ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Jul 20, 2022 at 6:07 AM Post #1,861 of 6,231
9CA61BB3-C381-4E4B-A1B4-6B180FBCCE8D.jpeg

Mine finally arrived! Sounds as good as I remember. I’m trying it with my marantz CD94 I got recently, vintage R2R CD player with a NOS mod. So much space and timbre 🤤

Good CD player!

I have a modified Marantz CD65, done by a guy who sells on Ebay UK; he upgrades vintage Marantz R2R players with various capacitors in the digital section, converts to NOS, and adds a full valve output stage. It's all done well and is very good value. I have no connection to the seller, I'm just a customer.
The result is exceptional. The space and timbre you mention; superb tonality, highly musical, a solid purposeful sound (c.f. bitstream), and it rocks. I love it! It is in my main (speaker) system; headphone system uses Aqua La Scala which is better, but not by much, I love both.

It may not be possible or practical, but if the guy or another expert could fit your player with a valve output stage I'm sure you'd love it.

Jul 20, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #1,862 of 6,231
Thank you Zach, Bevin and the ZMF team! I received my Atrium in perfect condition. They get to hang around with my other two ZMF headphones when they're not on my head. :beyersmile:

20220720_125759.jpg

Jul 20, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #1,864 of 6,231
Thank you Zach, Bevin and the ZMF team! I received my Atrium in perfect condition. They get to hang around with my other two ZMF headphones when they're not on my head. :beyersmile:

20220720_125759.jpg
Looks great!

Jul 20, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #1,865 of 6,231
Is there someone that heard the hard wood Bubinga and soft wood cherry/KOA Atrium side by side ?
Do they sound different from each other ?

I know the driver of the Atrium is not affected by the wood like the Verite is. I just want to evaluate if I would like the hard wood cocobolo Atrium, it looks mesmerizing.

Jul 20, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #1,866 of 6,231
Is there someone that heard the hard wood Bubinga and soft wood cherry/KOA Atrium side by side ?

I know the driver of the Atrium is not affected by the wood like the Verite is. I just want to evaluate if I would like the hard wood cocobolo Atrium, it looks mesmerizing.
Not heard both, but I own the LTD Bubinga and love it. I don't hear any "wood" influence, as they're very open and ported.

@zach915m has mentioned that the wood (at least his) does not influence the sound profile. YMMV.

Jul 20, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #1,867 of 6,231
I've yet to like any of the perforated pads on the VC or any of their closed models and vice versa for closed pads on open model. The solid suede Universe are my favorites on the VC and the perforated on the Aeolus and tied for me with the Auteur suedes on the Atrium.
I haven't tried any suede pads with my VC, just the stock Auteur and BE2. I'll order a pair and give them a shot. The perforated suede Universe are my favorite for the Aeolus as well.

Jul 20, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #1,868 of 6,231

20220720_125759.jpg
Wow! Beautiful. Glad to hear they're in perfect condition.

Jul 20, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #1,869 of 6,231
Not heard both, but I own the LTD Bubinga and love it. I don't hear any "wood" influence, as they're very open and ported.

@zach915m has mentioned that the wood (at least his) does not influence the sound profile. YMMV.
Well the choice of wood affects the presentation of the Aeolus and Verite quite a lot. Frequency response is not affected by the wood.

The KOA Atrium barely shows any wood reverbs. A little bit more reverbs shine through with the Auteur pads but not overly pronounced like in Aeolus or Verite.

Cocobolo wood is very tempting...😩

Jul 20, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #1,870 of 6,231
I have always patiently chose my ZMF's based on the visual appeal of the wood. On their website you'll even find this quote:

"Typically, we recommend you choose the wood you find the most aesthetically pleasing, as wood choice won't have a large enough effect on the headphones sound to make you like or dislike the headphone."

Jul 20, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #1,871 of 6,231

Soon... I think. 😉

Jul 20, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #1,872 of 6,231
I have always patiently chose my ZMF's based on the visual appeal of the wood. On their website you'll even find this quote:

"Typically, we recommend you choose the wood you find the most aesthetically pleasing, as wood choice won't have a large enough effect on the headphones sound to make you like or dislike the headphone."
I wish I would have peace of mind. Sadly I'm crazy picky for my Zmf headphones. There is always a new wood or temping headphone....

Soon... I think. 😉
Did you order the cocobolo Atrium ?

Jul 20, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #1,873 of 6,231
Did you order the cocobolo Atrium ?
No, although I was very tempted as I LOVE Cocobolo!

It was pretty much like Sophie's Choice, but even more serious. 🤣

Jul 20, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #1,875 of 6,231

Users who are viewing this thread

Back