ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Sep 29, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #6,467 of 6,751
Thanks everyone, I can't wait to try them out, I ordered the Ori perforated suede pads at the same time as I have read many prefer, I hope they will be a good complement to my Sennheiser HD800s 👍
They definitely should be since they're so very different, I'm sure you'll dig them! I find Aeolus to be a totally addictive listen.

Oct 2, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #6,468 of 6,751
I've been following this thread about the magic of the Caldera Ultra perf and just came across someone else's experience with those same pads on the Atrium and calling them vivid, sweet, holographic, and true to life.

There seems to be some magic with these Ultra perf pads. Looks like I might have to get myself a set to try out.

Has anyone else experienced the Ultra perf Caldera pads on their Aeolus? Over the regular Caldera pads?

Oct 7, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #6,470 of 6,751
I've pretty much made up my mind on the Aeolus. I think it'll be a perfect compliment to the HE1000 Stealth, which is a great headphone, but sometimes you want to just chill and relax with background music. The Aeolus seems to be a good choice for that, as the Stealth is highly detailed and sometimes can be a bit fatiguing.

I really want a royal blue resin/wood pair, but if not a burl would be nice too. Hoping there's some available for ZMF November. Looking forward to it!

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #6,471 of 6,751
Hey now, Sapele can look great too. :) Here is my 2020 Aeolus after a loving refresh at ZMF headquarters.

While we’re at it …. LTD Camphor Burl …. quite the pearl!
C779FB33-61C9-4807-8E9C-514C3F6FEA4F.jpeg
A118A723-AFF0-47AF-B73E-240882BF25D2.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #6,472 of 6,751
Oct 11, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #6,473 of 6,751
I didn't like Ori perforated suede's as much, I preferred the stock lambskin with its more dynamic sound and tighter bass, sonically they fall between the HD600 and HD800s for me, they have a deeper bass, slightly more open sound and a bit bigger soundstage than HD600, but they can't match the exceptional intimate midrange that HD600 delivers, but is there any other headphone that can?

Aeolus doesn't match the HD800s in terms of detail retrieval, neutrality and soundstage, but I didn't expect that either, but they fit perfectly well as a complement to my Sennheiser's, especially for classic 60's and 70's rock that I grow up with, and they are great for relaxed and chill listening at low volume, and that's why I bought them, and I like them a lot.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #6,474 of 6,751
Any one having experience of Aeolus pairing with Fiio K7/Xduoo XA10 or any sub 300 amp?

Oct 15, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #6,475 of 6,751
Any one having experience of Aeolus pairing with Fiio K7/Xduoo XA10 or any sub 300 amp?
I used to own a piety and a aeolus; was pretty good

Oct 19, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #6,477 of 6,751
Can you expand on this? Currently using Auteur classic with Piety but want to try Aeolus on this as I want warmer..
i don't remember trying autuer but going off my experience with atrium I'd say it's really dependent on what you're looking for; Aeolus is a "chill" headphone, something you'd pick up to relax after a long day and autuer should be a little more neutral.

I'd imagine auteur does more genres better but wouldn't be as great, and conversely for the aeolus, it might not do great for a variety of genres, but DAMN will it do a damn good job for genres like rock, acoustic and anything with a guitar.

It's much more mid-bass focused and gives bass/guitars/ male vocals a enjoyable heft to them that I haven't heard in other headphones (as of yet). As expected, if you're into neutral, you shouldn't be looking at Aeolus.

I do find that piety does build on all aforementioned characteristics in a small package and a low price (not to forget a pretty nice chassis) and I'd say it's worth a shot. Don't expect it to sound "like a tube amp" though.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #6,478 of 6,751
9d2edee4-e538-4693-b893-9660faaca0b8_progressive.jpg

a6852942-7beb-451b-8d28-b2afe648c9bb_progressive.jpg

One of the sockets came out sadly, but I am glad as heck ZMF stuff is so user open-able to pull that connector back in. I was probably as pale as the reaper himself the moment it came out. Still feeling a little lightheaded as I type this.

I guess I am super damned lucky the channel still plays music normally and need not send it back to Zach for repairs, but I have to be ultra careful extracting cables now, any ideas, in the 0.001% chance, what can I do to tighten it again?

I never bought any aftermarket cables for any headphones I have, but I think this is a sign I finally get one along with a dual mini XLR to 3.5mm adapter

Nov 13, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #6,479 of 6,751
9d2edee4-e538-4693-b893-9660faaca0b8_progressive.jpg

a6852942-7beb-451b-8d28-b2afe648c9bb_progressive.jpg

One of the sockets came out sadly, but I am glad as heck ZMF stuff is so user open-able to pull that connector back in. I was probably as pale as the reaper himself the moment it came out. Still feeling a little lightheaded as I type this.

I guess I am super damned lucky the channel still plays music normally and need not send it back to Zach for repairs, but I have to be ultra careful extracting cables now, any ideas, in the 0.001% chance, what can I do to tighten it again?

I never bought any aftermarket cables for any headphones I have, but I think this is a sign I finally get one along with a dual mini XLR to 3.5mm adapter
We use a specialty 3m glue gun glue for the Jack's, the newer models (atrium onward) are screwed in from the back as well, but with thay model you could send us an email and we'll help you out with the right stuff. Support@zmfheadphones.com or email me zach@zmfheadphones.com

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 13, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #6,480 of 6,751

Users who are viewing this thread

Back