ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jan 21, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #5,311 of 6,741
Look at Eufonika tube amps for ZMF cans. For the price they offer, I don't know if there's any competition out there. For Aeolus, I have no higher recommendation. If I could choose just one set to have for the rest of time, I'd take the Aeolus with perf suedes and Eufonika H5.
I couldn't agree more. I have the Eufonika H5 with Miflex caps and it is superb with the Aeolus. Imagine it would pair beautifully with any ZMF headphone. Eufonika amps are a great deal - handmade, well designed and well built, at a very good price. I have a review here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/eufonika-valve-amps-from-poland.909833/page-16

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #5,312 of 6,741
I'm sure there are excellent tube amps to match with Aeolus. I'm just here to say I'm shocked how this little fella (BTR5) handles the Aeolus even from SE output. Aeolus shines with tubes but it's not amp picky at all.
photo_2022-01-22_20-21-51.jpg

Jan 22, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #5,313 of 6,741
Aeolus has joined my sorta ridiculous ZMF stable:

IMG_2690.jpg

Sapele is a simply lovely wood. This one is from '19 and came to me with suede perf Universe pads. Early impressions: yeah, these are very fun headphones. They are a nice contrast to my more analytical headphones. They definitely like OTL amps just as much as their siblings.

Jan 22, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #5,315 of 6,741
I like their vocals so much that i own 2 of them. I call them Super Aeolus after modding both.

0113221132_HDR.jpg
They're both gorgeous. What mods did you did to them?

Jan 22, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #5,316 of 6,741

IMG_2690.jpg

Sapele is a simply lovely wood. This one is from '19 and came to me with suede perf Universe pads. Early impressions: yeah, these are very fun headphones. They are a nice contrast to my more analytical headphones. They definitely like OTL amps just as much as their siblings.
Very nice! A beauty! It gets me more excited for the LTD Camphor Burl Aeolus that is due here soon…siblings await…
A7FAF81E-A767-448B-8E52-845401C5CBC5.jpeg

Jan 22, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #5,317 of 6,741

IMG_2690.jpg

Very nice! A beauty! It gets me more excited for the LTD Camphor Burl Aeolus that is due here soon…siblings await…A7FAF81E-A767-448B-8E52-845401C5CBC5.jpeg
I thought I had too many ZMF with VO and VC but you guys give me hope

Jan 22, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #5,318 of 6,741
They're both gorgeous. What mods did you did to them?
I also own the Auteur and i like the soundstage and airiness of them. Some people said that the Aeolus sound flat because of narrow soundstage and congested airway. So i opened them up (secret sauce). Now, they sound on par with Auteur or better. I am looking for some local head-fiers to A/B them with original Aeolus.

Jan 22, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #5,319 of 6,741
Jan 22, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #5,320 of 6,741
Impressions ZMF Aeolus (Limited Edition, Erskine):

** Using Stock Cables **

Disclaimer: These impressions were done while I thought I had the Auteur!

I first got introduced to ZMF headphones during a trip to CanJam SoCal 2021. I had met a fellow hobbyist who had the Aeolus and let me try it. Unfortunately, I didn’t spend enough time with the Aeolus to get to know the signature and note impressions.

Around the holiday season, I signed up for the ZMF newsletter, and I’m glad I did; ZMF had a sale on 12.3.2021 that featured limited headphones with figured, rare, and exotic wooden cups, so I took a deep dive and purchased four headphones: the Vérité (Erskine, Camphor Burl), Aeolus (Vaskas), and Eikon.

Packaging

I appreciate the work that ZMF has done to create a unique experience for customers. The Aeolus were neatly packaged, coming in a wooden case with velvety material to support the headphones, earpads to customize, and a booklet containing information regarding the headphone.

Aesthetics

With the design and addition of color to the Stabilized cups and the metal plates adding an ethereal look to the headphones, I felt compelled, and there was no better timing for me. These headphones have an inspired, timeless look that is simply unique and breathtakingly beautiful. The aesthetics of the Stabilized cups goes above and beyond; it is truly a work of art.

ZMF Auteur (Vaskas) on a Woo Audio headphone stand in backyard #3

Build & Comfort

I’ve never placed too much value on the build of a headphone, but because they were so unique, the Aeolus was the first headphone that made me think about the external construction of a headphone. I was impressed with the unboxing experience that I curiously examined the construction of my Aeolus.

I was immediately happy that they did not weigh much when I placed them on my head for the first time. These are very comfortable headphones for me. Not as light as the HD650 or HD800s, but still quite light and not very noticeable at ~470G.

ZMF Auteur (Vaskas) on a Woo Audio headphone stand in backyard #4

I remember feeling a bit confused when I first put on the Aeolus for the first time; it was my first ZMF headphone. It’s comfortable to wear, the pad-to-ear distance is nice, and fully covers my ears; real comfortable.

Sound

The Aeolus’s sound is chain-dependent. It is an encompassing presentation that sounds fundamentally “big”. It has a lot of air and space, and the imaging is such that much depth is portrayed.

Every headphone has a signature and a different sense of space. I find that with the Aeolus, it’s always grand, intimate, and weaves such an interesting interpretation of a track!

Other headphones achieve grandness in a multitude of different ways, for example, with the HiFiMan HE6SE, the depth of the notes and resulting resolution impacts the scene of the music and sense of space, whereas, with the ZMF Aeolus, it’s apparent and paints a vast scene for you, while still sounding resolving, however less resolving than headphones like the Sennheiser HD 800 S or HiFiMan HE6SE. I would compare it to a “speaker-like” presentation.

I find the Aeolus to be a balanced, yet very fun headphone. It’s a headphone that I can put on and never experience the onset of listening fatigue or treble peak.

Something interesting to note is the sonic qualities that come with the wood. I think it’s a phenomenal way to experience music.

I’ve found that the base signature and spaced imaging of the Aeolus makes it a very good headphone for any occasion.

ZMF Auteur (Vaskas) on a Woo Audio headphone stand in backyard #5

For my stable, it’s a headphone I put on when I want to feel engaged, and, quite literally, “in” the music. There is no thinking and analyzing, everything surrounds you and it’s a lot of fun to listen to. At times it felt like I were wading through the music.

I don’t think the Aeolus is a “niche” headphone for a specific sound profile. Rather, it’s a very flexible headphone that adapts wonderfully to a track and paints a deep, engaging, and speaker-like presentation.

I don’t typically associate such a big sound with a commanding bass presence and depth as “neutral”, however, the Aeolus achieves this. There is plenty of space and air. When a lot is going on in complex tracks, everything is adequately spaced. It sounds so good that the resolving and engaging presentation is an afterthought as you enjoy the music.

Bass is very important for me. I’ve learned to enjoy bass in the bass-tame signatures like the Sennheiser HD 800 S, but I’m very impressed with how the bass engages you with the Aeolus because when it’s present, we can experience the music with the intended intensity and involvement.

The imaging, soundstage, and extension of the Aeolus produces a sound that kind of sweeps you. It's a wide, holographic sound that gives much energy to a song, and this makes it special.

Conclusion

The Aeolus is an awesome headphone with a unique expression. I’m sold by both the aesthetics and the sound of the Aeolus. It is a truly deft headphone that manages to sound deep, resolving, and engaging at all times.

Source: Audio-GD HE-7 MK I, Yulong D18

Cables: Blue Jeans Coaxial Cables

USB: Singxer SU-6

Amplifier: Yulong A18, Feliks Audio Euforia, ampsandsound Kenzie OG Rev 2, ampsandsound Agartha

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #5,321 of 6,741
ZMF Aeolus Limited Edition (Vaskas) Impressions

Disclaimer: This review was done while I thought I had the Auteur!
🤪😜….blind testing with ‘eyes wide open’?…

Jan 22, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #5,322 of 6,741
ZMF Aeolus Limited Edition (Vaskas) Impressions

Disclaimer: These impressions were done while I thought I had the Auteur!

I first got introduced to ZMF headphones during a trip to CanJam SoCal 2021. I had met a fellow hobbyist who had the Aeolus and let me try it. Unfortunately, I didn’t spend enough time with the Aeolus to get to know the signature and note impressions.

Around the holiday season, I signed up for the ZMF newsletter, and I’m glad I did; ZMF had a sale on 12.3.2021 that featured limited headphones with figured, rare, and exotic wooden cups, so I took a deep dive and purchased four headphones: the Vérité (Erskine, Camphor Burl), Aeolus (Vaskas), and Eikon.

Packaging

I appreciate the work that ZMF has done to create a unique experience for customers. The Aeoluss were neatly packaged, coming in a wooden case with velvety material to support the headphones, earpads to customize, and a booklet containing information regarding the headphone.

Aesthetics

With the design and addition of color to the Stabilized cups and the metal plates adding an ethereal look to the headphones, I felt compelled, and there was no better timing for me. These headphones have an inspired, timeless look that is simply unique and breathtakingly beautiful. The aesthetics of the Stabilized cups goes above and beyond; it is truly a work of art.

ZMF Auteur (Vaskas) on a Woo Audio headphone stand in backyard #3

Build & Comfort

I’ve never placed too much value on the build of a headphone, but because they were so unique, the Aeolus was the first headphone that made me think about the external construction of a headphone. I was impressed with the unboxing experience that I curiously examined the construction of my Aeolus.

I was immediately happy that they did not weigh much when I placed them on my head for the first time. These are very comfortable headphones for me. Not as light as the HD650 or HD800s, but still quite light and not very noticeable at ~470G.

ZMF Auteur (Vaskas) on a Woo Audio headphone stand in backyard #4

I remember feeling a bit confused when I first put on the Aeoluss for the first time; it was my first ZMF headphone. It’s comfortable to wear, the pad-to-ear distance is nice, and fully covers my ears; real comfortable.

Sound

The Aeolus’s sound is chain-dependent. It is an encompassing presentation that sounds fundamentally “big”. It has a lot of air and space, and the imaging is such that much depth is portrayed.

Every headphone has a signature and a different sense of space. I find that with the Aeolus, it’s always grand and intimate.

Other headphones achieve grandness in a multitude of different ways, for example, with the HiFiMan HE6SE, the depth of the notes and resulting resolution impacts the scene of the music and sense of space, whereas, with the ZMF Aeolus, it’s apparent and paints a vast scene for you, while still sounding resolving, however less resolving than headphones like the Sennheiser HD 800 S or HiFiMan HE6SE. I would compare it to a “speaker-like” presentation.

I find the Aeolus to be a balanced, yet very fun headphone. It’s a headphone that I can put on and never experience the onset of listening fatigue or treble peak.

Something interesting to note is the sonic qualities that come with the wood. I think it’s a phenomenal way to experience music.

I’ve found that the consistent and space imaging of the Aeolus makes it a very good headphone for any occasion.

ZMF Auteur (Vaskas) on a Woo Audio headphone stand in backyard #5

What the Aeolus does, I think is very unique. For my stable, it’s a headphone I put on when I want to feel engaged and “in” the music. There is no thinking and analyzing, everything surrounds you and it’s a lot of fun to listen to.

I don’t think the Aeolus is a “niche” headphone for a specific sound profile. Rather, it’s a very flexible headphone that adapts wonderfully to a track and paints a deep, engaging, and speaker-like presentation.

I don’t typically associate such a big sound with a commanding bass presence and depth as “neutral”, however, the Aeolus achieves this. There is plenty of space and air. When a lot is going on in complex tracks, everything is spaced. It sounds so good that the resolving and engaging presentation is an afterthought as you enjoy the music.

Bass is very important for me. I’ve learned to enjoy bass in the bass-tame signatures like the Sennheiser HD 800 S, but I’m very impressed with how the bass engages you with the Aeolus because when it’s present, we can experience the music with the intended intensity and involvement.

Conclusion

The Aeolus sounds amazing. I’m sold by both the unique aesthetics and the sound of the Aeolus. It is a truly deft headphone that manages to sound deep, resolving, and engaging at all times.

I’m glad to have the Aeolus as part of my stable. It produces a very unique musicality that allows me to enjoy the music. Detailed analysis became an afterthought when listening with the Aeolus, still, the qualities that I have gathered give me an appreciation for the Aeolus.

Source: Audio-GD HE-7 MK I, Yulong D18

Cables: Blue Jeans Coaxial Cables

USB: Singxer SU-6

Amplifier: Yulong A18, Feliks Audio Euforia, ampsandsound Kenzie OG Rev 2, ampsandsound Agartha
Thanks for the impression. Have you also tried them with suede perforated pads? I think they sound the best with them.

Jan 22, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #5,323 of 6,741
Listening to Mozart string quintet K614..I'm so impressed by the tonality of this headphone, even 'just' out of my RME ADI-2 ..
The timbre, weight of tone is what I love about the Aeolus, guess I miss that sometimes on my HD800S

B R I L L I A N T !
That is lovely music--and yes, the Aeolus transmits all the loveliness (and liveliness) of classical music.

It's easy to get carried away with the "fun" label this headphone has. It really is the most fun headphone I've ever had. But underneath all that "fun sound" is a high-resolution, serious dynamic design. Just put on Verite pads and discover the Aeolus' true resolution; or put the Aeolus on a high-end amp (tube or SS) and listen to it scale.

Over the years I've learned that I prize musicality over resolution, not just in headphones, but in all audio. Still, I kind of have of have both with the Aeolus...

Jan 22, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #5,324 of 6,741
Thanks for the impression. Have you also tried them with suede perforated pads? I think they sound the best with them.
I have both the original and the suede perforated pads, and I prefer the original pads. However, there are a number of people on this forum who like the suede pads better. Personal preference - choose the one that you like best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back