ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Dec 31, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #5,237 of 6,740
My stabilized set came in as well, I posted pics in the ZMF november thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf...e-schedule-and-time-line.960504/post-16736127

I'm very impressed so far. They sound different from my Atticus (which I love but are a little more picky about what music sounds good on them). So far I'm noticing Aeolus has much better clarity, the bass is less in quantity but cleaner and still punchy, and the treble just sounds much more even than the Atticus (which makes sense given the open vs. closed difference). They're really great for rock and metal but I haven't found a genre they don't agree with. They're basically exactly what I was looking for to complement my LCD-2 and sound great with my tube amp.
I've only put around 20-30 hours on them so far (only some actually listening lol) so they're not fully broken in yet, and I actually did notice a change on my atticus so I'm looking forward to hearing how they break in.

Dec 31, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #5,239 of 6,740
One could say the Aeolus is the best ZMF can because of it's ability to play anything you throw at it and play it good :gs1000smile:
The dilemma is that after I don another ZMF headphone I think the same about that headphone too…🤔😄

Jan 1, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #5,242 of 6,740
One could say the Aeolus is the best ZMF can because of it's ability to play anything you throw at it and play it good :gs1000smile:
That honor goes to Auteur without EQ in my opinion. But If you EQ the Aeolus it's very close. I use AutoEQ preset with slight tweaking and It's awesome. However I'm looking for a closed back companion as well, maybe a bit brighter with planar drivers. (preferably 1000$ or less)

Jan 1, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #5,243 of 6,740
That honor goes to Auteur without EQ in my opinion. But If you EQ the Aeolus it's very close. I use AutoEQ preset with slight tweaking and It's awesome. However I'm looking for a closed back companion as well, maybe a bit brighter with planar drivers. (preferably 1000$ or less)
While the Auteur is my fav ZMF sometimes it doesn't respond so well too certain tracks. VCs are even more picky. Aeolus just slices through like nothing. Planar closed back brighter than Aeolus ? LCD-XC

Jan 1, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #5,244 of 6,740
While the Auteur is my fav ZMF sometimes it doesn't respond so well too certain tracks. VCs are even more picky. Aeolus just slices through like nothing. Planar closed back brighter than Aeolus ? LCD-XC
I have a pair of LCD-XC 2020 in Bubinga and they definitely brighter , more clarity and dynamic than the Aeolus but less base.

Jan 1, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #5,245 of 6,740
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm worried about the weight though. Also considering Aeon 2 Noire.

Jan 1, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #5,246 of 6,740
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm worried about the weight though. Also considering Aeon 2 Noire.
I tried the aeon noires and I really didn’t care for them. The fit and finish is incredible, they’re very light and are really comfy but unfortunately, after listening to Audezes and ZMFs they just sound really dead and thin to me which I couldn’t find a way to correct with EQ. They just lack that sense of dynamics/slam. I also didn’t love the timbre, they sounded kind of cold and sterile to me which is not my preference. YMMV of course so it’s probably worth trying just for the fit and finish alone.

Jan 2, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #5,247 of 6,740
If anyone is interested, my EQ profile on the perf suede universe pads is:
1.0K -3db Q1.0 -> reduces some slight honkiness that I'm not a fan of (you can play around with this until female vocals sound right to you)
4.2K +2.5db Q3.5 -> corrects a slight dip that I hear
5.8k -4db Q4.0 -> corrects a medium sized peak I hear

Jan 2, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #5,248 of 6,740
If anyone is interested, my EQ profile on the perf suede universe pads is:
1.0K -3db Q1.0 -> reduces some slight honkiness that I'm not a fan of (you can play around with this until female vocals sound right to you)
4.2K +2.5db Q3.5 -> corrects a slight dip that I hear
5.8k -4db Q4.0 -> corrects a medium sized peak I hear
Thanks. I agree with 1k and 5.5K bands but I find the 4K dip helps widen the sound a bit. I also add a bit of energy at 1.7k

Jan 2, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #5,249 of 6,740
Thanks. I agree with 1k and 5.5K bands but I find the 4K dip helps widen the sound a bit. I also add a bit of energy at 1.7k
thanks, will try swapping my 4k correction for yours!

Edit: I like the 1.7k bump, I find that the 4k bump does in fact pull the width in a bit but I actually prefer it as I find the sound to be a bit over-widened without it (meaning stuff sounds overly to the left and right and I get a bit of that hd650 3-blob effect) so I think I'll keep it, but you are totally right about the width thing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back