ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Aug 22, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #2,566 of 6,230
Coco-babe-lo has just landed!

20220822_122018.jpg
My first ZMF. Too early for me to review fully. Lots of pads to get through too. But first impressions... I've clearly never properly experienced depth of soundstage until today. I've also heard things sound like they travel further into the distance than I've ever heard, and I own the Arya V2. I mean it when I say the stage is massive on these. Above all stunning, full timbre. No harshness whatsoever! I'm getting ready to sell a lot of stuff now because this almost has it all.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #2,567 of 6,230
Coco-babe-lo has just landed!

My first ZMF. Too early for me to review fully. Lots of pads to get through too. But first impressions... I've clearly never properly experienced depth of soundstage until today. I've also heard things sound like they travel further into the distance than I've ever heard, and I own the Arya V2 I mean it when I say the stage is massive on these. Above all stunning, full timbre. No harshness whatsoever! I'm getting ready to sell a lot of stuff now because this almost has it all.
I love the blonde streak on these! To me that looks better than the pic on the website! The Atrium is a seriously enjoyable listen. I am getting to rediscover them all over again now. I had a aged cherry Atrium that was burnt in and I traded it for a stabilized maple Atrium that was brand new. The two Atrium's have a slightly different tonality partly because of much harder wood on the stabilized and them not being burnt in. They are such a joy to listen to especially on my wa22! Have you tried any pad rolling? Also just curious what amp are you using? I have had the Arya V2 and to me the Atrium's soundstage is much more realistic across all genres. The Arya v2 was a bit exaggerated. I didn't like having that huge soundstage on many tracks. You have a wonderful headphone and welcome to the ZMF family! You might get hooked like me! Lol

Aug 22, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #2,568 of 6,230
I love the blonde streak on these! To me that looks better than the pic on the website! The Atrium is a seriously enjoyable listen. I am getting to rediscover them all over again now. I had a aged cherry Atrium that was burnt in and I traded it for a stabilized maple Atrium that was brand new. The two Atrium's have a slightly different tonality partly because of much harder wood on the stabilized and them not being burnt in. They are such a joy to listen to especially on my wa22! Have you tried any pad rolling? Also just curious what amp are you using? I have had the Arya V2 and to me the Atrium's soundstage is much more realistic across all genres. The Arya v2 was a bit exaggerated. I didn't like having that huge soundstage on many tracks. You have a wonderful headphone and welcome to the ZMF family! You might get hooked like me! Lol
I agree, that is a gorgeous headphone. The blonde wood just gives it a bit of panache. The copper looks incredible as well.

How many hrs do you feel it needs for burn in? I am finding changes in overall cohesion and separation at 20-25 hrs. Could be placebo, but I swear the headphone has changed a bit.

Aug 22, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #2,569 of 6,230
I agree, that is a gorgeous headphone. The blonde wood just gives it a bit of panache. The copper looks incredible as well.

How many hrs do you feel it needs for burn in? I am finding changes in overall cohesion and separation at 20-25 hrs. Could be placebo, but I swear the headphone has changed a bit.
I also got a pair with the blonde streak, it looks excellent.

It’s taken me about the same amount of time to start understanding their sound signature a bit more. Then again, I’m coming from the VC’s which are a bit more resolving. Atriums have incredible sound stage and are an excellent compliment to the VC’s.

406ABDE5-9D28-4BE7-B170-DCC38B1ADD32.jpeg

Aug 22, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #2,570 of 6,230

It’s taken me about the same amount of time to start understanding their sound signature a bit more. Then again, I’m coming from the VC’s which are a bit more resolving. Atriums have incredible sound stage and are an excellent compliment to the VC’s.

Wow these coco sets with the blonde streak and black chassis are stunning! With each new Atrium drop there are sets I find myself drooling over.

Aug 22, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #2,571 of 6,230

gorgeous headphones, questionable decor in the background 🤔

Aug 22, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #2,573 of 6,230

I found the major changes were (edit) done after the 1st 20-30 hours or so, and the sound signature solidified after 100 give or take. YMMV of course.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #2,574 of 6,230

I agree that the Atrium isn't the most resolving headphone, although it is improving with time. However, there are other attributes that are top of the class and make it an outstanding headphone that is eminently musical with pinpoint imaging.

Aug 22, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #2,575 of 6,230
I found the major changes were after the 1st 20-30 hours or so, and the sound signature solidified after 100 give or take. YMMV of course.
Appreciate this. Thank you!

Aug 22, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #2,577 of 6,230
Aug 22, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #2,580 of 6,230

I honestly couldn't say because I bought my aged cherry Atrium used and it was already burnt in and i bought my stabilized Atrium off of a guy that had them for 2 days. My stabilized Atrium probably has close to 20 hours on it now and I can't tell if it's changed or my ears are just getting used to this new Atrium. I do feel its loosening up some and smoothing out more. One of the differences with the aged cherry Atrium and my stabilized Atrium was the stabilized being more firm and direct with the sound. As I said earlier I could hear a difference with my stabilized Atrium compared to the aged cherry Atrium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back