ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Aug 20, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #2,521 of 6,230
Been A/Bin the Classic OG and Atrium with this song. Classic and OG out of my Spring 1, Atrium out of my HP8. Good living!

Aug 20, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #2,522 of 6,230
On a Goose kick right now. Another song that is sublime on the Atrium. Vocals, Bass, and Imaging. And of course ripping guitar. Showing my musical hand tonight. Enjoy!

Aug 20, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #2,523 of 6,230
Hi Keith. How are you? I owe you my spring 1. Just back from vacay...

Aug 20, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #2,524 of 6,230
The gentleman who felt like he couldn't see the purple in his headphone was offered a replacement, but he also stated to me he didn't know what stabilized wood was and that he didn't know he was buying stabilized wood. I'd really recommend emailing us before hand, reading the product page, and then also emailing us if there's anything your unsatisfied with before coming on here to poll the public.
Hi there 👋🏻

I think you meant “could” see purple. Not understanding the usage of the word “felt” when the word purple was inscribed on the owner’s card. Thankfully the headphones have been adopted by a new loving owner and all is well.

I also did not state that I didn’t know what stabilized wood “was”, by definition, more so that the product description led me to believe that some, not all, of the Hot Cups were stabilized. Upon reading it again, I can see how it could be interpreted both ways. A higher resolution photo (with more realistic lighting…yes I know, beating a dead horse here) would’ve been worth a thousand words on the product page.

Lastly, as I expressed to you in our email exchange, the limited drops do not leave enough time to email support, wait for answers, etc. before placing an order…unless by some chance the color you wanted was not snatched up in the first minutes of the sale. There are better ways to handle this and I’m confident ZMF will get there as their small business growing pains settle. 👍🏻

Aug 20, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #2,525 of 6,230
Hi there 👋🏻

I think you meant “could” see purple. Not understanding the usage of the word “felt” when the word purple was inscribed on the owner’s card. Thankfully the headphones have been adopted by a new loving owner and all is well.

I also did not state that I didn’t know what stabilized wood “was”, by definition, more so that the product description led me to believe that some, not all, of the Hot Cups were stabilized. Upon reading it again, I can see how it could be interpreted both ways. A higher resolution photo (with more realistic lighting…yes I know, beating a dead horse here) would’ve been worth a thousand words on the product page.

Lastly, as I expressed to you in our email exchange, the limited drops do not leave enough time to email support, wait for answers, etc. before placing an order…unless by some chance the color you wanted was not snatched up in the first minutes of the sale. There are better ways to handle this and I’m confident ZMF will get there as their small business growing pains settle. 👍🏻
I’m already ready for Zmf November for the next stabilized drop

Aug 21, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #2,526 of 6,230
Amazing that ZMF has created an industry of headphone modding through pad changing. The changes are not small from pad to pad and that is fun. In my opinion the pads make an exponentially bigger difference to the sound than the wood type. Buy the wood you find most aesthetically pleasing. Not that I am an expert...:)
The pads we suggest for each headphone are generally the same earside volume adjusted for the distance from the driver, just meaning that, depending on your anatomy you hypothetically may hear the same thing someone else hears from the universe with the Be2 and vice versa. While using HATS and other measurement devices are awesome to show the typical changes between pads, it's impossible to show the changes between specific listeners due to anatomy.

So anyways, I do believe alternate pads are important anatomically, and also just because we all have mood and listening preference changes.

I do agree though, it's not that the wood doesn't make a difference, but since the headphones are all tuned to the same response, it's not going to make or break a headphone.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 21, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #2,527 of 6,230
I keep going back and forth between the universe lambskin and the Be2 suede. I really like the suede a lot. It really brings out the mids and to me has more bass. Drum hits are hard hitting, electric guitars are very lively, and vocals are forward and romantic. They sound more intimate than the universe but definitely not congested.
Has anyone tried the Eikon Suede Perfs on the Atrium? Auteur Lambskins?

Aug 21, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #2,528 of 6,230
The pads we suggest for each headphone are generally the same earside volume adjusted for the distance from the driver, just meaning that, depending on your anatomy you hypothetically may hear the same thing someone else hears from the universe with the Be2 and vice versa. While using HATS and other measurement devices are awesome to show the typical changes between pads, it's impossible to show the changes between specific listeners due to anatomy.

So anyways, I do believe alternate pads are important anatomically, and also just because we all have mood and listening preference changes.

I do agree though, it's not that the wood doesn't make a difference, but since the headphones are all tuned to the same response, it not going to make or break a headphone.
Makes sense. I have always bought more on which wood I like versus what Janka rating it has. I know some hear differences; I have never heard differences based on wood variation enough to sway me one way or another. YMMV... But, I do hear significant differences with the pads. And you are correct, subjectively we all hear differently on top of having different noggins. Plus, we all like a bit of different tunings.

Aug 21, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #2,529 of 6,230
Amazing that ZMF has created an industry of headphone modding through pad changing. The changes are not small from pad to pad and that is fun. In my opinion the pads make an exponentially bigger difference to the sound than the wood type. Buy the wood you find most aesthetically pleasing. Not that I am an expert...:)
It is a very unique option with being able to shape the sound to whatever preference we like best. I don't know of any other headphone company that does it especially to the degree that ZMF does. Yes pad rolling definitely plays a bigger part in the sound than wood type. However, I have had an aged cherry Atrium and now have a stabilized maple Atrium and the sound is slightly different. I was curious about what I was hearing so I emailed Zach to discuss it and he hit the nail on the head when he said it probably has a more firm and substantial sound. He is right. It seems as If it has quicker decay and the notes don't linger as long as the aged cherry Atrium. The aged cherry Atrium was burnt in and the stabilized Atrium isn't so I am curious to see how much it changes over time. As of right now it does sound different. The difference is almost like changing a pad would do. Both Atriums I had sound awesome so I don't think wood type makes a huge difference at all but to my ears there is a slight difference. I'll be able to speak more on this after they are fully burnt in.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #2,530 of 6,230
Has anyone tried the Eikon Suede Perfs on the Atrium? Auteur Lambskins?
I have tried the Auteur lambskin. I prefer universe and Be2 suede. Auteur lambskin is my favorite on VC though. I have found out that pad rolling is definitely different on each ZMF headphone.

Aug 21, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #2,531 of 6,230
It is a very unique option with being able to shape the sound to whatever preference we like best. I don't know of any other headphone company that does it especially to the degree that ZMF does. Yes pad rolling definitely plays a bigger part in the sound than wood type. However, I have had an aged cherry Atrium and now have a stabilized maple Atrium and the sound is slightly different. I was curious about what I was hearing so I emailed Zach to discuss it and he hit the nail on the head when he said it probably has a more firm and substantial sound. He is right. It seems as If it has quicker decay and the notes don't linger as long as the aged cherry Atrium. The aged cherry Atrium was burnt in and the stabilized Atrium isn't so I am curious to see how much it changes over time. As of right now it does sound different. The difference is almost like changing a pad would do.
I can see how that would make sense. Cherry tends to be pretty soft, so I can imagine there would be additional reverb or resonance which makes the sound bounce or dissipate at a slightly different rate. Almost like the softer the wood, the more it takes in the sound before sending it back out. I am spit balling, would love to say I can say this authoritatively, but I cannot. I know that when I see a show at Red Rocks, the sound reverberates off the rocks, coupled with the swirling wind it sounds different than at other venues. You can almost feel the sound hitting the rocks and redirecting back into the venue.

Aug 21, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #2,532 of 6,230
Songs that sound amazing on the Atrium ( and Auteur Classic) Retro Soul edition.

As I sit here and fail miserably at critical listening, trying to piece together my thoughts for my next video, the Atrium and Auteur Classic keep sucking me into the music, which I suppose is exactly what a great headphone should do. While not getting too much done on the critical level, I'm spending this saturday evening digging on some old school retro soul stuff.

The Atrium damping flexing on these tunes.

And just to keep my Street Cred from slippin'....

Aug 21, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #2,533 of 6,230
I can see how that would make sense. Cherry tends to be pretty soft, so I can imagine there would be additional reverb or resonance which makes the sound bounce or dissipate at a slightly different rate. Almost like the softer the wood, the more it takes in the sound before sending it back out. I am spit balling, would love to say I can say this authoritatively, but I cannot. I know that when I see a show at Red Rocks, the sound reverberates off the rocks, coupled with the swirling wind it sounds different than at other venues. You can almost feel the sound hitting the rocks and redirecting back into the venue.
That is exactly what I thought of it! Great minds think alike! 😆

Aug 21, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #2,534 of 6,230
Songs that sound amazing on the Atrium ( and Auteur Classic) Retro Soul edition.

As I sit here and fail miserably at critical listening, trying to piece together my thoughts for my next video, the Atrium and Auteur Classic keep sucking me into the music, which I suppose is exactly what a great headphone should do. While not getting too much done on the critical level, I'm spending this saturday evening digging on some old school retro soul stuff.

The Atrium damping flexing on these tunes.

And just to keep my Street Cred from slippin'....

Sounds like a fun night of listening. All great stuff!

Aug 21, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #2,535 of 6,230
I’m curious what percentage of ZMF buyers change pads?

Seems like you’d have to buy them all to know which sounded best to any given listener. The complexity of the combinations feels daunting, if you account for pad options, headphone, music genre and mood, as indicated above.

Is there a pad kit that you can request to try before you buy? That would be the best way to know which pads to purchase in addition to the defaults.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back