ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Nov 28, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #3,811 of 6,370
Extremely happy to welcome the Atrium Floresta to my ZMF family to join the Cocobolo Aeolus...

DW2zLEO.jpg
I think that's my favorite looking Atrium that I've ever seen! The colors and wood grain are a gorgeous mix.

Nov 28, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #3,812 of 6,370
Not this amplifier. This is done. I wanted to get two!

If this can drive DCA as I hear it can .... I may sell all else.

Just on principle. I mean, at this price, and size?

This winter, Mimby 2 is coming!
where can we find those release info?

Nov 28, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #3,813 of 6,370
Listening to the first track of this wonderful album and have shivers down my spine.

The timbre of the violin on the Atrium here is just incredible (and the orchestra imaging is just fantastic)

Whatever genre you listen to, take a few minutes and play this track to nourish your soul...

1669693526274.png

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #3,814 of 6,370
After like 2 months I finally got to fire up my Airmid tonight and reached for the Atrium. They did not disappoint :)

Nov 30, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #3,815 of 6,370
where can we find those release info?

In the Schiit Happened thread, Jason said "if we're lucky", December or January. Maybe a price raise of $50.

It's a shame because I wanted to buy another Piety for the office. Good news for the Mimby 2, I will be the first in line to buy one.
Yeah, I should correct myself, I don't believe it's a "2", just a supply of the present Mimby.

I allowed my curiosity of a TI based Mimby to take over my brain briefly.

Nov 30, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #3,816 of 6,370
In the Schiit Happened thread, Jason said "if we're lucky", December or January. Maybe a price raise of $50.

Yeah, I should correct myself, I don't believe it's a "2", just a supply of the present Mimby.

I allowed my curiosity of a TI based Mimby to take over my brain briefly.

Actually, it is supposed to be the modi multibit 2. I’d link a reference but that link goes to the site that shall not be named.

Dec 1, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #3,817 of 6,370
I'm curious as to whether anyone has performed an A/B comparison with the Atrium re: differing wood density.

I know that the general consensus is that they're all tuned to the same target, and that the VC is probably the one with the most noticeable wood 'play,' but it'd be interesting to hear if anyone has heard both the Cherry and a harder wood or resin stabilized? Curious if there's any subtle differences in decay & transient characteristics -- or, if the Atrium Damping System mitigates most of that.

Dec 1, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #3,818 of 6,370
I'm curious as to whether anyone has performed an A/B comparison with the Atrium re: differing wood density.

I know that the general consensus is that they're all tuned to the same target, and that the VC is probably the one with the most noticeable wood 'play,' but it'd be interesting to hear if anyone has heard both the Cherry and a harder wood or resin stabilized? Curious if there's any subtle differences in decay & transient characteristics -- or, if the Atrium Damping System mitigates most of that.
I had a Cherry Atrium on a loaner tour, and now own a Cocobolo set. Can't say there was anything which survived across the 2 month auditory memory gap -- meaning nothing so different as to stand out once my Cocos were burnt in.

Zach always says the differences produced by different woods is pretty minimal. My guess is that you will hear more differences when you swap pads than you would hear A/Bing two sets with the same pads -- pure conjecture of course, but based on the degree of difference I hear when I pad swap.

BTW, I've always wondered about the 'wood effect' when I've read impressions of (say) Teak sets which don't match what my ears are hearing from my Blackwood Auteur. But I've never had a chance to A/B mine with another set.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #3,819 of 6,370

I got u dawg.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-atrium-new-open-back-co-flagship.962609/post-17080173

Dec 1, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #3,820 of 6,370
Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #3,821 of 6,370
@heliosphann; the hero we need, but not the one we deserve. :)

I got a couple pages into the search results before I gave up. Turns out I was probably only a page or so away from stumbling upon this post.

This is a very cool comparison. Makes me think I may end up enjoying the resin stabilized more than the Cherry I previously had.

Thanks, @heliosphann!
Thank you, thank you. Just glad I could help!

The search function can be a little spotty here in my experience. I actually just did a search for my comparison, and it took me some effort to find it!

Dec 2, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #3,822 of 6,370
Found this wonderful cover by Six-String Soldiers to Pink Floyd's "I wish you were here". The 2 guitars + banjo sound so great:

Dec 2, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #3,823 of 6,370
Found this wonderful cover by Six-String Soldiers to Pink Floyd's "I wish you were here". The 2 guitars + banjo sound so great:

That is cool and done really well. It tempts me to dig out my old banjo from storage but I'm not as coordinated as I once was. I learned Earl Scruggs style as a kid and it was fun pickin' and grinnin' with my brother on the guitar.

Dec 4, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #3,825 of 6,370
I was wondering if anyone has tried an lcd5 that has an atrium too? So far atrium has best guitar sound of any headphone I’ve owned and was wondering how guitars on lcd 5 compare?
You mean best electric guitar correct? Because if you mean best acoustic guitar I would have to disagree.

Regarding the effect of different wood, I would guess that the difference from new to broken in is more dramatic by far, which is a big difference to my experience.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back