ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Sep 25, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #6,017 of 6,741
Sep 25, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #6,019 of 6,741
Sep 25, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #6,020 of 6,741
Yep. I'm aware of the differences. Still searching for my final open and closed. I have sources that can adequately drive either.
Not after a giant soundstage, but definitely an obvious out of the head experience. Dynamics and separation are most important. I don't want an over the top in your face experience, but I do want a full bodied, meat on the bone, energetic and lively presentation. I like sub bass that is a little North of neutral, good attack and decay, preferably well layered and relatively tight and quick.
I want some obvious warmth in the lower mids, but not too warm - a little more than a touch here. Slightly mid forward or neutral in this area - nothing recessed. Male vocals, electric and bass guitars, and drum kits need to sound distinct, proper and real.
The upper mids are where I'm more particular. No excessive sizzle, brightness, or heat, but I want it to sound natural without crazy extension, leading to a false sense of detailing. Don't need crazy macro details by any means, but I do want to hear and distinguish everything that the song has to offer.
I have some poorly recorded, rare 80s hair metal, so finding a headphone that won't highlight this is important. As for the upper treble, natural again with a decent amount of air and sparkle. Does this at all sound like the Aeolus? I was also considering the Atticus, but after researching, the Aeolus seems like a better fit for what I seek.
It sounds very much like the Aeolus with either the universe suede perforated pads (my favorites) or the perforated lambskin Verite pads.

The Verite pads bring out the most neutrality & resolution the Aeolus is capable of: a touch of warmth in the lower mids; less of the mid-bass hump than with any other pads; and relatively straightforward, definitely not bright/sizzly upper midrange/lower treble.

I've found the Aeolus to be extremely responsive to pad-rolling. It always has that fun, musical sound, but definitely levels out w/the Verites.

Sep 25, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #6,021 of 6,741
One thing to be aware of with the Gjallahorn, they're quite a unique experience. For me it felt almost like a combination of iem and over ear. In that some of the music feels like it's being narrowly fed to your ear, then some elements feel more like traditional over ear.

It was a novelty headphone for me, not something I could seriously use longer term, and I used a very small selection of music with it (just some Beatles albums). The Aeolus is a much nicer experience overall. With the added benefit of easily swapping pads to change the tuning (2 headphones in one).
Well, everyone who has commented suggests the Aeolus. Seems like it might be the one. Thanks for the reply.

Sep 25, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #6,022 of 6,741
It sounds very much like the Aeolus with either the universe suede perforated pads (my favorites) or the perforated lambskin Verite pads.

The Verite pads bring out the most neutrality & resolution the Aeolus is capable of: a touch of warmth in the lower mids; less of the mid-bass hump than with any other pads; and relatively straightforward, definitely not bright/sizzly upper midrange/lower treble.

I've found the Aeolus to be extremely responsive to pad-rolling. It always has that fun, musical sound, but definitely levels out w/the Verites.
From all I've read, it seems that the suede pads are a good starting point.

Sep 25, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #6,024 of 6,741
From all I've read, it seems that the suede pads are a good starting point.
It's still up for debate. I actually preferred the universe Lambskin because it WASN'T as neutral. I like my pad rolling like I like my coffee. Seductive with some warmth.

Sep 26, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #6,026 of 6,741
I received my canary Aeolus headphones today. I am curious about the quick start guide that came with them. To protect the wood, it recommends the use of a Boveda pack rated at 49% storage humidity. Is anyone actually doing this? If so, how? Do the headphones go back into the case with the humidity pack?

Sep 27, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #6,027 of 6,741
It's still up for debate. I actually preferred the universe Lambskin because it WASN'T as neutral. I like my pad rolling like I like my coffee. Seductive with some warmth.
I've slimmed my collection down to two main headphones. The Fostex TH909 and the Aeolus. I love perf suede, but have switched to perf leather to have a nice contrast between the two. Easy to fall in love with either pad.

Sep 27, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #6,029 of 6,741
Hello again ZMF lovers!
I'm looking for a budget amp+dac combo or separate, under $400 I would say
I had been using a schiit bifrost 2 fro and lyr 3, was pretty happy with it but had to let them go
I've so far considered Topping DX3 pro+ and JDS lab Element 2.
I mostly listen to Rock (Pink Floyd mostly) and some soul/jazz.
Recommendations will be really appreciated :)

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #6,030 of 6,741
Hello again ZMF lovers!
I'm looking for a budget amp+dac combo or separate, under $400 I would say
I had been using a schiit bifrost 2 fro and lyr 3, was pretty happy with it but my aeolus driver broke twice withing two years so I sold the stack.
I've so far considered Topping DX3 pro+ and JDS lab Element 2.
I mostly listen to Rock (Pink Floyd mostly) and some soul/jazz.
Recommendations will be really appreciated :)
SO,
So you think can tell
Heaveeeen from Heeeeell
Blue skys from pain
How I wish How I wish you were here
We just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl

Quite pleased with my element ll so far :) Had the opportunity to test out closed back Verite with Element ll and I gotta say I liked my Aeolus better.

Ps. Zach you are a God.
JDS lab you guys also rock! What a sexy powerful little device and great match for my baby Aeolus

Attachments

• 20220928_204648.jpg
    20220928_204648.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220928_212331.jpg
    20220928_212331.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back