ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Aug 4, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #4,756 of 6,740
Sounds great, @erics75. Took a look around but unfortunately only found one place selling the A20 in Europe, for almost 500 euros. I could swear I saw it for 200-300e somewhere earlier in the year. No doubt it'd sound fantastic with the Aeolus, but maybe not quite half-a-grand-for-a-specific-use-case fantastic.
I think it's been discontinued, unfortunately. i got mine used here in the classifieds. I put out a wanted listing and got a hit within a day or so.

Aug 5, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #4,757 of 6,740
There's some SW51+ left still for sale on super best audio friends, from my research it seems like it's a killer budget amp for the Aeolus. Bit of a tube amp with some solid state like qualities, I haven't received mine yet, but I've heard enough positive opinions from people I trust to be excited about it.

Aug 8, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #4,758 of 6,740
I got myself a Schiit Valhalla 2. My first tube amp. Testing with my Aeolus and HD6XX.

I have been going back and forth between the Valhalla 2 and my Marantz HD-DAC1. I am using the DAC in the HD-DAC1 for both amps. To be honest the sound between these two is almost identical. There is perhaps a slight refinement with the Valhalla 2 and a bit more bass slam. The Valhalla 2 does seem to separate instruments a bit more compared to the DAC1. However the difference is pretty subtle. Not sure if that is a testament to the amp or DAC of the HD-DAC1 but I would not hesitate to recommend it for anyone considering it. The clarity and detail is equal in both amps with maybe a very slight edge towards the Valhalla 2. I did try the stock tubes and I didn't really notice any difference compared to the aftermarket ones.

So the question is do I keep the Valhalla 2 or stick with the HD-DAC1? If I sell the HD-DAC1 then what DAC to I get? Some have suggested the Bifrost 2 as that combined with the Valhalla 2 provides a more "analog" sound. Or what about a Topping D70S or the cheaper E30?

Aug 9, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #4,759 of 6,740
I got myself a Schiit Valhalla 2. My first tube amp. Testing with my Aeolus and HD6XX.

I have been going back and forth between the Valhalla 2 and my Marantz HD-DAC1. I am using the DAC in the HD-DAC1 for both amps. To be honest the sound between these two is almost identical. There is perhaps a slight refinement with the Valhalla 2 and a bit more bass slam. The Valhalla 2 does seem to separate instruments a bit more compared to the DAC1. However the difference is pretty subtle. Not sure if that is a testament to the amp or DAC of the HD-DAC1 but I would not hesitate to recommend it for anyone considering it. The clarity and detail is equal in both amps with maybe a very slight edge towards the Valhalla 2. I did try the stock tubes and I didn't really notice any difference compared to the aftermarket ones.

So the question is do I keep the Valhalla 2 or stick with the HD-DAC1? If I sell the HD-DAC1 then what DAC to I get? Some have suggested the Bifrost 2 as that combined with the Valhalla 2 provides a more "analog" sound. Or what about a Topping D70S or the cheaper E30?

Honestly the differences between amps and dacs are subtle to most people, but once you get into the hobby those small differences make a big difference, if that makes sense. To me, if the Valhalla 2 has more separation, more refinement and more bass slam - that's a big difference to me and enough to keep the Valhalla 2. I'd be curious what a Bifrost 2 would do, stepping up your DAC, probably another subtle increase.

Aug 9, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #4,760 of 6,740
How is the Sound Leakage on the Aeolus?
Average for an Open Back or even worse?

Aug 10, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #4,761 of 6,740
IME it's at about average to above average (meaning less sound leakage). Depending on listening volume of course, it's obviously not as bad as Senn of Focal with little to no dampening, but it is audible.

Aug 10, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #4,762 of 6,740
IME it's at about average to above average (meaning less sound leakage). Depending on listening volume of course, it's obviously not as bad as Senn of Focal with little to no dampening, but it is audible.
Ok. I have a Beyerdynamic (Tygr) and he leaks really bad, even at low volume. You can sing along from outside the house.
My Ultrasone on the other hand leaks too, but not so much. But he is still audible downstairs. I hear very loud.

Aug 11, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #4,763 of 6,740
Ok. I have a Beyerdynamic (Tygr) and he leaks really bad, even at low volume. You can sing along from outside the house.
My Ultrasone on the other hand leaks too, but not so much. But he is still audible downstairs. I hear very loud.
You are being modest. I heard the leakage from down the block.

Aug 12, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #4,764 of 6,740
Better than average
Very good, as in less than average leakage. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Aug 12, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #4,765 of 6,740
Interestingly, I feel like the Aeolus leaks a lot more than my previous open-back cans (58X with Yaxi pads). If I do the whole hold-your-headphones-away-from-you-in-outstreched-hands thing (to determine if my listening levels are too loud - yeah, I know, super scientific), I feel like the music is really pretty audible even at low listening levels. Never had that experience with the 58Xs.

Could just be that the Yaxi-padded Senns were an exception to the rule, though. The pads made them insanely bassy and dark.

Aug 12, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #4,766 of 6,740
It's all relative! Compared to my Edition X they leak way less.

Aug 12, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #4,768 of 6,740
Interestingly, I feel like the Aeolus leaks a lot more than my previous open-back cans (58X with Yaxi pads). If I do the whole hold-your-headphones-away-from-you-in-outstreched-hands thing (to determine if my listening levels are too loud - yeah, I know, super scientific), I feel like the music is really pretty audible even at low listening levels. Never had that experience with the 58Xs.

Could just be that the Yaxi-padded Senns were an exception to the rule, though. The pads made them insanely bassy and dark.

This is my experience too. I am not complaining, I bought open back headphones for a reason, but the sound is audible in the room at least as much as from my HD-600. The Verite Open seems like a semi-closed by comparison. In fact, interestingly, the VO seems to "leak" sound only through the side vents. I wonder if the baffle is open at all.

Aug 15, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #4,769 of 6,740
It's all relative! Compared to my Edition X they leak way less.
Yeah those egg hifimans have absolutely 0 isolation from external sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back