ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Nov 18, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #3,781 of 6,283
They took my favorite spot too! So much so that I'm going to sell off the rest of the collection haha
I have an Atrium and a VC. I think I like the Atrium more on most days but then I will swap back to the VC and I realize why I love it too! Those are the only headphones I really care about besides the Caldera. Since I decided to check out ZMF many months back I've pretty much found the sound I really connect with. I have found out that I'm a tube guy and a ZMF fan! They go together like peanut butter and jelly! Owning these 2 headphones has made me stop itching for other headphones so I feel content now!

Nov 18, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #3,782 of 6,283
it gets even better on tubes =)
Tried it yesterday and was blown away!
A0622901-30D1-4844-9DB8-56BF169E7702.jpeg

Nov 18, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #3,783 of 6,283
Anybody know when pads and cables will be on sale during Zmf November?

Nov 18, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #3,784 of 6,283
Nov 18, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #3,785 of 6,283
Female vocalists on the Atrium are just so good. The new Weyes Blood album is a beguiling listen.

Nov 20, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #3,786 of 6,283
Interesting, I am thinking about trading my Atrium for a VC if I found VC is more preferable. I need to get a VC first.
I don't know how long you have had your Atrium, but I suggest you don't make any decision on parting with it until it has a few hundred hours on it.

They seem to be pretty much run in after 100 to 150 hours, but I found improvements still came in after that. OK, small and subtle changes, not as major as the changes at say 100 hours; but even though small, I'd say very significant. I put it this way; going from say 95% to 98% is a bigger change than from 98% to 99%, but the latter is more significant in terms of getting towards perfection. A weird view? Quite possibly! There are few absolute truths here.

Anyway, comparing a fully run in demo or used VC against a less used Atrium might well give an invalid result in my view. Take care.

Nov 20, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #3,787 of 6,283
I don't know how long you have had your Atrium, but I suggest you don't make any decision on parting with it until it has a few hundred hours on it.

They seem to be pretty much run in after 100 to 150 hours, but I found improvements still came in after that. OK, small and subtle changes, not as major as the changes at say 100 hours; but even though small, I'd say very significant. I put it this way; going from say 95% to 98% is a bigger change than from 98% to 99%, but the latter is more significant in terms of getting towards perfection. A weird view? Quite possibly! There are few absolute truths here.

Anyway, comparing a fully run in demo or used VC against a less used Atrium might well give an invalid result in my view. Take care.
I agree with this. I have had 2 Atrium. The first Atrium was bought already plenty burnt in and the 2nd was brand new. I didn't like the 2nd Atrium as much but once it got plenty if hours on it I enjoyed it just Luke I did before. I slightly prefer my Atrium over my VC.

Nov 21, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #3,788 of 6,283
Female vocalists on the Atrium are just so good. The new Weyes Blood album is a beguiling listen.
Indeed, so very very good!
And done correctly. I recently featured Linda Ronstadt's Get Closer album, it's a poor one as on many songs there her voice is more like shouting than singing. I know this from the LP on my speaker system.
The Atrium shows exactly this, it does not massage the sound or hide the faults. But when the music is good, as on Mendocino, the results are wonderful!
This is fidelity.

Thanks for telling about Weyes Blood; 2 CDs are on order.

Nov 21, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #3,789 of 6,283
Hey, does anyone know if low strength thread locker is used on the chassis where the hex screws connect to the wood cups? For some reason, the two hex screws on one side start to move lower and lower, and eventually the chassis comes off of the cup - the other side does not do this at all - it is an easy enough fix, but was wondering if it would be okay to apply some low strength thread locker on these (not the permanent kind). I would imagine it should be okay, and thought maybe one side had this applied from original assembly and the other side was forgotten about or something.

Nov 21, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #3,790 of 6,283
Hey, does anyone know if low strength thread locker is used on the chassis where the hex screws connect to the wood cups? For some reason, the two hex screws on one side start to move lower and lower, and eventually the chassis comes off of the cup - the other side does not do this at all - it is an easy enough fix, but was wondering if it would be okay to apply some low strength thread locker on these (not the permanent kind). I would imagine it should be okay, and thought maybe one side had this applied from original assembly and the other side was forgotten about or something.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #3,791 of 6,283
Same question re: the set screws which control vertical adjustment on headband:

1669053057491.png

They keep loosening, and the adjustment frequently needs ... adjusting :)

Loctite?

Nov 21, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #3,792 of 6,283
Same question re: the set screws which control vertical adjustment on headband:

They keep loosening, and the adjustment frequently needs ... adjusting :)

Loctite?
Yup. Although the threadlocker you use depends on if it's a Mag or Aluminum chassis.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #3,794 of 6,283

They seem to be pretty much run in after 100 to 150 hours, but I found improvements still came in after that. OK, small and subtle changes, not as major as the changes at say 100 hours; but even though small, I'd say very significant.
I am a bigger believer in user break in than headphone break in , but the Atrium does sound better after owning it for a couple of months ... of course I just changed the pads.

Pads matter, a lot. Are you using the recommended configuration?

Mine I think are Universe pads, with the strip that makes a circle inside? The Verite and the Be2 are flat and fat, and the Atrium and Eikon are skinnier and deeper? U's are a median?

Really need to mark these I get them all mixed up. I don't care what they're called except if I want to order replacements.

Nov 22, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #3,795 of 6,283
... Mine I think are Universe pads, with the strip that makes a circle inside? The Verite and the Be2 are flat and fat, and the Atrium and Eikon are skinnier and deeper? U's are a median? ...
So, leather on the outside and inside, with a suede ring touching the side of your head/face? Those are some Hybrid pads -- could be Auteur or Universe hybrids, so you'll need to measure them to tell which, although the differences are so small that I think you'll struggle. There are also differences in the perforation patterns, which might help.

BTW, there are no 'Atrium' pads. 'Stock' pads for Atrium are the Universe -- you're probably referring to the Auteur pads.
...Really need to mark these I get them all mixed up. I don't care what they're called except if I want to order replacements.
I now have labeled plastic bags to put each set in when I swap pads.

Definitely one of the biggest pet peeves re: ZMF stuff -- lots of folks complaining about 'no labelling' or asking 'which is which'. Zach has responded that there's no simple way to fix the problem without affecting the sound of the pads.

Exact dimensions of all the pads are listed on the pad pages on ZMF shopping page for pads. You can use that info to identify your pads in a pinch, assuming you can measure very accurately. But in some cases it's pretty tough. Easy to tell Eikon from Auteur -- Eikon ear cavity is 7mm (51mm vs 58mm) narrower. On the other hand, Universe vs Auteur are very close:

Ear cavity: Auteur 75 x 58mm Universe 71 x 56mm
Tallest height: Auteur 25.4mm Universe 25mm
Shortest height: Auteur 19.05mm Universe 20mm

Much easier if you have two sets to compare vs only having one and trying to figure out which measurements are closest.

I think there's an image/chart which lists them all in one place -- sorry to say I couldn't find it here or on the ZMF site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back