ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Jul 14, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #1,696 of 6,518
I appreciate the thoughts don't worry though all this stuff is what keeps me up at night and I'm always striving to make things better for everyone who tries a ZMF. 😁
I know it does. You guys do a great job and you can see the changes as you make them.
I don't see the problem. The resin/stabilized models are extremely limited runs. It's not like they are going away from natural wood or anything. Both cocobolo and ebony wood are incoming.
How about embroidered wooden doll figures living in the earcup?

Jul 14, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #1,697 of 6,518
They’re a great match IMO. I used my Atrium primarily with the Euterpe for a bit. The mids sound incredible, euphonic, and the Euterpe tames the treble of the Atrium a bit as well (which I prefer). One downside, Euterpe rolls off the sub-bass, which is not my preference, so I add a bit of EQ to raise it back up a bit (in Roon, just below 80-100hz).
Please give me the value of eq. I'd appreciate it if you could tell me.

Jul 14, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #1,698 of 6,518
Please give me the value of eq. I'd appreciate it if you could tell me.
Sure! I add a low end shelf of +2db, and a q value of 0.7, at 100hz.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #1,700 of 6,518
Welp, the Euforia arrived today, and it is indeed a match made in heaven for the Atriums. Amazing clarity, soundstage and holographic-ness. Surprised how much better it sounds than the Elise (might be the much better tubes).

Jul 14, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #1,701 of 6,518
Sure! I add a low end shelf of +2db, and a q value of 0.7, at 100hz.
I have a virtually identical setting, 105 Hz, .71Q, +3 dB (I'm a basshead).

Jul 14, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #1,702 of 6,518
Euforia is an absolute beauty with ZMF headphones! Love it with both of mine :) Congrats on the new amp. Now, next step, you need those NOS tubes. MASSIVE upgrades to be had there as well!

Jul 14, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #1,703 of 6,518
Euforia is an absolute beauty with ZMF headphones! Love it with both of mine :) Congrats on the new amp. Now, next step, you need those NOS tubes. MASSIVE upgrades to be had there as well!
It makes me realize how source-dependent the Atriums are. I liked them with the Elise (with NOS tubes that weren’t great) and the Gs-x mini, but wasn’t quite as enamoured as some on the thread. Now I get it — with the right amplification they are pure magic.

Jul 14, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #1,704 of 6,518
It makes me realize how source-dependent the Atriums are. I liked them with the Elise (with NOS tubes that weren’t great) and the Gs-x mini, but wasn’t quite as enamoured as some on the thread. Now I get it — with the right amplification they are pure magic.
Totally agree. With the wrong chain they're good but nothing special, but with the right one they're magic. Honestly I find that to be the case with all ZMFs. Finding the right chain was critical to my enjoyment. For me personally the amp is the make or break component, and deserves special consideration.

Jul 14, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #1,705 of 6,518
Totally agree. With the wrong chain they're good but nothing special, but with the right one they're magic. Honestly I find that to be the case with all ZMFs. Finding the right chain was critical to my enjoyment. For me personally the amp is the make or break component, and deserves special consideration.
How much of an upgrade is the Euforia over the Echo?

Jul 14, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #1,707 of 6,518
Welp, the Euforia arrived today, and it is indeed a match made in heaven for the Atriums. Amazing clarity, soundstage and holographic-ness. Surprised how much better it sounds than the Elise (might be the much better tubes).

Congrat for your new amp. I haven't heard Atrium with Euforia.. but Euforia was one of the nicest tone amps I've ever evaluated. Can easily imagine how it can get along with Atrium as well.

Jul 14, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #1,708 of 6,518
All cherry has resin marks, grain aberrations, knots, etc etc. In fact most of the wood we use has it and most wood has natural characteristics like this. We only use all solid wood so there will be no avoiding having these natural characteristics in your wood. These marks are also what makes much of the stabilized wood so desirable, but that wood just has much much more of them.

I understand that wood can have different patterns and marks. It is normal and gorgeus… but… in the photo which one of the users droped here few posts back ( @mvneufeld ) , for me it is too much for the permissible differences. this looks more like a quality control problem or defect to me. This is somewhat disturbing, especially with the amounts of money that I find astronomical. I never hit the blind buy with headphones and I would never suspect myself of doing that in such price point. The atrium was supposed to be my first purchase of this type, but after what I saw in the photo, I started to be a bit afraid of it and I think I will just give up.

Nevertheless, I admire Your art Zach, because nobody makes such beautyful Headphone like You do :)

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #1,709 of 6,518
I understand that wood can have different patterns and marks. It is normal and gorgeus… but… in the photo which one of the users droped here few posts back (@mvneufed) , for me it is too much for the permissible differences. this looks more like a quality control problem or defect to me. This is somewhat disturbing, especially with the amounts of money that I find astronomical. I never hit the blind buy with headphones and I would never suspect myself of doing that in such price point. The atrium was supposed to be my first purchase of this type, but after what I saw in the photo, I started to be a bit afraid of it and I think I will just give up.

Nevertheless, I admire Your art Zach, because nobody makes such beautyful Headphone like You do :)

We try to provide a plethora of options for potential owners, if knowing exactly what you're getting is important to you, stabilized and LTD releases like the one this Sunday is the way to go.

If you want a special wood with a certain look, the LTD Cocobolo is an amazing option.

If you want the same sound for the best price and a return option, the stock wood is the way to go.

You also have the option to leave a note at checkout for any of these that days something like "I am very concerned that my headphone might have a knot on it and I don't want one," and then we will spend special attention to picking wood without a knot on it for you because we build each and every one of these from scratch.

That's the kind of quality you can expect from ZMF.

Unfortunately @mvneufeld bought a stock wood in the aged finish, and left no such comment for us letting us know of his sensitivities, and then we offered to examine his headphone for no cost to him with us paying shipping both ways before he posted on this thread. He then used a stain marker on the headphone to try to cover up the natural wood characteristic and also posted a picture on here with bad lighting of a macro shot of the headphone.

Nonetheless we are replacing his headphone free of charge and will eat the cost to repair the one with the stain marker on it, because your guys satisfaction is what matters.

Hope this helps! Please do watch our QC video as well:

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 14, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #1,710 of 6,518
We try to provide a plethora of options for potential owners, if knowing exactly what you're getting is important to you, stabilized and LTD releases like the one this Sunday is the way to go.

If you want a special wood with a certain look, the LTD Cocobolo is an amazing option.

If you want the same sound for the best price and a return option, the stock wood is the way to go.

You also have the option to leave a note at checkout for any of these that days something like "I am very concerned that my headphone might have a knot on it and I don't want one," and then we will spend special attention to picking wood without a knot on it for you because we build each and every one of these from scratch.

That's the kind of quality you can expect from ZMF.

Unfortunately @mvneufeld bought a stock wood in the aged finish, and left no such comment for us letting us know of his sensitivities, and then we offered to examine his headphone for no cost to him with us paying shipping both ways before he posted on this thread. He then used a stain marker on the headphone to try to cover up the natural wood characteristic and also posted a picture on here with bad lighting of a macro shot of the headphone.

Nonetheless we are replacing his headphone free of charge and will eat the cost to repair the one with the stain marker on it, because your guys satisfaction is what matters.

Hope this helps! Please do watch our QC video as well:

Wow… yes, it helps a lot :) outstanding customers service :wink: you have cleared all my doubts. Really appreciate Your comment. I needed that. Keep up the good work!

Thank You :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back