ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
May 3, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #571 of 6,158
Hello all!

I have an Atrium on the way and I use a Bifrost 2 - Jotunheim 2 or Lyr 3 and a JDS Element 3. I'm thinking of getting an OTL tube amp though to see how that pairs with the Atrium as well. I've been looking at Valhalla 2, Xduoo TA-26, Bottlehead Crack...and if it's worth it I could bump up to Woo Audio WA6 or Feliks Echo. Bottlehead sounds like fun, but I might not have the time to really put it together, so that's lower on the list as well.

My main question is, will my current amps be sufficient or should I dabble with OTL? I'm leaning towards the cheaper OTLs to see if it's worthwhile considering I've never tried OTL, so Valhalla 2 and Xudoo TA-26.
I have the same setup as you and thinking also on an OTL amp but directly Echo MKII which is cheap right now in a shop near me.

@Kbeau told me on a previous post he has an Echo MKII and could clear our doubts once he has his Atriums.

Any help about others amps you mention would be great though. I would like to know if Echo MKII is simialr to the BHC 1.1, so I dont need to pay customs and save the DIY part.

Edit: I saw Xduoo TA-26 is cheap and also in the shop. I would be interested if it is a good OTL for Atrium and comparable to BHC 1.1

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #572 of 6,158
I've been using the solid mesh from the beginning, at one point I thought I wanted to try the medium treble intensity mesh, but I've been content with the sound from the start. I think solid is right for my taste, smooth as buttuh. Getting some ridiculous staging, clarity, and bass slam from the Atrium with my OTL. Great for EDM, I think this headphone can do any genre wonderfully.

May 3, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #573 of 6,158
Hello all!

I have an Atrium on the way and I use a Bifrost 2 - Jotunheim 2 or Lyr 3 and a JDS Element 3. I'm thinking of getting an OTL tube amp though to see how that pairs with the Atrium as well. I've been looking at Valhalla 2, Xduoo TA-26, Bottlehead Crack...and if it's worth it I could bump up to Woo Audio WA6 or Feliks Echo. Bottlehead sounds like fun, but I might not have the time to really put it together, so that's lower on the list as well.

My main question is, will my current amps be sufficient or should I dabble with OTL? I'm leaning towards the cheaper OTLs to see if it's worthwhile considering I've never tried OTL, so Valhalla 2 and Xudoo TA-26.
You could go either way, you have decent equipment as is. You could start with your current system, burn in the Atrium, and get to know it for awhile. Then assess what, if any, changes you'd want from an amp change, and go from there. Or you could add one now to compare/contrast with your other amps. IMO the difference between your Jot/Lyr and the amps listed isn't going to be huge. You'll gain some tube staging (more holographic soundstage with more three dimensional aspects to the sound), and depending on tubes, some mild coloration. But nothing mind blowing IMO. If you could up your budget a bit and move up a tier, say to a Hagerman Tuba, Echo (mk 1 or 2), already built crack with speedball, and others I'm forgetting, you'd see a bigger jump in performance. I personally like the Valhalla 2 at the lower price tier.

May 3, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #574 of 6,158
You could go either way, you have decent equipment as is. You could start with your current system, burn in the Atrium, and get to know it for awhile. Then assess what, if any, changes you'd want from an amp change, and go from there. Or you could add one now to compare/contrast with your other amps. IMO the difference between your Jot/Lyr and the amps listed isn't going to be huge. You'll gain some tube staging (more holographic soundstage with more three dimensional aspects to the sound), and depending on tubes, some mild coloration. But nothing mind blowing IMO. If you could up your budget a bit and move up a tier, say to a Hagerman Tuba, Echo (mk 1 or 2), already built crack with speedball, and others I'm forgetting, you'd see a bigger jump in performance. I personally like the Valhalla 2 at the lower price tier.
Is the BHC w/speedball really that good? I know how to solder and I bet I could build it, I just really don't have much time these days :slight_frown:. I was wondering about Feliks Echo MK2 or Woo Audio WA6 (both around $1000). It's a bit higher than I would like, especially if I'm only getting minor differences than a $300 range Valhalla 2 or Xduoo TA-26. If I went that high I'd probably try to sell my Lyr 3 since it would be a bit redundant. I figure I can get around $400 for the Lyr and if I add another $600 I could maybe reach for the Echo or WA6, but I want to know those are significant upgrades, otherwise it wouldn't be worth it. My wife already hates I spent as much as I did to get the Atrium lol.

May 3, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #575 of 6,158
Hello all!

In my opinion, if you want to get an entry level OTL, go with the BHC+SB. Years ago I had a BHC+SB and a FA Espressivo Mark II (previously a step above the Echo on the FA ladder) on hand for an A-B test, I found the BHC+SB to be far better. You can have someone else build the BHC for you if you aren't feeling up to it, there is a member here who sells fully completed and very well-made BHC+SB on Etsy. If you build it yourself, you will come away with the skills and equipment to pursue other DIY projects.

Edit: looks like Etsy gentleman I mentioned no longer has kits, so you have to have it sent to him from BH, his fee is to have it built all fancy like. So it still approaches the $1K price point, but he does great work.

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #576 of 6,158
Hello all!

In my opinion, if you want to get an entry level OTL, go with the BHC+SB. Years ago I had a BHC+SB and a FA Espressivo Mark II (previously a step above the Echo on the FA ladder) on hand for an A-B test, I found the BHC+SB to be far better. You can have someone else build the BHC for you if you aren't feeling up to it, there is a member here who sells fully completed and very well-made BHC+SB on Etsy. If you build it yourself, you will come away with the skills and equipment to pursue other DIY projects.
I would recommend listening to what L0rd Gwyn has to say about amps. He knows his stuff!

May 3, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #577 of 6,158

Edit: looks like Etsy gentleman I mentioned no longer has kits, so you have to have it sent to him from BH, his fee is to have it built all fancy like. So it still approaches the $1K price point, but he does great work.
Man I'd love to have one! I can solder and I have a lot of tools since I build computers, I mod mice, I build custom mechanical keyboards (including soldering the boards)...I just haven't been able to mess with any of those hobbies lately, so I know it would take me forever to put together the BHC. I guess I could do it very slowly, make it a mini project of mine for a while, I just worry I'll mess up something and throw away $500. I could get someone to build it for me, but then I'll feel like I should've built it. Hmmm choices...

Do you think the BHC+SB is going to make my Atriums sound better than a Lyr 3 or Jot 2?

EDIT: Do you think having a pre-built BHC+SB is better than Woo Audio WA6 or Feliks Echo MK2? Cause it's in the same price bracket.

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #578 of 6,158
Man I'd love to have one! I can solder and I have a lot of tools since I build computers, I mod mice, I build custom mechanical keyboards (including soldering the boards)...I just haven't been able to mess with any of those hobbies lately, so I know it would take me forever to put together the BHC. I guess I could do it very slowly, make it a mini project of mine for a while, I just worry I'll mess up something and throw away $500. I could get someone to build it for me, but then I'll feel like I should've built it. Hmmm choices...

Do you think the BHC+SB is going to make my Atriums sound better than a Lyr 3 or Jot 2?

Hard to say as I have not heard the Lyr 3, but I can tell you I thought it was much better than the Lyr 2 when I was first getting into tubes. If you can get your hands on a Tung-Sol 5998, the sound can be very impressive.

I wouldn't worry too much about screwing it up, BH does a great job of writing very straightforward instructions, you can build one without having any knowledge of the circuit functionality if you just follow the steps. If you were to screw something up, you can describe the issue on the BH Forum and Paul Birkeland will help you troubleshoot the issue directly. The true worst case scenario is having to send it to them for a fix, but that is exceedingly rare. It is designed to be built by people who aren't necessarily knowledgeable in tube design, just need to be able to solder, use a digital multimeter, and follow directions. You can also add your own aesthetic flair by choosing the finish for the top plate, transformer end bell, and wood base. Also lots of modding you could get into if you felt the itch.

Beware though, once you get into tubes, it can be hard to break free of their grasp :gs1000smile:

May 3, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #579 of 6,158
Hard to say as I have not heard the Lyr 3, but I can tell you I thought it was much better than the Lyr 2 when I was first getting into tubes. If you can get your hands on a Tung-Sol 5998, the sound can be very impressive.

I wouldn't worry too much about screwing it up, BH does a great job of writing very straightforward instructions, you can build one without having any knowledge of the circuit functionality if you just follow the steps. If you were to screw something up, you can describe the issue on the BH Forum and Paul Birkeland will help you troubleshoot the issue directly. The true worst case scenario is having to send it to them for a fix, but that is exceedingly rare. It is designed to be built by people who aren't necessarily knowledgeable in tube design, just need to be able to solder, use a digital multimeter, and follow directions. You can also add your own aesthetic flair by choosing the finish for the top plate, transformer end bell, and wood base. Also lots of modding you could get into if you felt the itch.

Beware though, once you get into tubes, it can be hard to break free of their grasp :gs1000smile:
So I've heard! Seems like BHC would be a deep dive too cause then you learn how they work. I imagine the sense of satisfaction from building it and hearing it knowing you built it is probably pretty incredible. I know that I feel great after a new keyboard build when I soldered everything together right or when I swap up switches in a mouse, or a new PC build working out well. Great feeling knowing you put it together.

I'm...very tempted to just get a BHC and take my time building it. I could always just do a bit every weekend and be done within a couple weeks or something. I hear nothing but praise for BHC.

May 3, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #580 of 6,158
Is the BHC w/speedball really that good?
Yes. Well designed circuits never go out of fashion (e.g., many vintage amps trounce modern to many ears). Don't let the price point fool you... You're saving a lot on the fact that it's DIY, and they don't have a large marketing/staff budget to accommodate.

Crackatwoa is even better than BHC + SB. I love tinkering, but I don't feel the need to build another tube amp right now for my cans. This coming from someone who just spent two weekends building a VFET (SIT) power amp (best of both tube and transistors).

Bottlehead is that good, IMO.

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #581 of 6,158
So I've heard! Seems like BHC would be a deep dive too cause then you learn how they work. I imagine the sense of satisfaction from building it and hearing it knowing you built it is probably pretty incredible. I know that I feel great after a new keyboard build when I soldered everything together right or when I swap up switches in a mouse, or a new PC build working out well. Great feeling knowing you put it together.

I'm...very tempted to just get a BHC and take my time building it. I could always just do a bit every weekend and be done within a couple weeks or something. I hear nothing but praise for BHC.

Well the directions are written in more of a "do this, then do that" sort of way, so it doesn't get into the specifics of how the circuit works. BUT that information is available on the BH forum and you certainly could use the BHC circuit as a means to educate yourself on tube design.

Building something yourself is very satisfying, it adds a degree of sentimentality to the gear knowing that you build it. I think a few hours over a few weekends and you'd have it done, no problem.

One thing to note though if you aren't already aware - due to the high output impedance, the BHC pairs best with high impedance dynamics, definitely not a do-it-all amplifier. Sennheisers, Beyerdynamics, ZMFs all work great.

Let's put it this way - I got into DIY after building / hearing the BHC+SB, opened my eyes as to what could be done with a tube circuit. Now I am a tube DIY psycho, I have an OTL on my desk that probably weighs 25lbs and looks like it came straight out of Hellraiser.

May 3, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #582 of 6,158
Yes. Well designed circuits never go out of fashion (e.g., many vintage amps trounce modern to many ears). Don't let the price point fool you... You're saving a lot on the fact that it's DIY, and they don't have a large marketing/staff budget to accommodate.

Crackatwoa is even better than BHC + SB. I love tinkering, but I don't feel the need to build another tube amp right now for my cans. This coming from someone who just spent two weekends building a VFET (SIT) power amp (best of both tube and transistors).

Bottlehead is that good, IMO.
Dang...you guys really going to make me get this and start building huh? I guess I'll let you know how the Atrium sounds off of it in a few months when I can finally get it done! At least that will get me plenty adjusted to the Atrium on SS first to get a nice comparison :).

May 3, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #583 of 6,158
One thing to note though if you aren't already aware - due to the high output impedance, the BHC pairs best with high impedance dynamics, definitely not a do-it-all amplifier. Sennheisers, Beyerdynamics, ZMFs all work great.
Good thing all my headphones are ZMF and Beyer! I have a DT1990, a Verite Open (I'm getting today from a trade, excited!), and an Atrium on the way. I might also snag a 6xx, though not sure yet. Could use a nice OTL for it :xf_wink:.

May 3, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #584 of 6,158
I might also snag a 6xx, though not sure yet. Could use a nice OTL for it
Pro tip, as I see you're still stuck on a Sennheiser....skip the 6xx, and try and find a Sennheiser HD250. You can thank me later for suggesting a fantastic sounding headphone and probably saving you a few bucks in the process. The HD250 still gets head time in my collection and the 600/6xx have both long been sold off.

May 3, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #585 of 6,158
Dang...you guys really going to make me get this and start building huh? I guess I'll let you know how the Atrium sounds off of it in a few months when I can finally get it done! At least that will get me plenty adjusted to the Atrium on SS first to get a nice comparison :).
They convinced me to buy the BHC+SB and I will build it while burn-in the Atriums. Even being my first time soldiering, I will not think anymore, I will learn at the same time and I just will do it well. Also, I wanted to learn to weld since long time :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back