ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jan 10, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #5,282 of 6,740
I've been looking for a more relaxed/less analytic headphone for a while since my HD800S is great but you know..sometimes you just want to lean back or read and not being distracted.. So I have a just bought a half year old Aeolus with suede perf.- and BE2 perf. lambskin pads

I will be using it out of my RME ADI2 -> Violectric V280 amp

My main interest is a nice smoorth jazz- strings and solo piano sound..

I almost pulled the trigger on a LCD X 2021 but the weight scared me off :)

Jan 10, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #5,283 of 6,740
I almost pulled the trigger on a LCD X 2021 but the weight scared me off :)
Same. I've heard the technical performance is better on the LCD-X but Aeolus definitely has it's own advantages.

Jan 10, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #5,284 of 6,740
Slipping back into the Aeolus tonight, and it feels so good. Fussing about with higher and higher-end amps and DACs can really transform the sound of a more revealing headphone, yet at the same time, all this change can give me the impression that there's always some problem I'm trying to solve. Always something to tweak and improve.

What I love about the Aeolus is that there is no problem to solve. Pure musical connection. With whatever source gear or song happens to be playing. What a gift.

Also yeah, I plug them into a Crack + Speedball fed by a Bifrost 2, and together with the cost of the Aeolus, I'm already fairly up there in terms of price. But as soon as I plug them in, any desire to upgrade or side-grade is irrelevant. To quote the guy whose album I'm listening to right now: "You might get lucky now and then, you win some."

What pads do you use to pair the Aeolus for the Crack + Speedball? thanks!

Jan 10, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #5,285 of 6,740
What pads do you use to pair the Aeolus for the Crack + Speedball? thanks!
Universe suede! I swapped out the original Aeolus lambskin pads with them when I first got the Aeolus and haven’t taken them off since.

Jan 10, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #5,288 of 6,740
Unfortunately this'll be it for me, as for writing too. I haven't had a pair of headphones since I was forced (not by @Sword of Damocles - he's a true gentleman) the clearly b-stock Aeolus pair that was sold to me as a-stock (apparently the mods here didn't like it despite the crapton of evidence. Losing on that money hurt, being essentially invalidized and without income, but had no choice due to meds and rent. It's not like the 400€ I lost in it crushed me - in fact it didn't matter as I'm 4 months and well over a grand behind on rent now so screw it.

I didn't care about the outward appearance of the pair though. I cared about the music making my pain more bearable. The plan was to re-buy the pair (thank you @Sword of Damocles ) however due to a crash in health and going to zero income, I'm now looking at eviction instead of my Aeolus back (in fact I have no hp's left after trying to make rent and failing miserably). Unfortunate my pain is worsening, and the treatment isn't keeping up. Currently I'm losing all dexterity of my fingers and hands, and **** knows what's next. Good thing is that the chronic pain is still there. Only good thing is that my legs survived the horrific wounds, yay - though they look god-awful.

Unfortunately due to the dexterity issues and extreme hand pain, I can't really write anymore, so I wanted to leave this one thing here. I wanted to thank @Sword of Damocles and @Roderick for all the help and support. Their reviews in Finnish are pro-grade. I also wanted to say thank you to @zach915m and Bev. I've still not forgotten the msg Bev wrote on the ZMF coaster when I was in the hospital fighting for my life. And I haven't forgotten how much pain my Aeolus took away. I counted three times the Aeolus saved my life. Unfortunately I'll never get to experience that again, and the dream on owning a Verite is also dead, but ZMF gave me a lot. Zach and Bev gave me life. Thank you.

I'd love to be more positive, but writing hurts like hell and takes time, and life without music ain't great. Thank you all for being here for support. You guys rock.

Someone wanted me to make a gofundme or something, but I'd rather not go through that embarrassing ordeal. I know being a chronic pain patient in my mid-30s with a plethora of issues lucky to make it to 40 isn't exactly, well, appealing.

I had hoped to meet Zach and/or Bev at some point, but realistically that'll never happen anymore. In truth, I was extremely disappointed with @zach915m handling the Aeolus case I mentioned, but I still consider you a hero of the headphone world. It sucks that I'll never get to meet you or likely ever get to have your headphones again. You have no idea how much you changed my life. The few months I owned my Aeolus, my mood went up from being clinically depressed to almost normal, I was able to deal with the physical pain so well that I even managed to drop my painkiller dose a bit, and my family said, while I was in the hospital fighting for my legs and life, I got my will to fight back.

I won't lie, it's been hard without that Aeolus pair these months. I was supposed to get to buy them back for 500€, but seeing as how I can't even afford one month's rent, it's a dead dream. I held onto this idea that something good's gonna happen, but unfortunately my last Aeolus run is done. It sucks that I've forgotten how exactly they sound, and how it feels to put them on and forget about the pain for a couple hours. That I miss just about more than anything - the analgesic effect. The pain being subsided by euphoria. Only the Aeolus can do that. God I miss that.

Part of me still refuses to give in - perhaps I'll live to see 40 and one day I'll live with moderate pain with no meds, I'll have my dexterity back, and maybe I'll yet find a way to find an Aeolus pair that I'll enjoy while watching the sunset. I know it's a stupid dream, but with 24/7 pain and limited time you grab onto any straw.

We'll see if they throw me out in the middle of the winter, that'd be an adventure!

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #5,290 of 6,740
@smoothb0re Thanks for your kind words. Your situation makes me feel sad and kinda bad, as I cannot return your Aeolus completely free.

Life is not fair for all of us, so it doesn't really feel good to be well either, when reading stuff like this.

In my opinion, the crack in the wood cup of your Aeolus is not that ugly, but it should not have been sold by the previous owner without mentioning about it. I think it as a scar reminding me of the hard times the headphones have been going through. They still survived and sound great! Hopefully one day there are only few scars of your own reminding of the hard times you survived before getting better.

Take care!

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #5,291 of 6,740
In case anyone here missed it, ZMF added the new crescent headband to the website for order. There's also a new video on how to install it:

Zach recommends ordering it with the new steel headband because the shape is different. Contrary to the older style headband, the new crescent band comes into contact with the strap increasing the contact surface area to eliminate any hotspots on top of the head.
I have a problem with a hotspot on my head with the older headband + suede strap, So I'll order a crescent band with the leather strap.

P.S. The leather strap wasn't available at ZMF's website, I emailed them and they added it back, Yay! I'm gonna try the crescent headband with both the leather and suede strap to see which one is more comfortable.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #5,292 of 6,740
In case anyone here missed it, ZMF added the new crescent headband to the website for order. There's also a new video on how to install it:

Zach recommends ordering it with the new steel headband because the shape is different. Contrary to the older style headband, the new crescent band comes into contact with the strap increasing the contact surface area to eliminate any hotspots on top of the head.
I have a problem with a hotspot on my head with the older headband + suede strap, So I'll order a crescent band with the leather strap.

P.S. The leather strap wasn't available at ZMF's website, I emailed them and they added it back, Yay! I'm gonna try the crescent headband with both the leather and suede strap to see which one is more comfortable.

I think the steel piece comes with the crescent band, right? I don’t see any way to order it on its own on their website.

Jan 13, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #5,294 of 6,740
No, you have to buy them separately. Just click on Crescent Strap then Suede Strap, a sub menu will appear and you can choose with or without the steel band.
Oh! Good to know. Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back