ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Mar 28, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #5,971 of 6,193

This was recorded in a barn. I love it. Atrium is particularly good at capturing/ reproducing the space and the appropriate reverb and so on. Maybe that's why it's my favorite headphone I've ever heard. It just nails the room/ the tonality of the music every time.

That's interesting. My go for the atrium was exactly the soundstage everyone talks about it. How does it behave in the depth and tall? LCD-X does some crazy crap with my brain. The sound is sometimes very enveloping.
Waiting for my zebras jejeje

Mar 28, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #5,972 of 6,193
That's interesting. My go for the atrium was exactly the soundstage everyone talks about it. How does it behave in the depth and tall? LCD-X does some crazy crap with my brain. The sound is sometimes very enveloping.
Waiting for my zebras jejeje

Atrium has the more wide and "tall" sound to me, with a good amount of depth. Depending on the pad you can shift that somewhat. LCD-X sounds a bit more in your face/ wall of sound in comparison. Different animals.

Mar 28, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #5,973 of 6,193
Atrium has the more wide and "tall" sound to me, with a good amount of depth. Depending on the pad you can shift that somewhat. LCD-X sounds a bit more in your face/ wall of sound in comparison. Different animals.
I would agree with this assessment based on my experience with the LCD-X borrowed from a friend.

Mar 28, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #5,974 of 6,193
It's going to depend on the music too of course. Atrium is very mid-forward so it can definitely sound intimate if the music calls for it. It just does a lot of things that sounds "right" to my ears :)

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 6:58 AM Post #5,975 of 6,193
Has anyone experience with a Prion4 or a Lazuli Reference (or equivalent) with Atrium?

Search finds no results in the thread.

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #5,976 of 6,193
Has anyone experience with a Prion4 or a Lazuli Reference (or equivalent) with Atrium?

Search finds no results in the thread.

I have the Lazuli AD, a predecessor cable that is half the thickness (and twice the comfort). it’s one of the unique cables that really has a “character”. I plan to compare it to the Viking Weave Isa 8-core and Cardas Clear Beyond soon and will drop some notes.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #5,977 of 6,193
Just wanted to give a quick shoutout to @zach915m for the awesome support with my Atrium Ash LTD order. I know I hit you with a bunch of questions, but I'm really pleased with how everything turned out. Thanks again for your help!

JtBS2iN.jpg

9Hx3Hoj.jpg

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #5,978 of 6,193
Just wanted to give a quick shoutout to @zach915m for the awesome support with my Atrium Ash LTD order. I know I hit you with a bunch of questions, but I'm really pleased with how everything turned out. Thanks again for your help!

JtBS2iN.jpg

9Hx3Hoj.jpg

Stunning set! How do you perceive the weight difference to your old set?

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #5,979 of 6,193
Stunning set! How do you perceive the weight difference to your old set?

The difference is pretty big compared to the Atrium Cocobolo I had before. The Ash LTD weighs 550g, while the Cocobolo was 625g. Also, I've got the new BBB strap now, so it might not be an entirely fair comparison since I used the original strap with the Cocobolo. Plus, I've gotta say, the new Pro cable is a real game-changer for anyone seeking an affordable cable option. I'm not usually one to fuss over cables, but this one is so much more flexible and lightweight compared to the old OFC cable I used with my other ZMFs.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #5,980 of 6,193

JtBS2iN.jpg

9Hx3Hoj.jpg
Love me some Ash!

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #5,982 of 6,193
Glad my Ash set inspired you to get your own! I really lucked out buying my Ash Auteur all those years ago. It’s my favorite ZMF, as far as looks are concerned, of all the many sets I’ve owned.

I’m always tempted when a beautiful Ash set comes up for sale. There’s a nice Ash Caldera for sale here at the moment that is calling my name. Unfortunately, I’m tapped out financially for the foreseeable future as far as audio purchases are concerned. In the past year I’ve picked up an Ash Atrium Closed, Yggy A2, and Mjolnir 3. I’d have to sell something if I wanted to buy something, and nothing I have at the moment is going anywhere.

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #5,983 of 6,193

JtBS2iN.jpg

9Hx3Hoj.jpg

Ash wood is just so beautiful, and your set has a beauitful symmetry of grain that is quite exquisite... love it ❤️

Congrats!

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #5,984 of 6,193
There’s a nice Ash Caldera for sale here at the moment that is calling my name. Unfortunately, I’m tapped out financially for the foreseeable future as far as audio purchases are concerned. In the past year I’ve picked up an Ash Atrium Closed, Yggy A2, and Mjolnir 3. I’d have to sell something if I wanted to buy something, and nothing I have at the moment is going anywhere.

I saw the Ash Caldera you mentioned this morning and almost contacted the seller. But I've also bought a bunch of gear in the past year, so I'll just stick to enjoying what I have for a while.

Ash wood is just so beautiful, and your set has a beauitful symmetry of grain that is quite exquisite... love it ❤️

Congrats!

Thanks! Zach assured me they'd select some nice wood for my set, and I couldn't be happier with the final result.

Mar 30, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #5,985 of 6,193

This is one of my favorite albums to test bass. It's instrumental with a lot of bass and acoustic instruments, electric guitars. "Textured" is what comes to mind when listening with Atrium and it's the best I've heard the album. Zappa in general has a lot of well recorded albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back