ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Dec 21, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #5,209 of 6,741
I have installed the new mesh and I think that the aeolus now is more airy, a little more open and precise. Also the bass seens more firm and the all sound more crisp. At the monent I have the universe perforated suede pads but, with these new grilles, I think that the Aeolus original pads could have a new life.
Strange that Zach said that the new grilles should be equal to the old ones…..
I’ve been too lazy to actually install mine, but now I might! Zach says they measure the same as the old ones, but as is often the case, “measure” doesn’t always mean “sound.”

Dec 21, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #5,211 of 6,741
With the TC I was listening the headphones and with the Aeolus I was listening the music.
Brilliant statement of subjective preference.

What you describe is one of many phenomena that are unmeasurable by any test instruments I know of--but something anyone with functioning ears & a brain can relate to.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #5,212 of 6,741
Brilliant statement of subjective preference.

What you describe is one of many phenomena that are unmeasurable by any test instruments I know of--but something anyone with functioning ears & a brain can relate to.
…. “The name that can be named is not the eternal name. Unnameable is the essence.”…
(Tao Te Ching, chapter 1, passage 1)

Dec 23, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #5,214 of 6,741
Which one of "Pilot" or "Co-Pilot" pads do you guys recommend for Aeolus? My Aeolus has the suede strap which is comfortable for around 2 hours. After that I feel a slight hotspot on top of my head. (I have a pretty big head and I use the headband on nearly the largest setting on the rod.)

Dec 23, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #5,215 of 6,741
Which one of "Pilot" or "Co-Pilot" pads do you guys recommend for Aeolus? My Aeolus has the suede strap which is comfortable for around 2 hours. After that I feel a slight hotspot on top of my head. (I have a pretty big head and I use the headband on nearly the largest setting on the rod.)
If you are almost on the highest setting, the co-pilot may be the only one that will fit. Mine has done a pretty good job of removing that hot spot from other headphones (like the HE6SE). Either that or you could try the pilot pad and remove the suspension strap altogether. For reference, I’m on the 3rd groove on my ZMF’s normally, and putting the pilot pad around the suspension strap made me have to max out the adjustment rod to make it fit.

You may also want to wait for the crescent headband that is coming out soon. That’s what I’m doing with my Auteur, and I’m just putting up with the very slight discomfort until then (whenever “then” will be). It should help comfort without having to worry about adjustment size.

Dec 23, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #5,216 of 6,741
I received my stabilized Aeolus today! Although, it came with a crack at the adjustment bracket and double sets of universe lamb instead of one set of be2 lamb. They look stunning in person though! Here is a picture of it next to my Ziricote. Btw I am selling the ziricote if anyone is interested.
654772EA-A081-41B6-AAFE-5E7C1E7512B1.jpeg

Dec 23, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #5,218 of 6,741
Take the suede strap off and put the leather one back to get rid of the hot spot. My big head prefers the stock over anything else. New crescent band should end up for sale next year early

Dec 24, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #5,220 of 6,741
If you are almost on the highest setting, the co-pilot may be the only one that will fit. Mine has done a pretty good job of removing that hot spot from other headphones (like the HE6SE). Either that or you could try the pilot pad and remove the suspension strap altogether. For reference, I’m on the 3rd groove on my ZMF’s normally, and putting the pilot pad around the suspension strap made me have to max out the adjustment rod to make it fit.

You may also want to wait for the crescent headband that is coming out soon. That’s what I’m doing with my Auteur, and I’m just putting up with the very slight discomfort until then (whenever “then” will be). It should help comfort without having to worry about adjustment size.
Thanks for the advice. I'll wait for the new headband then. But since the strap doesn't actually touch the headband when I'm wearing it, can the crescent band make any difference?
Take the suede strap off and put the leather one back to get rid of the hot spot. My big head prefers the stock over anything else. New crescent band should end up for sale next year early
I don't have the stock leather one. I ordered mine with suede strap. Can I order the stock strap? I only see the suede strap on ZMF website:
https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/pads/products/suede-strap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back