ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
May 23, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #2,686 of 6,740
I just changed pads to the BE2. I like them because they're a bit less euphonic and warm while retaining great musicality. I've had to bend the headband quite a bit to reduce the clamp force on my head. A side benefit to the BE2 is they're a little thinner than the universe pads that I was using so it seems to reduce the clamp force. I've got the headband adjusted to be comfortable now but it took quite a few bending sessions to get it right for me. I've been listening to Silje Nergaard's "Japanese Blue" album and her voice is just beautiful through the Aeolus.

May 23, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #2,687 of 6,740
(update for no particular reason)

Recently had a typical Aeolus experience. Began listening on a headphone that really pleases me, the JAR650 (HD650 heavily modded by Jupiter Audio Research). This headphone doesn't get much head time anymore, now that the Aeolus is boss HP.

So I'm listening to various things...and along comes music w/a powerful beat & bass. A couple minutes in I feel compelled to grab the Aeolus w/perforated universe pads--because it just kills on music like this (all music, truthfully)--and that was it, JAR650 back on the shelf.

This headphone has a way of colonizing one's system & pushing other excellent headphones into the shadows. The way I keep listening to the Eikon & Ori is to make listening sessions into competitions: Eikon vs Aeolus or Ori vs Aeolus (the latter matchup is especially fascinating).

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #2,688 of 6,740
(update for no particular reason)

Recently had a typical Aeolus experience. Began listening on a headphone that really pleases me, the JAR650 (HD650 heavily modded by Jupiter Audio Research). This headphone doesn't get much head time anymore, now that the Aeolus is boss HP.

So I'm listening to various things...and along comes music w/a powerful beat & bass. A couple minutes in I feel compelled to grab the Aeolus w/perforated universe pads--because it just kills on music like this (all music, truthfully)--and that was it, JAR650 back on the shelf.

This headphone has a way of colonizing one's system & pushing other excellent headphones into the shadows. The way I keep listening to the Eikon & Ori is to make listening sessions into competitions: Eikon vs Aeolus or Ori vs Aeolus (the latter matchup is especially fascinating).
Good stuff! Substitute the Eikon for an Atticus, and I am right there with you.

May 23, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #2,689 of 6,740
I think I've settled on the BE2 pads for my preferences. For cables, I like my Norne Silvergarde S3 or Double Helix Complement 2. I'm really pleased with the musicality of the Aeolus, it draws me into the music like very few headphones can do.

May 23, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #2,691 of 6,740
What does the BE2 pads do better than the Universe Hybrids you were using?
In my setup, the Universe Hybrids were just a little too warm but overall very good. I think the BE2 pads provide just a bit more clarity and steer more towards a neutral sound.

May 24, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #2,693 of 6,740
I don’t like the Verite pads on the Aeolus because my ears touch the grille cloths. I think the same is true with the BE2 pads, I started to become uncomfortable the longer I wore them. I’m trying the universe suede pads again.

May 25, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #2,694 of 6,740
Anyone here have any additional feedback on tubes for the pendant? I have the pendant + the vintage tubes coming, and wanted to see if there were any additional feedback on tubes for tube rolling. bought a couple and just looking for some good options to test.

May 25, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #2,695 of 6,740
May 26, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #2,699 of 6,740
May 26, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #2,700 of 6,740
I would speculate that it is going to be a while. He said they are not doing a full lineup of limited edition units here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf...ltd-and-sonnet-morpheus-now-available.932915/

Thank you for the link!

I wouldn’t fret about no LTDs offered for the Aeolus, I have the Sapele and it looks and sounds great!

I'm not a fan of the Sapele when I saw it on ZMF's website, but the moment I saw it in real life... oh my.. it really is beautiful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back