from bass to treble as it jumps up.

Beatles - I Am the Walrus - Right out of the chute the cello is awesome. It's not as forward as I might like, but the timbre and clarity of it is wonderful, and it doesn't get lost as other instrumentals and vocals come in. John with his weirdly muted/distorted effect is very forward. I love the vocals on these. Ringo's work on the tambourine is living off to my right along with his snare fills - again, easy to focus on without demanding attention. The horns seem to be in the same location as the cello - there is some bunching up of the female backing vocals, strings and horns on the left side, but I can hear some difference in depth. You can really hear the vocals moving around the stage. As the song goes on, there's more air between strings and backing vocals. I've got Ringo coming at me from both sides right now.

Fleetwood Mac - You make Loving Fun - The soundstage leaps out at you right out of the gate. Instruments are spread out impressively, and Christine's vocals are ethereal, ahead of me and a little to the right. Acoustic guitar fills jump out to my right, while the hi-hat is keeping time beautifully on my left. This is a great song for these. The bass is present, and the kick drum can be felt in the gut. All the little fills - acoustic guitar, lead guitar, that beautiful organ - all really just appear out of the ether. It's very fun to listen to this song on these. I love this song regardless, but it definitely plays to the Atrium's strengths.

Aperture Science Psychoacoustic Laboratories - Cara Mia Addio - That bass synth that kicks it off is intense. The synth flute is fun, maybe bordering piercing, but that may just be the song. Vocals are a little intense - maybe a touch much treble? But once the bass kicks in, holy moly. I can also follow the hi-hat really well, more than I remember being able to do with other headphones. Not my favorite track for this - again, the vocals sound a bit off and kind of piercing. But all that synth work in the background is fab.

JS Bach Orchestra - Canon in D Major - Harpsichord has great timbre on these. Somehow both mechanical and natural? I dunno, you explain it. Cellos and basses have a very good presence and timbre (I love that word, to me it just means "fun rumbliness"). Violins border on piercing but never quite cross that line. I can place almost every instrument individually. The soundstage and instrument separation here are sublime. Crescendos are really engaging and drag you along for a ride.

Comparisons:
OK, I'm going to do my best to compare these with other cans I own. Please note that I am by nature an optimist and love everything, particularly the headphones I've curated. Mid-life crises tend to drive cognitive dissonance, know what I mean? But what I'll be doing is just listening to one track back-to-back with the Atrium and another pair of headphones, and describing them much like I described how I hear the tracks above.

Atrium (Stock Universe perforated pads) vs. Verite Closed (solid hybrid Auteur pads)

Song choice: Smashing Pumpkins - Zero

Atrium: Very clean distorted guitars. Billy Corgan's voice is a little behind everything else. Stage is very wide. Spotlight is stolen by the dual guitars. Bass is surprisingly a little muted. It's a good overall sound, though... I'd call it close to neutral with the exception of slight recessing of vocals and bass. Emphasis on "slight." Guitar solo is just kind of OK, but the Pumpkins aren't exactly a guitar god band. The heavy distortion that comes in before "You bloody noses" is AMAZING, and the crescendo into a held high guitar note kicks ass.

Verite Closed: Sounds a lot heavier, and I actually feel like I can hear the closed-back nature of the cans, which I never hear with VCs. Corgan's vocals are clearer but still recessed, to about the same degree. It's a lot more aggressive of a sound. The bass is less present even than the muted-sounding Atriums. This might be the first time I've listened to my VCs and thought, "Yeah, these are closed-backs." Soundstage is smaller, but the movement around the stage is a lot more striking. Attack and decay are improved, as is detail, but it's lacking a bit of the musicality and thickness of sound the Atriums bring. That heavy distortion is less amazing, it sounds more like just part of the song, although that crescendo still kicks ass.

Result: Atrium sounds way more open, with more bass and musicality. VC is more detailed with more of a sense of movement within the soundstage.

Atrium vs. Auteur (suede perforated Eikon pads)

Song choice: Dire Straits - Money for Nothing

Atrium: Vocals are sublime right away, the bass synth that fades in is very present, the tinkledy-tinkledy synth is there but not demanding attention. Drum crescendo is fantastic, but the keys get kind of lost. Guitar comes in with just the right energy, and there's something "tick"ing in my left ear. When the standard drums come in, it's lovely. Vocals are nice and forward, perfectly balanced to everything around it. Bass is noticeable - not particularly forward, but it rumbles the belly. I can hear the keys in the "We got to install microwave ovens" part for the first time I can think of. The tom fills are perfect. Kick drum has physical heft. The tom fills move around the soundstage nicely, although I can't help but wonder how the VC would interpret that movement. Separation remains outstanding. Knopfler's insane always-soloing guitar parts are really engaging. There's a crunchiness to them that more analytical cans tend to lose. This is a song that plays really, really well to the Atrium's strengths.

Auteur: Man, I love these cans. The vocals are a little more forward to start with, synth a little more recessed. Bass synth is there, but doesn't have the body of the Atrium. Drum fill/crescendo is AWESOME. Seems to have a little less low-end heft than with the Atrium, but that makes it sound more aggressive. Guitars have more bite. Tick-ing in my left ear is still there, bass is really nice (again, without the body of the Atrium). Knopfler's vocals are really in-your-face but feel... leaner, I guess, somehow. Soundstage is very good but not approaching the Atrium. Drum fills have even more heft to them, although the narrower soundstage makes the moving-around feeling less apparent. I have to say the guitar bite on these is so so good. After the Atrium, they feel a little bright - I think that's what I'm hearing when I say Knopfler's vocals seem leaner. Bass is definitely less than on the Atriums. Take the Auteurs if you want a bright/neutral presentation, Atriums if you want more of a dark/gooey/neutral presentation (with bigger stage and better resolution). I've reinforced why I love my Auteurs and will never part with them, but still...

Result: Atrium is more detailed, better stage, better bass, more musical; Auteur is more neutral, a touch bright, more aggressive.

Atrium vs. Susvara

Song choice: Pink Floyd - Brain Damage/Eclipse

Atrium: Guitar is beautifully clear. Vocals are right in line with neutral, I'd say. Bass line is there - it's easy to pick out, but not particularly forward. Stage is again beautiful. Hi-hat is again really nicely keeping time in my left ear. Drum fill comes in great, and there's a sub-bass hit that comes in that's really, really impressive. Backup vocals are easily placed across the stage. All the fancy little guitar bits and bobs are easy to hear and identify. I don't know why, but the hi-hat is really alluring. I have a weakness for that apparently. There seems to be a little fuzz around the organ parts. The "Oooh-whooooa-whoooooaaaaaa" backup vocals are really cool to hear because they're placed so expertly way off to the right. The synth "solo" before "I can't think of anything to say" is simply stunning. When "Eclipse" begins, it's engaging, beautiful and just aggressive enough. The bass is neutral but very very present, and again backup vocals are gorgeous.

Susvara: First off, I know this isn't the best of comparisons. Both are driving off a tube amp, which fits the Atrium but isn't necessarily suited as well for the Susvara. At the same time, the Sus is a freaking $6000 headphone (if you're a sucker and pay list). But one of the reasons I bought the Mogwai in the first place is I wanted a tube amp that could drive hard-to-drive planars, so let's go. Guitar is nice and clear - clarity certainly goes to the Susvaras. Vocals are a little recessed compared to the Atriums. Soundstage is very similar, I think. The hi-hat in the left ear is a little softer (please note that Susvara plays better with high-output solid state amps). Backup vocals are simply sublime, though. Wow. Separation is improved vs. the Atrium, which has great separation to begin with. This is pure neutral. Bass is there, but not really kicking quite like the Atrium. Hi-hat is getting more noticeable as I listen more. Susvara deserves its reputation as an absolutely brilliant set of headphones - the clarity and separation are unreal. That said, I'm missing some of the pure musicality of the Atrium. Makes me think of listening to the Verite Open vs. the Aeolus - both have their place, one is definitely technically superior, the other is just pure fun. Susvara is more open; more outside noise comes through. I keep thinking how complementary these two headphones are - Susvara screams "critical listening," with plenty of musicality keeping it away from the world of over-analytical, but the Atrium is more of a jam band of a headphone.

Result: Atrium is more "fun," but dang the Susvara is simply amazing in every way, particularly in resolution and clarity. I wouldn't kick either out of bed. I'd have to go with the Sus if I were forced to choose, though, even driven by an amp that plays more to the Atrium's strengths.

So, there you have it - my stream-of-consciousness take on the Atrium compared to some of my favorite headphones in the universe. I hope this is at least reasonably interesting. If you're asking, "Should I buy an Atrium?" My answer is a pretty strong yes. They may at this point be my favorite ZMF headphones, and given my unabashed fanboyism, that says at least a little bit of something.

Thanks for reading, sorry about the ramble! Thanks again to Zach and the ZMF team for basically forcing me to buy this fantastic new model of headphones.
Can you elaborate on your 8XX comparison at all? Currently the only open back I have. I ended up having to eq it to not sound muddy but your impression stated these sounded muddy in comparison to the 8xx? Great review and thanks.

Mar 29, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #48 of 6,271
Can you elaborate on your 8XX comparison at all? Currently the only open back I have. I ended up having to eq it to not sound muddy but your impression stated these sounded muddy in comparison to the 8xx? Great review and thanks.
It's really more like they sound so rich and gooey, they made me think they were muddy before I got a few songs' worth of brain burn-in. The 8XX is excellent and clear once you mod it (I did the tape mod), so it's a more "clean", neutral, bright presentation. The clarity of the Atrium is excellent, but it's a darker overall presentation so it gives a first impression of being less clear.

Mar 30, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #49 of 6,271
It's really more like they sound so rich and gooey, they made me think they were muddy before I got a few songs' worth of brain burn-in. The 8XX is excellent and clear once you mod it (I did the tape mod), so it's a more "clean", neutral, bright presentation. The clarity of the Atrium is excellent, but it's a darker overall presentation so it gives a first impression of being less clear.

Sounds like the ZMF Nighthawk. :) That was also a headphone that required (a lot) of brain burn in. Then after some hours it sounded darn good. One would go back to any other headphone and get a shock how much clearer things can/should sound.

But I guess the Nighthawk comparison stops at the brain burn-in part. Obviously the Atrium has a lot of strong attributes - great mids, great soundstage, etc.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #50 of 6,271
I listened to Pink Floyd Animals and The Wall last night.

A down right fabulous time! The amount of space between instruments is wonderful with these headphones.

Mar 30, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #51 of 6,271
Sounds like the ZMF Nighthawk. :) That was also a headphone that required (a lot) of brain burn in. Then after some hours it sounded darn good. One would go back to any other headphone and get a shock how much clearer things can/should sound.

But I guess the Nighthawk comparison stops at the brain burn-in part. Obviously the Atrium has a lot of strong attributes - great mids, great soundstage, etc.
I really want to report this post for evening brining up that headphone in this thread.

Mar 30, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #52 of 6,271
It's really more like they sound so rich and gooey, they made me think they were muddy before I got a few songs' worth of brain burn-in.

I'm a bit worried that the tuning of Atrium will not be aligned with my tastes. Did you also try with without the solid mesh or with the vented mesh?

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #53 of 6,271
I'm a bit worried that the tuning of Atrium will not be aligned with my tastes. Did you also try with without the solid mesh or with the vented mesh?
I’m going to try the vented mesh tonight.

Mar 31, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #56 of 6,271
A couple of updates: swapping pads for my favorite Auteur pads - the Eikon Perf Suede - is a not-insignificant upgrade to the overall sound (and comfort). Piercing treble I was hearing on Cara Mia Addio is gone, completely. Bass is extended further, albeit a little less clear. Everything sounds natural. Vocals are slightly recessed vs. the stock Universe perf lambskin, but not enough to be negatively impactful of the total package. This should, IMHO, be your pad of choice for the Atrium.

Also, switching from the low-Z to the high-Z output on my Mogwai makes an equally impactful difference. I've read plenty of people who have said they prefer low-Z on ZMF cans, but for these, to my ear, high-Z is so much better.

Mar 31, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #57 of 6,271
My Impressions
First of all thanks to Zach for letting me evaluate these. I’ve had them on hand for 3 weeks now, let them burn in 50 hours or so after an initial couple hour listen.

TLDR: Perhaps the Goldilocks or Greatest Hits ZMF with the natural, mid-forward neutral-ish sound of the Auteur, most of the detail that the Verites have, the best bass of the lineup to my ears, much of the fun of the Atticus, sounding the most open and having completely different staging than all the others. They’re deserving of their co-TOTL status and are exceptionally so with poor recordings.

Background:
I’ve been in the hobby a little over 3 years, and quickly went from a 6XX with a $99 dac/amp to headphones in the $2k range and eventually the same for amps. Got my first ZMFs in late 2019, a used Atticus and Verite Open and in a year or so I’d owned every model. Like many headphones it took me some weeks to really appreciate them, but then they quickly became my favorites.

I have zero musical training, have never played an instrument, and don’t listen to classical. So I don’t know how this or that instrument is supposed to sound and don’t have a great grasp on describing in much more detail beyond bass, mids, and treble. I go for difference from the rest of my collection, wide soundstage and just overall enjoyment. I’m not a critical listener, and often my listening is while I’m spending hours on my computer.

I approach headphones a bit like I did when I was into wine, in that I don’t care if it’s supposed to be fancy, expensive, prestigious, grown in the best regions and such, but I do care whether I like it or not since I’m enjoying for the pleasure of it and not to impress or validate anyone else. I have widely varying tastes, enjoying some oddballs like the HD700 & HD820, a little experience with electrostats and planars, and feel the Orpheus is the best sounding experience I’ve ever had.

I’m in my early 50s, have mild hearing loss above 4k, more above 8k, hear nothing over 13k, but none of my hearing loss below that is even at “moderate” levels so maybe just a bit worse than average overall for my age. I never EQ but have nothing against it. I’ll probably delve into playing with it eventually.

My musical tastes are pretty varied, a lot of music from the late 60s to late 80s, a bit of Country (female singers only though), 90s dance/circuit party music & techno along with more recent EDM like Infected Mushroom, some R&B, a lot of pop, little to no rap, classical, metal, opera, or jazz, a smattering of Hawaiian music heavy on slack key guitar and ukulele, some musicals, and hard to characterize artists like Bjork.

Importantly, nearly all the below is based on using suede pads, which are not the pads used when this was being developed, and they tend to increase treble over lambskin. I use suede because I’m vegan, but also because real or even vegan leather makes my face sweat very quickly since it’s always at least warm and usually humid where I live. I imagine I’d use suede even if there were vegan leather versions which sounded exactly like lambskin ones for that reason. Use of suede is also true for any comparison comments I make. For direct comparing I used the same suede pad versions on both headphones to minimize pad-related differences.

Build and initial impressions:
The ones I was loaned are the stock Cherry and black. They’re lightweight, very comfortable, and for whatever reason I have to wear them on the smallest setting, perhaps because the headband is more pointy and taller on the one I have than the crescent on my VO. If you have a small head you may need some headband adjusting or will need to put them on the lowest/smallest rod setting. As shown in my avatar I tend to prefer flashy and different and like having a collection of very different looking and interesting headphones sitting on my desk. The subtle beauty of the Cherry wood is growing on me and they’re the most elegant looking set of ZMFs I’ve had. The black grills disappear some in dim lighting, but do clearly catch the light when it’s bright.

My favorite headphones have been the VO & VC (preferring the VO lately), followed by the Auteur. My listening is usually Chord TT2->Pendant SE with a preference for tubes with wide and unique staging.

My first impression with a Hugo 1 without any other headphones around was that they very obviously had the ZMF house sound and reminded me of the Auteur and without direct comparing felt they were very similar but had better technical performance. Zach had given me no info about them, which was smart and didn’t bias me in any particular direction. I recognized the grill as having the same old church stained glass inspiration as the Auteur, making me wonder if they were a super-Auteur or something. I told myself I probably wouldn’t buy them because there was overlap with the Auteur. Well that lasted all of a day, lol, and I will be purchasing the Koa version once available. They’re also different enough from the Auteur that I’m keeping both.

Anyway, here’s my collection of thoughts and comparisons rather than a formal review.

Bass, treble & mids:
I’m very impressed by the bass on these. There is a weightiness and punchiness to them I find very gratifying. A nice track to show off the bass on the Atrium is about 11 seconds in on Beyonce’s Partition, which sounds better on the Atrium than my other headphones. The Atrium are not bass canons nor overly warm. Like most aspects of the Atrium, the bass for me is just right. Compared to the Auteur, the Atrium bass is more present and full and feels like it lingers more giving body to the soundscape while on the Auteur it's more like it comes and goes. After a long Atrium listen, the Auteur does feel like it’s missing something. Recently rolled a tube combo in my Pendant SE which is providing the most impressive bass I've heard from it yet, and comparing with the VO, the Atrium just has more heft and thickness to the bass. Doing a sub bass test using "Why So Serious" around 3:30 from the Dark Knight soundtrack I'd give the nod to the Verite, though both are very impressive. The suede pads do diffuse some of the bass slam.

One of my favorite Prince albums is “Parade” which has more punchy bass than his other pre-90s albums. The recording itself isn’t great. It’s never sounded better than on the Atrium with the BE2 suede pads. There’s just a punchiness with those pads which I don’t get with the other suedes. The Atrium has the most punchy bass of the ZMFs for me.

I also feel like the treble is just right. Again suede pads are brighter, so I’ve not yet played around with different mesh options because I don’t feel any need to make them sound brighter. Going back to the Auteur after a long listen, the treble on the Auteur just seems a bit too much, which I’ve not thought before.

The forwardness of the mids is in between the Auteur & Verite Open. Vocals are just lovely and even sibilant recordings have little to none of that on the Atrium. I get more sibilance on the Auteur, something I never thought about until directly comparing to the Atrium. Like the Auteur it has this natural/organic very real sound to it that's very pleasant to my ears.

Soundstage:
As far as soundstage, being a lover of wide soundstages and sounds coming from outside the head, the Atrium is up there with the HD700 & 800 and Arya without sounding unnatural. I experience the Verite Open as having just so much going on and really being enveloped in this 3D soundscape while the Auteur is a more "traditional" (for lack of a better word) experience. The Atrium sort of splits the difference. It just feels like there is more there on the Atrium than the Auteur and it's got different staging than both. I did spend a little time with the stock lambskin Universe pads today after suedes exclusively for 3 weeks, and the soundstage with them is indeed more 3D, and overall the Atrium sounds better on them than any of the suedes I’ve been using.

One aspect of the soundstage is how it can make sounds seem eerily real and behind you. In a video there was a dog not visible behind the camera and I had to check multiple times to make sure it wasn't one of my dogs who always lays on the bed behind my desk/headphone station.

I've also noticed on some EDM little sounds coming from off in the distance enough again to have me need to make sure it wasn't some noise nearby not coming from the Atrium. For example, at the end of a dance song some piano came on from a distance, like from where my foot was! On both the VC and Atticus the piano was heard (and lost some) between my ears blended with the rest of the music. The soundstage is so different from the other ZMFs that it's indeed like hearing my music all over again for the first time. Some Jack Johnson song I’ve heard hundreds of times, noticed the background vocals off to the left on a track, and really never noticed them at all before.

With my iMac setup on my desk, I’ve occasionally mistakenly had sound coming from my desktop speakers while listening to headphones. More than any other ZMF I’ve had to take my headphones off to make sure those speakers aren’t on because some sounds are very external and seem several feet away. Most bizarre and impressive, at times I’ve felt bass on my body like my desk is vibrating like it would if I had a subwoofer on. How is that even possible?

I think the Verites have the edge as far as being holographic and having the most plankton, the latter of which I’m ambivalent about anyway.

Details:
The Atrium is very detailed. Comparing to the VO & Auteur it sort of splits the difference on details, but closer to the Verite. Being not quite as detailed as the Verites is one of the best things about the Atrium. It’s a big part of why it’s the best headphone I’ve heard with crappy recordings. Harshness, sounding like music is coming out of can or AM radio, overly loud recordings and such the Atrium sort of smooths over all that. Some have said it’s the most “analog” sounding ZMF and I’d agree with that, making me think more of the warmth and smoothness of vinyl than typical sound of CD rips and other digital sources. The Atrium is a very forgiving headphone without compromising details like other headphones which temper harsh recordings. Graininess is simply not present. Even on good recordings, the detail can be too much on the Verite. On one song from a girl group, each singer is incredibly distinct and one clearly can’t sing which the VO exposes. On the Atrium the voices are blended together how I think they’re supposed to sound. It’s certainly more enjoyable on the Atrium.

Also spent some time with some rock tracks which are less than ideal on the Verite, and again, the Atrium seems to just gloss over the harshness in crappy recordings. Nothing sounds "bad" on them, which I can't always say on the Verites, Arya, and 800SDR.

One of my favorite albums is Amy Winehouse’s Back to Black. Even the 24/96 version doesn’t sound like a great recording. With the Atrium it’s the best I’ve heard it. I find myself thinking the same thing about a lot of recordings in my collection.

Other:
The Verite Open still sounds the most lush/full of the headphones in my collection (though not by much over the Atrium), and always seems like there's just so much going on in the music. I think the Atrium are ultimately better for casual listening while doing other things on my computer, while the Verites really almost demand one's attention. I wouldn't describe any ZMFs as laid back, but these are compared to the Verite, without seeming lacking (as I find others I'd describe as laid back).

Another aspect the Atrium is better on is through the TT2 directly. The TT2 is incredibly detailed and the amp can be a little sharp for my tastes, so I almost always use it just as a DAC. Since it can play 2 headphones at once, it makes for great A/Bing for someone like me who doesn’t have great sound memory. The Atrium is pretty fantastic on it, while the Verites come across as much more harsh on the TT2.

The Atrium is fantastic on acoustic music. I’d still give the nod to the Auteur & Eikon specifically for that, as guitar, banjos, ukulele just have a magic to them on that driver. It’s similarly fantastic on vocals, but again, the Auteur being even more mid-forward that’s maybe the best ZMF for uncomplicated songs with prominent vocals (a lot of Dido for example).

I feel like I'm not having strong preferences with the suede pads, and maybe the differences are less than on some of the other models. I could live with any of them as my only pads. The Auteur suedes are the most airy/spacey and open sounding to my ears, with the BE2 suedes having the best bass and being the most punchy. I expect I’ll use those two the most.

Conclusion:
Sorry this was so long and not especially technically proficient. Again, keep in mind all the impressions and comparisons are using suede pads. I think the lambskin options are probably better overall and bring more of the 3Dness, lushness, and amazing bass.

Overall the Verites remain my favorites, but the Atrium are very close and much better on bad recordings, and somewhat better on vocals and acoustic music. I was concerned the Atrium could make me want to sell my Auteur, but those still have their best aspects of the lineup and are maybe even more forgiving on bad recordings (though at the expense of detail and soundstage).

I think the Atrium is going to be a less divisive headphone than the Verite Open. The Atrium has the best balance overall of the ZMFs. Like the Aeolus, the Atrium is probably the best bet for those who have never heard a ZMF. It’s not “too” anything for me. For me it also doesn’t demand TOTL sources or even necessarily tubes and is fantastic out of the original Hugo and presumably others in that price range. It took me some time to really be wowed by the Atrium, which has been true for me of other ZMFs and other brands. I really think they do need burn in and I always advise people not to render judgement on ZMFs, especially if the brand is new to them, until they’ve both burned in and tried various pads. They all do so much so well that they deserve the time to appreciate their strengths.

The last thing I need is another headphone, having neither the time nor desk space at this point. Nevertheless one is being ordered and I’m excited to compare the Koa Atrium to the Cherry before I send that one back.
IMG_7065.jpegIMG_7059.jpegIMG_7064.jpegIMG_7060.jpegIMG_7058.jpeg
Nice review! Awesome pictures!

Mar 31, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #59 of 6,271
Here is my very modest review of the Atrium. I can have a hard time putting what I hear into words, so I really hope that this is somewhat understanding

Atrium
https://www.zmfheadphones.com/atrium
https://www.zmfheadphones.com/atrium-patent

Gear Used:
GOTL / Chatham 6AS7G / GEC L63 Tubes
GEL3N SET Amp/ Mullard EL34 xf2 / Visseaux EL3N / Mullard 53 KU Tubes
GS-X mk2 Amp
Holo Spring L3 Dac
Atrium Stock Cable & Norne Draug 3 S/C Cable
16/44 Flac

Atrium with stock universe pads.... will leave the pad rolling to others.

Listening to mostly blues/blues rock/classic rock. Examples: SRV, Joe Bonamassa, Peter Green, Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton, Tom Petty, etc.

As soon as I opened the case on this demo set, I got that nice feeling that you always get when you see new gear. Then I savored everything about them, the smell, the beauty, the fantastic feel of them being in your hands. The aged cherry cups paired with the aged copper grills and rods look very classy. These headphones look as good as they sound, which has been the case for all ZMF headphones that I have owned. You feel the love that went into producing them. I like having something that was produced with someone's hands and hard work, it really does shine through in the final product.

Aesthetics is a big part of the equation with headphones for me. I want them to wow me with their looks as well as their sound, then you have the whole package so to speak. There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting pleasure through beauty. Like Deion Sanders once said, “If you look good, you feel good; if you feel good, you play good, if you play good, they pay good.” The Atrium looks, feels and plays good!
A5.jpgA8.jpg

Sound
This is a very open sounding headphone and the sound extends greatly in every direction.
The overall ZMF house sound is here. For me, that is bass with an impact, and treble that is never over the top and getting to the point of being overly bright. One thing that has become very important for me when listening to music is that it has to have some weight to it and the Atrium delivers that in spades with some nice meat on its bones. This is a full sound all across the spectrum.

Bass
At first, I was so taken by the mids, they just really seemed to steal the show. I did not realize how good the bass was until listening for a while. Make no mistake the Atrium digs deep and is very enjoyable.
The mid bass just blends in nicely and is like creamy milk chocolate and never seems to intrude with any vocals and not overdone. I’m not sure how the bass can sound this good and does not intrude on the mids … this is one of the Atrium’s strong points for sure. It is truly remarkable and really stands out the more you listen. This must have to do with Zach's special sauce and the new damping. I’m not sure, but it’s very nice indeed. After extended listening, I would say that this is about the best textured bass that I’ve heard. More about this later when I talk about the staging as I feel it has a lot to do with how I hear the bass.
The Atrium does not leave me wanting more bass, not in quantity or quality. It is presented well.

Mid-Range
The mids were the first thing that stood out, in a very big way. They just seemed to grab and mesmerized me.
The mids are very upfront and can steal the show if you let them because they are so clean and clear, just phenomenal. Acoustic music is fantastic. For example, Eric Clapton's, The Lady in the Balcony Album and Joe Bonamassa's, An Acoustic Evening at the Vienna Opera House never sounded better. The finger plucks on the acoustic instruments and the vocals are so well balanced. This detail is totally off the hook while still sounding warm, which very much suits my taste. A strong point of the Atrium for me personally.

There have been very few occasions that I felt the mids were a bit too far forward, but the recordings probably have as much to do with that as anything. I listen to a lot of Live albums and many are recorded at small venues. For instance Gary Moore's album. Live in London, is recorded in a very small club and on the song Parisienne Walkways at the 2:45 - 3:05 mark I wanted to be in the fourth or fifth row and not the first row. This being said, I have aways had moments like this with all of my headphones. The music lives in the mid’s and if you are a mid’s person, then I feel the Atrium would be for you. The bass never seems to be intruding the mid’s. Overall, the Atrium delivers some beautiful sounding mids. More about the mids when I talk about the staging.

Highs – Treble
At first, I felt the highs were a little more than what I prefer, but after listening for a good amount of time they settled in nicely. For the most part, I am not as interested in the highs as I am in the lows.
I just don't like them to be overly bright and fatiguing. I am a warmer type of listener; I want as much detail as I can get without the headphone sounding too bright. I usually, give up some detail for a more warm and musical sound. I will call the highs on the Atrium warm sounding; they extend and then gradually decay and fade away in such a satisfying way.

Staging & Imaging
This is where Zach's special sauce, the damping and the position of the drivers do something pretty remarkable. I hear a little bit of reverb; I think this is from a combination of the wood cups and Zach’s special sauce that I find so enjoyable. At some point in one's headphone journey, our ears will hear something that tells our brain, wow...this is something special. For me, once I heard the Verite Closed and the LCD-4, I realized that this sound was completely on another level from what I was used to.
The 3d sounds that go flying around your head make for some great music listening, it is a very intimate experience with headphones. The Atrium does this sooooooooo good. Such a joy to listen to, so very satisfying.

The staging on the Atrium is really, really good. On my live music I can close my eyes and clearly visualize where every musician and their instrument are located on the stage, and the imaging is to die for.
Hats off to ZMF for this, it is so very much enjoyable.

Within the staging, the mids give me the feeling that they are trying to reach for the moon in their extension, making the stage feel tall.
The depth of the stage is excellent and to my ears the bass really benefits from this as it makes for a very textured sounding bass.
The width does not seem all that wide but the way that the sound seems to continue on before fading and decaying away is very cool and gives the impression of a fairly
wide stage. I guess this means it is a fairly wide stage.

Timbre
All ZMF headphones that I have heard have a very nice timbre and it is one thing that draws me to their sound. The Atrium is no exception.
Atrium has excellent timbre. It’s easy to distinguish between instruments no matter how many there are, or how loud or low they are being played. The sound is not muddy, it is very clean. The sound is very natural and it makes you get lost in the music.

Ear-Pads
I am going to leave the ear pad impressions to others. Between rolling tubes, and amps I don’t feel the need to roll pads also. It can get pretty overwhelming at times with so many options. I am going to use the KISS approach here. Whatever pads Zach puts on the headphone, as the stock pads, has always been the way that I have listened and really have never felt the urge to change them.

In Conclusion
From the aesthetics to the lovely sound, the Atrium is a wonderful addition to the ZMF line up. As always, the attention to detail is easily seen and the build quality is top notch. Add in the excellent warranty on the drivers, and the family like feeling when dealing with ZMF, you have a winner. I have always been a huge fan of the ZMF house sound and it is on full display here. I quite like the reverb sound I hear in the cups, it is subtle, yet very gratifying. If you are a person that loves mid’s and you like the mid’s pushed a bit forward, I am pretty certain you will like what the Atrium has to offer.

The new headband pad is really comfortable. I never felt my VC to be uncomfortable at all, but this is more comfortable.

I always seem to prefer tubes when listening to ZMF headphones. The sound may get colored a bit, if you will, but it gives the sound character and it always sounds more analog to my ears.

I wish I did not have such a narrow genre of listening, but what I do listen to sounds pretty spectacular.

I seemed to prefer my OTL the most. I really like the euphoric sound. My 2nd favorite would be the SET amp. Bigger sound overall, everything a little more expanded over the OTL. The SET is still euphoric, just not to the level of the OTL.

My SS amp is the GS-X mk2 and it sounds great with the Atrium, it’s just not the sound that I prefer. It sounds very good, and could be the most neutral sound of my amps. It produces detail very well but it lacks in the euphoric aspect and I prefer the bass the tubes deliver.

Thank you to ZMF for the opportunity to listen to the Atrium. The pleasure has been all mine.

PS, I am sorry for not being a more professional reviewer, sometimes my grammar and writing skills are what I would call, very lacking and I’m not very eloquent with words.
It can be difficult for me to put in words everything that I hear.
You do just fine with words, @whirlwind! Thanks for a fine review...

Mar 31, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #60 of 6,271
Here are links to the Live Stream with ZMF and my video on the Atrium. Cheers!

Thanks for a very informative & entertaining review!

Honestly, I'd watch a video of you reading the phone book. Not sure why, but you have real presence on video...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back