ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Jul 13, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #1,682 of 6,518
Are atrium and euterpe a good match? I don't know. I'd like to hear opinions from users.
I can share that Atrium and Auris Nirvana are very good match. It’s not the same amp, but same brand and likely share similar house sound. Only heard good things about it.

Jul 13, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #1,683 of 6,518
Are atrium and euterpe a good match? I don't know. I'd like to hear opinions from users.
They’re a great match IMO. I used my Atrium primarily with the Euterpe for a bit. The mids sound incredible, euphonic, and the Euterpe tames the treble of the Atrium a bit as well (which I prefer). One downside, Euterpe rolls off the sub-bass, which is not my preference, so I add a bit of EQ to raise it back up a bit (in Roon, just below 80-100hz).

Jul 13, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #1,684 of 6,518
I was watching this video last night. William really likes the Atrium. One thing he was gushing about was the soundstage, which he says is one of the widest and deepest he’s heard. I personally find the soundstage on Atrium to be good but not amazing. Maybe I’m listening to the wrong tracks? Any suggested tracks to show off the soundstage are welcome.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #1,685 of 6,518
Personally one of the easiest to test soundstage (along with bass, speed, and separation) with enjoyable song is from Dali CD2, Safri Duo - Samb Adagio.

Soundstage can only stretch as wide as the recording allowed. So, really recording dependent.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #1,686 of 6,518
I was watching this video last night. William really likes the Atrium. One thing he was gushing about was the soundstage, which he says is one of the widest and deepest he’s heard. I personally find the soundstage on Atrium to be good but not amazing. Maybe I’m listening to the wrong tracks? Any suggested tracks to show off the soundstage are welcome.

What pads are you using?

I found the staging presentation between the Universe and Auteur pads quite different.

Jul 13, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #1,688 of 6,518
For me the Auteur lambskin sound the widest, but it may vary from person to person

Jul 13, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #1,689 of 6,518
For me the Auteur lambskin sound the widest, but it may vary from person to person
Universe. Which did you find wider?
I find the Universe wider, but the Auteur pads with added height and more encompassing.

Like Monster said, which mirrors what I've heard from quite a few other listeners, the differences people perceive between the Uni vs Auteur pads seems to vary greatly.

Also of course, your gear chain can affect how staging. For example my Liquid Gold has an very wide staging, which sometimes is a plus or minus depending on which headphone you're listening to.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #1,691 of 6,518
I also found Auteur pads rendered larger soundstage and felt more distant. And I believe this is because Auteur pads are deeper and more angled -- which cause to align my ears slightly off-axis and more distant to the driver centers. Using the analogy of 2ch speakers, universe pads are more like aggressive toe-in while auteur pads feel like mild or slight toe-in.

Jul 13, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #1,692 of 6,518
At least of the suedes I use, I too find the Auteur ones wider and more spacey/airy than the Universe but overall enjoy them equally.

Jul 13, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #1,693 of 6,518
Yeah I think you're right! I just wrote this on the product page for cherry:
1657657057895.png

I also know that not everyone reads it, but I would recommend reading our terms and conditions when checking out, some people may not like them, but these terms are what enables us to stay in business and keep making headphones, we don't let anyone make a purchase without agreeing to them:

1657657159476.png

The link on the terms and condition brings you to a page where the second FAQ down is:

The wood on my headphones doesn't look like it did on the site!?
Wood being a natural product, comes in many colors, textures, densities, and varieties. There is a large amount of variation within the same species and even the same board. We try to picture the product which best represents the whole batch, but deviations should always be expected.

Every headphone is hand matched by grain direction, color, cut and pore size.

A finishes general luster is determined by the type of product employed. The oil content of the wood determines which product/method is used. Rest assured we've done the leg work to determine the best match for each varietal, and nothing goes out the door we aren't confident in meeting the ZMF standard of beauty, longevity and acoustic quality.

I know it's a lot, but I would also recommend reading the Wood webpage on our site. Where we go into even more detail on wood:

https://www.zmfheadphones.com/wood

An excerpt:

What will it look like? Will it look like the pictures on the site?

Regardless of the headphone ordered, all of our products are made from solid wood without laminates or veneer. No two pieces of wood are the same and you should expect variance from the pictures you have seen both on the website and from other ZMF owners on forums. ZMF may use stains, colorants, or leave the wood natural based on our expertise and sensibilities and we cannot customize this upon request.

Over time the wood used in your ZMF will change and may darken or change appearance over time. You may experience changes with exposure to heat, cold, dampness, dryness and a myriad of other possible conditions. Additionally, wood species will show defining characteristics that are innate to each type, cut and piece of wood. Mineral deposits, streaks, holes, knots, sap runs, wormholes and other characteristics are normal and can be expected. These markings are part of what makes your ZMF, and each piece of wood beautiful and unique.

We try to capture in image the most median set as it relates to quality, beauty, and natural markings of each wood species.

I know this is a ton of reading, and that we have a lot of info on our website. We make a complicated product from a natural medium and do our best to communicate, but I totally agree, moar is always better!
Thank You Zach. One question. Do aged cherry wood may still have those wierd marks?

Jul 13, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #1,694 of 6,518
Thank You Zach. One question. Do aged cherry wood may still have those wierd marks?
All cherry has resin marks, grain aberrations, knots, etc etc. In fact most of the wood we use has it and most wood has natural characteristics like this. We only use all solid wood so there will be no avoiding having these natural characteristics in your wood. These marks are also what makes much of the stabilized wood so desirable, but that wood just has much much more of them.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 13, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #1,695 of 6,518
Personally I like the stabilized versions that aren't colored the best out of the ZMF wood lineup but I respect that they cater to a wide spectrum of aesthetic appeal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back