ZMF Atrium Closed
Mar 30, 2024 at 2:32 AM Post #3,016 of 3,180
Yeah, I didn’t really enjoy the AO for Jazz and Classical as much, tbh — the Verite (Open or Closed) absolutely nail those genres better than either of the Atriums (to my ears.)

That said, I did find that the AO do vocals with acoustic accompaniment superbly well — better than any headphones I’ve heard.

The AC is still great with jazz, and is very addicting with soundtracks (dat bass!)

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #3,018 of 3,180
Yeah, I didn’t really enjoy the AO for Jazz and Classical as much, tbh — the Verite (Open or Closed) absolutely nail those genres better than either of the Atriums (to my ears.)

That said, I did find that the AO do vocals with acoustic accompaniment superbly well — better than any headphones I’ve heard.

The AC is still great with jazz, and is very addicting with soundtracks (dat bass!)
Yes, it's not like the AC or AO handle jazz or classical badly. It handles it very well and I've enjoyed listening to the genres on the AC during the burn in process the last couple of days, I just like other sets of cans better for those particular genres.

I also agree that certain soundtracks are just awesome with the AC. Conan, God of War, The Last Samurai Suite from Hans Zimmer Live......etc.

Apr 3, 2024 at 2:20 AM Post #3,019 of 3,180
Since Monday I've been listening to the AC exclusively to get initial impressions and to burn in.

Wanted to form my initial impressions with a single voice, so all listening has been done on SS with the Bliss. When I've not been listening, they've been burning in on a DAP.

Passed the 100-hour mark early this afternoon and made the move to a tube amp.

Powered up the HA-300MKII and I only have one thing to say.

tenor-3852635388.gif

What pads are on your ac?

Apr 3, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #3,020 of 3,180
Since Monday I've been listening to the AC exclusively to get initial impressions and to burn in.

Wanted to form my initial impressions with a single voice, so all listening has been done on SS with the Bliss. When I've not been listening, they've been burning in on a DAP.

Passed the 100-hour mark early this afternoon and made the move to a tube amp.

Powered up the HA-300MKII and I only have one thing to say.

tenor-3852635388.gif
Nice! I feel the same way, when I plug any of my headphones into the HA300MK2. The amp is just that good with ZMF's.

Happy Listening!

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:06 AM Post #3,021 of 3,180
Nice! I feel the same way, when I plug any of my headphones into the HA300MK2. The amp is just that good with ZMF's.

Happy Listening!
Atriums, both open and closed pair well with SS amps.

But when you pair it with a high impedance tube amp, the results are nothing short of breathtaking...

Apr 3, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #3,022 of 3,180
What pads are on your ac?
I am using the Caldera Suede pads. I ordered it with the Bokeh Hybrids. I like both but suedes offer a more even sound signature for me.

Over the last 200 hours of break in, I have found the AC pleasing on tubes and SS. Which one I prefer depends on the dynamic range of the album.

With things like studio albums and using Roon's DR levels anything with a level of 9 or below I like on SS with the AC. On albums like classical, orchestral soundtracks, live performances that always seem to have ridiculously high DR (like 15 to 20) I prefer the AC on tubes.

When the DR starts getting that high, albums sound a little lifeless and I have to turn the volume wheel too high on SS on the AC to get that warmth and bass slam I want. Tubes add that body and life back into music when the DR is too high.

The AO tubes all day every day.

Apr 3, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #3,023 of 3,180
I am using the Caldera Suede pads. I ordered it with the Bokeh Hybrids. I like both but suedes offer a more even sound signature for me.

Over the last 200 hours of break in, I have found the AC pleasing on tubes and SS. Which one I prefer depends on the dynamic range of the album.

With things like studio albums and using Roon's DR levels anything with a level of 9 or below I like on SS with the AC. On albums like classical, orchestral soundtracks, live performances that always seem to have ridiculously high DR (like 15 to 20) I prefer the AC on tubes.

When the DR starts getting that high, albums sound a little lifeless and I have to turn the volume wheel too high on SS on the AC to get that warmth and bass slam I want. Tubes add that body and life back into music when the DR is too high.

The AO tubes all day every day.

So which do you like better between ac and ao

Apr 3, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #3,025 of 3,180
I'm trying to either reduce or control the bass on the Atrium Closed.

Should the suede pads I got with my Verite Closed fit on my Atrium Closed (Olive wood versions with the stock pads)? Or should I get a pair new Caldera Suede pads? I'm hesitant to fuss with the pads before I know it they would fit. Should I try other kinds of pads?

Would more break-in time help? I read somewhere that break-in time is important with the Atrium

I love everything else about the sonics of the AC, like the expansive soundfield, the organic, realistic timbre for vocals and instruments with sustained tones (reminiscent of the R10s I used to own), and the way images live in their own believable surrounding space.

But the bass seems to just lose control and be ever-present and sort of pounds on my ears. This happens with different DACs and amps. The VC and Caldera are fine with the bass, which is tight and tuneful.

I admit that I am personally kind of sensitive to bass that is overwhelming to me or not solid enough.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #3,026 of 3,180
But the bass seems to just lose control and be ever-present and sort of pounds on my ears.

I guess they overdid bass elevation on AC? Nothing a bit of EQ can't fix.
I like bass on my AO (Bubinga) - it doesn't need EQ in my opinion.

Apr 3, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #3,027 of 3,180

Should the suede pads I got with my Verite Closed fit on my Atrium Closed (Olive wood versions with the stock pads)? Or should I get a pair new Caldera Suede pads? I'm hesitant to fuss with the pads before I know it they would fit. Should I try other kinds of pads?

Would more break-in time help? I read somewhere that break-in time is important with the Atrium

I love everything else about the sonics of the AC, like the expansive soundfield, the organic, realistic timbre for vocals and instruments with sustained tones (reminiscent of the R10s I used to own), and the way images live in their own believable surrounding space.

But the bass seems to just lose control and be ever-present and sort of pounds on my ears. This happens with different DACs and amps. The VC and Caldera are fine with the bass, which is tight and tuneful.

I admit that I am personally kind of sensitive to bass that is overwhelming to me or not solid enough.

Thank you.
The caldera suede pads will tame down the bass a bunch. Also burn in with the bass is real on this headphone. I originally went to the suede after I got them to tame down the bass. I saw a few users in here saying they did the same but then went back to the lambskin. I tried out the lambskin and the bass was right where I wanted it.

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #3,028 of 3,180

Thank you.
The AC definitely needs some burn in. Between 50 - 100 hours there is a fair amount of change.

Overall the consensus seems to be about 50% prefer the stock lambskin pads and the other 50% prefer the Caldera Suede pads.

When I first got mine, with the Lambskin pads I found the bass to be a bit too much. The Caldera suede pads balanced it out perfectly for me. I did switch back to the Lambskin after burn in and found that it was not as bad as when I first got them. Overall I still prefer suede though.

Right now I'm actually enjoying the AC with Bokeh Suede pads. Its kind of an in between of the Lambskin and Caldera Suedes.

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #3,029 of 3,180

Thank you.
Hello,

Caldera suede pads work great in my case. The bass is there but much more controlled. And I think they open up the soundstage a bit too.

Maybe at some point I will go back to the stock ones to feel that wonderful sub-bass again, but it’s true that sometimes it was too much (for me)

As said before, the burn-in is absolutely real with this headphone and everything sounded better after 100-150 hours to my ears

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #3,030 of 3,180
Yes, it's not like the AC or AO handle jazz or classical badly. It handles it very well and I've enjoyed listening to the genres on the AC during the burn in process the last couple of days, I just like other sets of cans better for those particular genres.

I also agree that certain soundtracks are just awesome with the AC. Conan, God of War, The Last Samurai Suite from Hans Zimmer Live......etc.
Ghost of Tsushima 1st track on the AC is 👌👌

Users who are viewing this thread

Back