ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
May 2, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #556 of 6,231
If I wanted to try the solid mesh, would I just order the solid option on this page then?

https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/diy/products/acoustic-titan-mesh?variant=41596362686627

There are sometimes I like the VC's upper mids (Universe pads) more than my Atrium's (universe). Auteur pads seem to darken things up just a tad too much. I'm wondering if Uni + Solid mesh is my Goldilocks..?

Edit: tho, actually, after spending some more time with the Auteur pads they may not be so bad :0

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #557 of 6,231
The VO are just smoother and more laid-back. Especially in the mids, but all while maintaining detail. The Atrium can get a little peaky in vocals with several artists that I have tried.
The Atrium does have a slight etch between 5-6k range which isn't present in the VO and usually that affect certain vocals in my experience so that might be the cause of your discomfort. You might be able to dampened with solid mesh.
Laid back, ok....but smoother? What mesh does your set have?
In this sense the VO is indeed smoother as the peak between 5-6k doesn't exist.

May 2, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #558 of 6,231
I'm using the solid mesh on the Atrium. If any etch exists, I don't hear it

May 2, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #559 of 6,231
The Atrium does have a slight etch between 5-6k range which isn't present in the VO and usually that affect certain vocals in my experience so that might be the cause of your discomfort. You might be able to dampened with solid mesh.

In this sense the VO is indeed smoother as the peak between 5-6k doesn't exist.
That's pretty much in line with what I have experienced as well as the 2200-3000 range. It's not very troubling as I said, but it's there nonetheless. I have found that I am oddly sensitive to some frequencies where others are not. It's always been that way. It was much more prevalent when I was younger, but I think it still contributes to some of the differing experiences that I have had with certain equipment. I may give the mesh a try, but I think I'll let them be for now at least. Once I think they are settled, I can decide if it's warranted. I'm also not sure that I've found my favorite pad yet either. Options abound to say the least.

May 3, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #561 of 6,231
Indeed hearing is unique, that's something we often forget IME. No one can tell anyone else what they perceive, though we do sometimes struggle with definitions (describing sound with words is incredibly difficult I think). That being said, +1 for the solid mesh, it would likely mitigate any perceived harshness, but of course YMMV.

May 3, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #562 of 6,231
Finally finished my review of the ZMF Atrium.

To summarize: they have an exceedingly natural sound that borders on intoxicating, and you’ll keep coming back for more. The timbre, the lifelike tone of strings and keys, the atmospheric presentation, all coupled with the artisan build results in something exceptional.

For those who prefer the utmost resolution or dead-cold neutrality, the Atrium won’t appeal. However, for those who value naturalness and attention to detail – you are in for a treat.

Full review with comparisons against Auteur, Empyrean, and HE-6se V2: https://www.headphonesty.com/2022/05/review-zmf-atrium/

atrium - cover.jpg

May 3, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #563 of 6,231
Indeed hearing is unique, that's something we often forget IME. No one can tell anyone else what they perceive, though we do sometimes struggle with definitions (describing sound with words is incredibly difficult I think). That being said, +1 for the solid mesh, it would likely mitigate any perceived harshness, but of course YMMV.
I totally agree.
Other than having a hearing test to test an individual’s ability to hear certain frequencies, it is all subjective.
What you and I perceive can be totally different….
And then putting it into words adds a level of broken telephone to the mix…
Yet here we are, discussing minute variations in great detail, looking for consensus and or differences of opinion in the group.

We are kind of like a bunch of art critics, imho 🤔

Then throw in the mix that we are all slowly going deaf 😩

*** Best hobby ever! 😎
Why?
Because of the AMAZING way it makes us feel when we hear the music we love, delivered in a manner that appeals to our personal taste in sound signature….

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #564 of 6,231
*** Best hobby ever! 😎
Why?
Because of the AMAZING way it makes us feel when we hear the music we love, delivered in a manner that appeals to our personal taste in sound signature….

But you didn't see the cons in small print: "Prepare to empty your wallet"

May 3, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #565 of 6,231
That's pretty much in line with what I have experienced as well as the 2200-3000 range. It's not very troubling as I said, but it's there nonetheless. I have found that I am oddly sensitive to some frequencies where others are not. It's always been that way. It was much more prevalent when I was younger, but I think it still contributes to some of the differing experiences that I have had with certain equipment. I may give the mesh a try, but I think I'll let them be for now at least. Once I think they are settled, I can decide if it's warranted. I'm also not sure that I've found my favorite pad yet either. Options abound to say the least.
I've always been sensitive to beamy/peaky treble, whether in speakers, headphones, or other gear.

I do hear a slight elevation in upper mids on the Atrium vs VO (which has nothing like that). But at least for me, that elevation on the Atrium is more like a plateau than a spike. To my ears, it falls into the "hurts so good" category: a slight emphasis of frequencies, not a narrow frequency band "shouting" at me. In any case, the entire frequency range of the Atrium sounds smooth as silk IMO. That is part of what makes it such a musical headphone design.

There are other factors at play here:
  1. The drivers are different. At least some of the inherent speed & resolution of the VO comes from the beryllium driver
  2. The damping is obviously very different on the Atrium ... setting up its exceptional soundstage
  3. I've also found the Atrium to be more somewhat more reactive to different amps than the VO. Certain of my amps bring out the upper mids more than others
My Atrium has the very first of the screens ZMF used in the loaner headphones (I think it's solid). I won't be changing that anytime soon. IMO it's just about perfect. If I feel the need to balance out the Atrium's treble, it's easy enough to switch amps; or if I get ambitious, switch to the Auteur perforated pads, which make the sound somewhat warmed, more reverberant, with less treble.

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #566 of 6,231

To summarize: they have an exceedingly natural sound that borders on intoxicating, and you’ll keep coming back for more. The timbre, the lifelike tone of strings and keys, the atmospheric presentation, all coupled with the artisan build results in something exceptional.

For those who prefer the utmost resolution or dead-cold neutrality, the Atrium won’t appeal. However, for those who value naturalness and attention to detail – you are in for a treat.

Full review with comparisons against Auteur, Empyrean, and HE-6se V2: https://www.headphonesty.com/2022/05/review-zmf-atrium/

atrium - cover.jpg
Good review...well done!

May 3, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #567 of 6,231
I’ve simply never heard a more perfect headphone, for my preferences, than the Atrium. It’s what I’ve always hoped for and wanted in a flagship, but have never been able to find. I used to scour head-fi multiple times a day, reading everything I could find about new headphones or forgotten treasures. Now, I pretty much only get alerts for the Atrium and special deals. There is no other headphone that interests me at this time. All I want and all I need is more Atrium time, that’s all.

May 3, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #568 of 6,231
Hello all!

I have an Atrium on the way and I use a Bifrost 2 - Jotunheim 2 or Lyr 3 and a JDS Element 3. I'm thinking of getting an OTL tube amp though to see how that pairs with the Atrium as well. I've been looking at Valhalla 2, Xduoo TA-26, Bottlehead Crack...and if it's worth it I could bump up to Woo Audio WA6 or Feliks Echo. Bottlehead sounds like fun, but I might not have the time to really put it together, so that's lower on the list as well.

My main question is, will my current amps be sufficient or should I dabble with OTL? I'm leaning towards the cheaper OTLs to see if it's worthwhile considering I've never tried OTL, so Valhalla 2 and Xudoo TA-26.

May 3, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #569 of 6,231

The only thing I don’t get with your review, is the claim that it has rolled off sub bass. I don’t hear much difference between the sub bass extension among the Atrium, Verite, and Auteur. And in graphs, the bass down to 20hz looks pretty much identical. I’m not sure if there’s a seal issue with your pads, but that’s the only part of your review that raised an eyebrow.

May 3, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #570 of 6,231
The only thing I don’t get with your review, is the claim that it has rolled off sub bass. I don’t hear much difference between the sub bass extension among the Atrium, Verite, and Auteur. And in graphs, the bass down to 20hz looks pretty much identical. I’m not sure if there’s a seal issue with your pads, but that’s the only part of your review that raised an eyebrow.
That's my experience as well, though from (imperfect) memory the Auteur hit a bit harder in the sub region, might account for feeling like more extension. Again, we all hear differently so I wasn't going to mention it. But since you did....I do agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back