ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
May 21, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #2,672 of 6,741
How's the suede headband/top feel?
I have both, and the suede is ridiculously comfortable. The leather is really comfortable, but not as good as suede.

May 21, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #2,673 of 6,741
I have both, and the suede is ridiculously comfortable. The leather is really comfortable, but not as good as suede.

Does the suede band make your head hot? Do you think it will peel over time? Does it leave much space for the head? My head is medium sized (shouldn’t be an issue). My girl has a bigger had for crying out loud.

May 21, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #2,674 of 6,741
Does the suede band make your head hot? Do you think it will peel over time? Does it leave much space for the head? My head is medium sized (shouldn’t be an issue). My girl has a bigger had for crying out loud.
I don't notice the suede being any hotter, and you do loose a few clicks as in it is a bit smaller with the suede. The leather will definitely hold up better, but my suede show no signs of wear after a year. You can also bend the headband for a better fit, with either option.

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #2,675 of 6,741
You

I don't notice the suede being any hotter, and you do loose a few clicks as in it is a bit smaller with the suede. The leather will definitely hold up better, but my suede show no signs of wear after a year. You can also bend the headband for a better fit, with either option.

Thanks, I still have a week to decide on that (and on the pads...). I've tried an Atticus once, it had the magnesium chassi and leather headband. I didn't wear it for long (less than 30 min, but seemed quite comfortable).

May 21, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #2,676 of 6,741
Thanks, I still have a week to decide on that (and on the pads...). I've tried an Atticus once, it had the magnesium chassi and leather headband. I didn't wear it for long (less than 30 min, but seemed quite comfortable).
You really can't go wrong with either,

May 21, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #2,678 of 6,741
Totally agree with Wes. Leather is very comfy but suede is better in the expense of losing couple clicks of extension. My head is average (or smaller than average) size, so not an issue. If you have a watermelon of a head - you might have an issue with the suede.
I could not feel ANY difference in one getting hotter than the other, so that is not a consideration at all.

May 21, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #2,679 of 6,741
Quick question - if I buy from dealer in my city listed on the ZMF website, would I still have to wait for the production time of 5-10 weeks as stated on the website or would they have stock on hand?

May 21, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #2,680 of 6,741
Quick question - if I buy from dealer in my city listed on the ZMF website, would I still have to wait for the production time of 5-10 weeks as stated on the website or would they have stock on hand?

only your dealer can answer that, we don't know whether they hold stock or not

May 21, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #2,681 of 6,741
How's the suede headband/top feel?
Super comfortable. It seems to be a bit tighter across the top than my Verite leather headband, meaning the lower strip of the headband is more suspended, rather than pressed into the upper part of the headband. Not that the leather headband on the Verite was any less comfortable.

May 22, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #2,683 of 6,741
Is there a difference in SQ between the universe lambskin perforated and universe hybrid perforated pads or is it just a comfort difference?

May 22, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #2,684 of 6,741
I burned in my Aeolus for over 200 hours and I think about 90% of the improvements occurred in the first 100-120 hours. At this point, its tonality and timbre are really great. It's presentation of the soundstage is much different from my VO. The instruments and the vocals seem much closer with the Aeolus. Since I'm used to the more laid presentation of my VO it's taking me some time to get used to the more intimate Aeolus. I can see the Aeolus and the VO being very complementary headphones. I still have a VC coming in about a month or so to add to the mix.

I started out with the universe perforated suede pads but I've changed to the hybrid perforated universe pads. I think I like the hybrid pads slightly better for their greater bass quantity without being overdone. I also tried the Verite and BE2 pads for a short time. I didn't care for the highs with the Verite pads and I think my ears were touching the grille covers making it a bit uncomfortable. The BE2 pads were very good but I didn't spend a lot of time with them so I will give them a more lengthy listen soon.

May 23, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #2,685 of 6,741
Last night I switched from my Norne Silvergarde S3 cable to my Wywires Platinum cable. I also switched back to the universe perforated suede pads. I think the Wywires cable improved the bass, and improved the soundstage. The universe perforated suede pads are sounding great in combination with the cable change. I love female vocals on this headphone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back