ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Dec 5, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #3,827 of 6,515
Does anyone know if the perforated pads have the perforations go all the way thru the padding inside, or are these perforations just on the outside material? I really would rather not rip one of these open to find out, so was seeing if anyone knew here before I did.

Dec 5, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #3,828 of 6,515
Does anyone know if the perforated pads have the perforations go all the way thru the padding inside, or are these perforations just on the outside material? I really would rather not rip one of these open to find out, so was seeing if anyone knew here before I did.
I assume the perfs are made on sheets of material which is later applied to the foam.

Though perfing the foam too is an idea. They'd need a bigger machine, probably just use a hand roller now.

I got the crescent strap, could use two sizes. For DCA, Grado, and Sennheiser they are too big, could use less foam. But not many people are applying this for those headphones so why would they do that?

Also the dca the strap in the middle is too short, though I could probably fit a strap with two buckles and jerry rig it. I'm not certain how serious ZMF takes these, but they are so good I think it's possibly as lucrative a business as the headphones.

Dec 5, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #3,829 of 6,515
Even though ZMF only recommends perfs to open back, I remember someone mentioned with solid pads on Atrium (or maybe VO), it was surprisingly good.

Dec 5, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #3,830 of 6,515
Even though ZMF only recommends perfs to open back, I remember someone mentioned with solid pads on Atrium (or maybe VO), it was surprisingly good.
I use solid pads on my Atrium and love them (their solid Oval Suede) - the perf pads I have, I use leather tape to cover the perfs on the outside rim, and always improves the SQ for me.

Dec 5, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #3,831 of 6,515
I use solid pads on my Atrium and love them (their solid Oval Suede) - the perf pads I have, I use leather tape to cover the perfs on the outside rim, and always improves the SQ for me.
Taking the advantage of ZMF Nov, will order two more pads, can't let ZMF Nov go empty handed.

Dec 5, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #3,832 of 6,515
BTW, I initially bought only one pad. After the suggestion from here a few min later+, I contact customer service if I can add one more to avoid two shipping charge. My request was almost immediately answered. They opened my order and added what I want.

Never had customer service at this level before!

Dec 5, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #3,833 of 6,515
Hello,

Does anybody have a desktop cable recommendation for the Atrium?

I purchased Atrium LTD 237 this ZMF November and some friends recommended me to look into a upgrade cable for usability (as opposed to using the OFC cable). I've read through this and several of the cable manufacturer threads and it seems like the ZMF 2K Copper, ZMF Lektric C 4-strand, or a copper cable with 18 to 20 AWG per polarity is a common upgrade. I'm leaning towards an Arctic Cables Talos, but I'd appreciate being told that's overkill and I should look at something in a smaller AWG.

Dec 5, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #3,834 of 6,515
Hello,

I purchased Atrium LTD 237 this ZMF November and some friends recommended me to look into a upgrade cable for usability (as opposed to using the OFC cable). I've read through this and several of the cable manufacturer threads and it seems like the ZMF 2K Copper, ZMF Lektric C 4-strand, or a copper cable with 18 to 20 AWG per polarity is a common upgrade. I'm leaning towards an Arctic Cables Talos, but I'd appreciate being told that's overkill and I should look at something in a smaller AWG.
I use a Norne Drausk cable with my Atrium. I can't recommend it enough.

Dec 5, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #3,835 of 6,515
Most people, including myself, have found using solid pads on an open ZMF to be... not good.

Dec 5, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #3,836 of 6,515
Most people, including myself, have found using solid pads on an open ZMF to be... not good.
+1000

Solid pads with open headphones and vice versa just sound weird and downright awful.

Dec 5, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #3,837 of 6,515
Hello,

I have used multiple cables on both my Atrium and Verite. Atrium to my ears sounds best with the Verite Silver XLR and using solid-state amplifier, and the Verite Open sound best with the 2K copper XLR cable using a tube amplifier.

Atrium on tubes can go either way, but I hear more refined detail when using the silver cable. Notes seem louder, and seem to have a longer decay that I can trace until they are silent. Copper is smoother, seems to round off any harshness, and can slightly hide issues with bad recordings. Lastly, using different mesh can also help tune the sound, as can pads. I use the perforated suede from the Aikon pads. Seems to work well for my preferred musical tastes.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #3,838 of 6,515
+1000

Solid pads with open headphones and vice versa just sound weird and downright awful.
Guess I am a weird being. However, my father came over a couple weeks ago and I was showing him the headphones + tube amp, and had him listen, and his mind was blown on how good they sounded. He ended up asking if he could stay in my office and listen to more songs, I said ofc, and he was gone for 3 hours :sweat_smile:

He certainly seemed to think they sounded amazing with the solid oval suede pads too. Granted, he doesnt have any "audiophile" experience, however thats what happened to someone that doesnt enjoy listening to music like we "enjoy" it, and had him totally captured.

Dec 5, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #3,839 of 6,515
You are absolutely right. I honestly should apologize for my reply becauase who am i to tell you that youre listening to something wrong. If you enjoy it, thne by all means keep enjoying, no matter how unorthodox it is. You're enjoyment is what matters the most. Keep rocking those solid pads bro. Keep us posted about your experiments.

Dec 5, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #3,840 of 6,515
I think the purpose of the forum is to share our experience and opinions, including opinion for and against certain thing. I appreciate both you guys above and I will share my experience once I got my pads. I will not hold any grudge again either of you if my experience is successful or unsuccessful, it is part of the pleasure of pad rolling.

For example, I always want to buy highly regarded IEMs such as 64 audio U12t. I had the opportunity to demo it during this CanJam Socal, and I found it is simply not for me. Taste is definitely very personal, since our audiophiles are not scientists or engineers, we do not necessarily want to faithfully reproduce the music as it originally intended to be, rather we want to find the Wow factor that satisfies our quest for new adventure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back