ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Aug 20, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #2,506 of 6,230
So, I went back to the Universe pads. I prefer the sound of the Be2 pads, but the shallowness was pushing my ears right up agains the pad and driver causing major hot spots. Not the pad or headphones fault that I have gigantic ears. The Universe sound sensational and are more comfortable for me.

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #2,507 of 6,230
So, I went back to the Universe pads. I prefer the sound of the Be2 pads, but the shallowness was pushing my ears right up agains the pad and driver causing major hot spots. Not the pad or headphones fault that I have gigantic ears. The Universe sound sensational and are more comfortable for me.
Have you tried bending the headband to make it a little wider so the Be2 pads don't press so hard?

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #2,508 of 6,230
Just got my Atrium in cocobolo today. Almost thought I got a different headphone as it looks completely different than the one on the site and really different from the photos of others here. The photos above my post looks like the cocobolo I thought I was getting and I made no requests as to how I wanted it as I thought it would generally look like the one on the site. Strangley enough it looks like the cocobolo ends and a different wood makes up for it at the lower rear. Hmm... it's a neat look though.

Anyone any thoughts?
GORGEOUS!

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #2,509 of 6,230
Have you tried bending the headband to make it a little wider so the Be2 pads don't press so hard?
I haven't. That scares me, but I will watch the video for how to properly do that.

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #2,510 of 6,230
If the Be2 pads need a touch more space for your ears, some paracord or thin rope under the pad foam but over the driver cover can give the ears a little more space.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 20, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #2,511 of 6,230
Guys - all these headphones are made from pure cocobolo. We have always allowed anyone to write in with wood preferences if they want and we always try to follow them, but these are not custom headphones. Let me repeat this, these headphones are made one at a time, with premium solid wood that we have on hand, but they should not be considered custom, meaning if you get it, and you didn't ask for something specific, we simply cannot accommodate requests to remake every headphone that doesn't suit your personal preferences. If you need something specific you need to write it before we go through the effort of making a headphone from scratch and not after you get it in hand. This is not our responsibility. I will copy and paste what is written on our cocobolo page below, and we have other info about the variance of wood written on our site.

The gentleman who felt like he couldn't see the purple in his headphone was offered a replacement, but he also stated to me he didn't know what stabilized wood was and that he didn't know he was buying stabilized wood. I'd really recommend emailing us before hand, reading the product page, and then also emailing us if there's anything your unsatisfied with before coming on here to poll the public.

Lastly, if you need something super specific until we do offer custom headphones for a higher price, I would recommend waiting for our semi regular releases where we picture each headphone one by one, stabilized and other variants.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation!

From the cocobolo page: This batch of Cocobolo is sustainably harvested to promote the continuance of beautiful species of wood like Cocobolo. Predominantly this batch of wood is brick red, with some sets that are darker and lighter, as natural variance is normal within Cocobolo. We finish these with a gloss lacquer to highlight the depth of color that Cocobolo possesses.
Sorry you felt the need to write that zach. From your like, it seems you are aware that it only took me few minutes to correct myself as it has been a month since I last looked at your site.

Speaking of a month, that's how long it took to order and get both my auteur classic and atrium, a new record! Also I will keep in mind about making a "super specific request for a higher price" line as I did not know you could do that.

For everyone else, I listened to them and even though I have not burned them in yet, I can confirm for myself that the effects of the wood matter the same as it has in the past. Still subtle mind you but as immediately noticable to me like in past comparisons I made between other zmfs I've had. In fact I'm reminded specifically of my verite pheasantwood and verite blackwood comparison.

The Koa Atrium actually has a slightly bigger soundstage with noticably more air. Cocobolo is a bit more romantic, hits a little harder, and has some air sucked out, notes are a touch denser. This is wonderful news to me because the effects get me closer to the effects I love about my blackwoods. I thought with the new dampening system, effects from different types of wood might be compromised which is something I was willing to live with, but I really like the blackwoods warm dampened, quick, punchy, holographic effects. I still have every model in blackwood, and will keep a sharp lookout for if an atrium blackwood were to ever come out.

Either way, new customers of either of these atriums will be quite impressed with what there gonna hear.

Attachments

• 20220820_204707.jpg
    20220820_204707.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Aug 20, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #2,512 of 6,230
I haven't. That scares me, but I will watch the video for how to properly do that.
if the pads are too shallow, headband level adjustment may not solve it. personally, i'd just use the pads that are more comfortable..

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #2,513 of 6,230
If the Be2 pads need a touch more space for your ears, some paracord or thin rope under the pad foam but over the driver cover can give the ears a little more space.
Thanks Zach. Will give it a shot. Having a blast! The Atriums sound fantastic on both amps. They keep getting better as they burn in.

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #2,514 of 6,230
if the pads are too shallow, headband level adjustment may not solve it. personally, i'd just use the pads that are more comfortable..
I am on that current path. The Universe are really comfortable for me and sound great. Getting gobsmacked currently.

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #2,515 of 6,230
I am on that current path. The Universe are really comfortable for me and sound great. Getting gobsmacked currently.

just did a small write up (few posts back) on my own pad journey and landed on the Universe stock as my preferred. They are great :)

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #2,516 of 6,230
I had to bend my Vc to make it tighter and it didn't cause any problems. It bends back if you don't like it. Just do a little at a time. To me it would seem like less clamp force would help with your ears touching the driver because they wouldn't be as tight on your head. Just my opinion though.

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #2,517 of 6,230
just did a small write up (few posts back) on my own pad journey and landed on the Universe stock as my preferred. They are great :)
Just read it. Appreciate the impressions and time put into your thoughts.

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #2,518 of 6,230
I keep going back and forth between the universe lambskin and the Be2 suede. I really like the suede a lot. It really brings out the mids and to me has more bass. Drum hits are hard hitting, electric guitars are very lively, and vocals are forward and romantic. They sound more intimate than the universe but definitely not congested.

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #2,519 of 6,230
I keep going back and forth between the universe lambskin and the Be2 suede. I really like the suede a lot. It really brings out the mids and to me has more bass. Drum hits are hard hitting, electric guitars are very lively, and vocals are forward and romantic. They sound more intimate than the universe but definitely not congested.
Amazing that ZMF has created an industry of headphone modding through pad changing. The changes are not small from pad to pad and that is fun. In my opinion the pads make an exponentially bigger difference to the sound than the wood type. Buy the wood you find most aesthetically pleasing. Not that I am an expert...:)

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #2,520 of 6,230

yes, I can definitely see how the BE2 will be more airy rather than congested. Bass perception my end was different. Different ears and all... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back