ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Mar 11, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #6,571 of 6,740
LTD Camphor Burl is headlining with a supremely able supporting cast! 5EAA1DA2-9390-43ED-A8E9-2D3566100C4C.jpeg [TEAC VRDS 701-T CD transport and MUSICIAN Taurus R2R DAC]

That combo probably sounds incredible. Any thoughts of getting stratus or stellaris ?

Mar 19, 2024 at 1:05 AM Post #6,572 of 6,740
Excited to receive the Caldera suede ultra perf pads today, which were just released. I've tried them on all my ZMF Opens and have only ever used Universe suedes on the Aeolus. Well these new pads are my new favorites on the Aeolus and I'll be ordering another pair specifically for them (as they're on my Atrium Open for now). They make the Aeolus more airy, have greater clarity such that it's really difficult to believe sometimes that this is one of their least expensive models.

When I went back to the Uni suedes they sounded a bit grainy. On some of the other models, these new pads have reduced the bass too much but they don't seem to on the Aeolus. Definitely worth trying, especially if you are already a fan of the Uni suedes on them. These pads bring them closer to the Verite which is how I've felt about the BE-2 suedes, though I haven't done that comparison yet. Fun to get a whole new experience out of these headphones I've had awhile now!

Mar 19, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #6,573 of 6,740
That combo probably sounds incredible. Any thoughts of getting stratus or stellaris ?
It certainly does. If I were to climb the DNA ladder, I would likely stop at Stratus. Then I think: 'do I really need to collect 2A3 tubes?' [alongside my collections of 6922/7308, 12AT7, 12AU7, 5998, 6080, CV1863, GZ34 ... 🤪]

Mar 21, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #6,574 of 6,740
Hi guys,

I’ve owned the Aeolus several times. Like some people on this thread I got rid of it because I wanted to upgrade to something more detailed. I personally have found what I have looking for in that regard and now I’m wondering if I should go back to these for a secondary system. I know they were magic with the suede pads and tubes. How well does it pair with the ZMF Pendant? The Pendant is a much more linear amp (SET) vs other OTLs that I know sound better with this headphone. Thanks for any help.

Mar 21, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #6,575 of 6,740
Hi guys,

I’ve owned the Aeolus several times. Like some people on this thread I got rid of it because I wanted to upgrade to something more detailed. I personally have found what I have looking for in that regard and now I’m wondering if I should go back to these for a secondary system. I know they were magic with the suede pads and tubes. How well does it pair with the ZMF Pendant? The Pendant is a much more linear amp (SET) vs other OTLs that I know sound better with this headphone. Thanks for any help.
The Aeolus & Pendant (OG) were my go to for a while, I loved that combo (Universe Suede & Verite Pads and OG Bifrost 2). I never felt wanting for detail even though that isn't Aeolus' forte and could happily listen for hours. I went to the Atrium (O), which I love, but every time I hear an Aeolus I still smile.

I can't guarantee you'll have the same felling ofc, and another option would be to get ears on a Bokeh open when it comes out. I LOVE what I heard from the Bokeh open at CanJam.

Mar 21, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #6,576 of 6,740
The Aeolus & Pendant (OG) were my go to for a while, I loved that combo (Universe Suede & Verite Pads and OG Bifrost 2). I never felt wanting for detail even though that isn't Aeolus' forte and could happily listen for hours. I went to the Atrium (O), which I love, but every time I hear an Aeolus I still smile.

I can't guarantee you'll have the same felling ofc, and another option would be to get ears on a Bokeh open when it comes out. I LOVE what I heard from the Bokeh open at CanJam.
Can you explain what the difference in sound was between those two pads with that setup? Suede to me brought out the mids more and made the bass less prominent.

Mar 21, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #6,577 of 6,740
The Verite pads pulled back the mid bass even more without neutering the fun (for my taste ofc) and added just a touch more energy to the upper mids/lower treble compared to the suede. Helped with some of the frequencies I need a bit more from with aging ears

Verite pads are not made any longer, but the BE pads seem to be the closest from what I'm told, I haven't actually tried them. @heliosphann probably has a paragraph or two about them if you search for it.

Mar 21, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #6,578 of 6,740
Hi guys,

I used this exact combo for quite some time before I sold my Aeolus (just a week ago). I needed the OG Aeolus lambskin pads with the combo, otherwise (with the Universe Lambskin or Universe Suede) I found the treble irritating. But with the Aeolus pads, man that timbre was so spot on. And the bass so punchy. The Pendant SE gives the Aeolus some good stage as well. I definitely recommend!

Mar 21, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #6,579 of 6,740
I LOVE what I heard from the Bokeh open at CanJam.
This might be my next purchase. I’m not much of a closed headphone guy, but I’m very intrigued by the Bokeh open.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #6,580 of 6,740
I got my first pair of ZMF headphones today, a used pair of Aeolus, thanks to a phenomenal transaction with head-fier @haasaaroni. Now I know what "end game" might mean, as these gorgeous cans fit my preferred sound signature almost perfectly. It's almost like Zach and Co. made them for me.

I've owned and enjoyed the LCD-X 2021, which are the same price as the Aeolus new. The LCD-X are a very nice set, but they can't compare to the sweet sound I'm hearing from the Aeolus. The musicality and cohesion of the Aeolus are off-the-charts good.

So smitten. Sonic bliss!

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #6,581 of 6,740
I got my first pair of ZMF headphones today, a used pair of Aeolus, thanks to a phenomenal transaction with head-fier @haasaaroni. Now I know what "end game" might mean, as these gorgeous cans fit my preferred sound signature almost perfectly. It's almost like Zach and Co. made them for me.

I've owned and enjoyed the LCD-X 2021, which are the same price as the Aeolus new. The LCD-X are a very nice set, but they can't compare to the sweet sound I'm hearing from the Aeolus. The musicality and cohesion of the Aeolus are off-the-charts good.

So smitten. Sonic bliss!
Anddddd off come my Bokeh and on go the Aeolus :) You've got me craving the Aeolus again...just been having some fun recently with the Bokeh since I received it last week.

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #6,582 of 6,740
Anddddd off come my Bokeh and on go the Aeolus :) You've got me craving the Aeolus again...just been having some fun recently with the Bokeh since I received it last week.
There's no doubt the upcoming Bokeh Open will tempt me like the apple in the Garden of Eden.

Will I bite? We shall see ... :)

But for now, I'm in hot lust with the Aeolus. Tapping my feet and shaking my head to nearly every tune in every genre. They're just so damn musical -- with no EQ, either.

I plan to pad roll and maybe try the radial mesh. But these are sublime right out of the case.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #6,583 of 6,740
There's no doubt the upcoming Bokeh Open will tempt me like the apple in the Garden of Eden.

But for now, I'm in hot lust with the Aeolus. Tapping my feet and shaking my head to nearly every tune in every genre. They're just so damn musical.
There's no right answer here in my opinion...the Aeolus is still some seriously good ear candy. I definitely miss it at times. Bokeh open is promising to be a helluva fun listen too. Definitely a "pick your poison" here I imagine. Either one is a winner.

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #6,584 of 6,740

But for now, I'm in hot lust with the Aeolus. Tapping my feet and shaking my head to nearly every tune in every genre. They're just so damn musical -- with no EQ, either.

I plan to pad roll and maybe try the radial mesh. But these are sublime right out of the case.
My next headphone/ZMF will probably be Atrium.

I love my Aeolus. Ever since I got it back in January, I haven't touched my LCD-2's and barely my HD600's. I don't eq anymore also. I used to last few years, but since I got the Aeolus, noooooo eq anymore. Even on my HD600's, I'm appreciating the stock sound, so nice and reference.

Aeolus definitely want to make you dance a bit! Very musical indeed. Music just comes to life. I have the stock pads and radial mesh. Cocobolo wood too :)

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #6,585 of 6,740

Yes! Head-bobbing, feet-tapping, that's what the Aeolus is all about :sunglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back