ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Aug 21, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #2,551 of 6,230
This may be a stupid question but how does everyone weigh their headphones? I didn't know if a normal bathroom scale would even register with something as light as headphones.
kitchen scale

Aug 21, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #2,553 of 6,230
For the Atrium specifically the MZ2 is my preferred amp. It’s a bit more neutral sounding than my Kenzie amps but that’s why I like it. The Atrium to me is darker sounding and pairs nicely with something close to neutral. That being said it’s not as neutral as most solid state amps. It has a touch of warmth to it and that wonderful holographic stage tubes are known for. It’s very musical and engaging, and enhances the atrium’s strengths while minimizing its weaknesses.

The Kenzie based amps are very good with the Atrium but are on the slower, and more euphonic side, and really double down on the warm dark nature of the Atrium. It was a bit too much of a good thing. I was left craving more speed and air overall, which is what the MZ2 brings.

For my preferences, the MZ2 synergises extremely well with the Atrium. I don’t feel it’s clinical or unengaging at all.
Interesting, I’ve been thinking about this amp.

I know this is a long shot but by any chance has anyone heard the Atrium on both the MZ2 and the Feliks Euforia?

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #2,554 of 6,230
I've been thinking about the MZ3 myself. That and the DNA Stratus. Having an Icon HP8 keeps pretty well satiated, though.

Aug 21, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #2,555 of 6,230
I have had so much fun this weekend listening to the Atrium, Auteur OG and the Classic. At times it feels like a bit too much of a good thing. How do I settle into a cycle to properly understand each and write about them? At some point, I will have to move into a critical listening phase. But, for the next week or two I am going to keep burning them in with each firmly sealed to my ears. My system is playing all three.

That being said, the Atrium is just special. Both Auteur's are wonderful, different, improved, and everything in between. But, I can't shake the feeling that I want an Atrium on my head at all times. It is a wonderfully integrated headphone. I can't get enough of the way it handles the subtleties in my music. I feel like a broken record. If you are on the fence and want a headphone with incredible tonality/timbre and near perfect image specificity, then you need to demo or get an Atrium. Period! And if you have a kick ass tube amp, even better. Although it is absolutely wonderful out of my Cembalo Spring 1 as well. Great amplification is great amplification, and when you have a headphone as proficient as the Atrium it will scale.

Bottom line, the Atrium is one seriously fun and wonderful headphone. Thus far, my favorite cable with the Atrium is my Audio Sensibility Silver Statement that I primarily use for my 4z. Adds a bit of top end resolution and tightens up the bass a smidge.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #2,556 of 6,230
Thanks for all the likes. I am finding the Atrium needs about 20-25 hrs of burn in. We'll see if they keep changing, but if they don't change again I would live a happy life with the way they are sounding. There is just way more integration tonight than 2 days ago. And they sounded amazing 2 days ago. Detail has improved exponentially as they continue to open up.

Aug 22, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #2,557 of 6,230
Thanks for all the likes. I am finding the Atrium needs about 20-25 hrs of burn in. We'll see if they keep changing, but if they don't change again I would live a happy life with the way they are sounding. There is just way more integration tonight than 2 days ago. And they sounded amazing 2 days ago. Detail has improved exponentially as they continue to open up.
You're most likely just getting used to the sound of the headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #2,558 of 6,230
Interesting, I’ve been thinking about this amp.

I know this is a long shot but by any chance has anyone heard the Atrium on both the MZ2 and the Feliks Euforia
I'll have a feliks elise mkii and a mz3 in my possession at the same time... not exactly what you are asking but I can give my noobie comparisons for you.

I wonder what @zach915m thinks of the microzotl amps?

Aug 22, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #2,559 of 6,230
I'll have a feliks elise mkii and a mz3 in my possession at the same time... not exactly what you are asking but I can give my noobie comparisons for you.

I wonder what @zach915m thinks of the microzotl amps?
Please do!

Aug 22, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #2,560 of 6,230
You're most likely just getting used to the sound of the headphones.
Perhaps. Could be just that. I have definitely adjusted to their sound.

Aug 22, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #2,561 of 6,230
I ordered an aged cherry pair through my local reseller at launch, but received it just one week ago. :dizzy_face: ...What a wait, but was totally worth it. All in all, everything with Atrium sounds smooth and right. You can really touch the music through the soundstage and the openess is impressive compared to other ZMF models. It is not the last word in technicalities, but who cares, as the pleasant biocellulose sound really makes up for it.

PXL_20220821_174917630~2.jpg

Aug 22, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #2,562 of 6,230
I’m curious what percentage of ZMF buyers change pads?

Seems like you’d have to buy them all to know which sounded best to any given listener. The complexity of the combinations feels daunting, if you account for pad options, headphone, music genre and mood, as indicated above.

Is there a pad kit that you can request to try before you buy? That would be the best way to know which pads to purchase in addition to the defaults.
At this point I have a drawer full of ZMF pads 😬
I need to put some of these up for sale but it was nice to audition a bunch of them. The differences in material are especially hard to communicate

Aug 22, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #2,563 of 6,230
I have to test some pads with Atrium as well, as I currently own the following perforated options:

- Universe Lambskin
- Universe Suede
- Auteur Lambskin
- Auteur Hybrid
- Be2 Lambskin
- Be2 Hybrid
- Eikon Lambskin

There is something very nice when using Auteur Hybrids with Burson Soloist 3XP. I also happen to have Feliks Audio Euforia 20th Anniversary in my living room waiting to be reviewed before I have to give it back. I cannot wait to test it with Atrium!

Aug 22, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #2,564 of 6,230
So, I went back to the Universe pads. I prefer the sound of the Be2 pads, but the shallowness was pushing my ears right up agains the pad and driver causing major hot spots. Not the pad or headphones fault that I have gigantic ears. The Universe sound sensational and are more comfortable for me.
The universe are definitely the most comfortable to me as well. I do like that they put the thicker sponge-like material inside the BE2 as that makes them much better. I have average ears I think and they touch mine too. I think they knew that was going to be the case for most people since BE2 is so shallow. As a few have said recently, it has taken me at least two tries with each pad with other swaps in between to figure out my favorites. It's funny how going back to a pad can reveal new aspects that I didn't quite pick up on the first go-round. I keep adding another pad type to the rotation and finding new winners. Universe are hard to beat on any of my ZMF's so far, though.

Aug 22, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #2,565 of 6,230
The universe are definitely the most comfortable to me as well. I do like that they put the thicker sponge-like material inside the BE2 as that makes them much better. I have average ears I think and they touch mine too. I think they knew that was going to be the case for most people since BE2 is so shallow. As a few have said recently, it has taken me at least two tries with each pad with other swaps in between to figure out my favorites. It's funny how going back to a pad can reveal new aspects that I didn't quite pick up on the first go-round. I keep adding another pad type to the rotation and finding new winners. Universe are hard to beat on any of my ZMF's so far, though.
I think I have found my preferred combo of pad, cable, and amp with the Atrium. I say I think because I reserve the right to change my mind...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back