ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Feb 15, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #2,296 of 6,760
What options do you have on your Glenn if you don't mind me asking? Wooden chassis that I want is apparently not the best option for tube rolling

There is another member in the Glenn thread that has the wooden chassis, and it has less options. Mine was purchased from @Phantaminum so it has what he requested when it was built. Single SN7 slot, dual c3g slots, 6x 6BX7 slots, Hexfred rectifier, stepped volume attenuator. Like many in the Glenn thread, I've basically completely converted over to dual C6/J5 tubes in the SN7 slot, using an adapter. I doubt I'd go back to a single SN7 tube, so that may help with your decisions. There is so much flexibility in that design that it's hard to get bored.

Feb 19, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #2,297 of 6,760
These things sound amazing and I regret not buying these a year ago. These really do make everything sound good. I was even throwing on the most poorly mixed songs I could find in my library, and it even made them sound great. I had the ZMF Ori before this, and man what a step up.
My Bubinga's buyer first impression! It feels good to find out it isn't only me who's too crazy for this magical piece of art :)

20200117_210852.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #2,298 of 6,760
My Bubinga's buyer first impression! It feels good to find out it isn't only me who's too crazy for this magical piece of art :)

20200117_210852.jpg

That's the best looking bubinga Aeolus I've seen. Love the way the grain circles the SS screen.

I saw 1-2 bubinga Aeolus F.S. & was sorely tempted by them. I held out for blackwood, but damn, this HP is beautiful.

I spend some time in the ZMF room at CanJam/NYC last weekend. Saw some wood on various headphones that was really stunning. I like some wood more than others, but there simply is no ZMF wood that looks even "average."

Feb 19, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #2,299 of 6,760
"That's the best looking bubinga Aeolus I've seen. Love the way the grain circles the SS screen."

Yep it was a beauty! It was a shame local buyers missed on that deal. I could save that %13 ebay fees!

New owner is loving already. I'm happy.

I saw 1-2 bubinga Aeolus F.S. & was sorely tempted by them. I held out for blackwood, but damn, this HP is beautiful.

I spend some time in the ZMF room at CanJam/NYC last weekend. Saw some wood on various headphones that was really stunning. I like some wood more than others, but there simply is no ZMF wood that looks even "average."

I def liked the look better than my Sapele but they are a tiny bit heavier. According to Zach the Bubinga with SS grille and rode is 30 grams heavier than Sapele and that made quit a difference for me! I'm not a big guy and I think if I was, I wouldn't mind that extra weight.
Plus after ending up paying import tax on both, I was more keen to sell the one that I could get more cash out of.
For me still that Z reviews Aeolus is the best looking. like OMG! I can't find a decent picture of that combo elsewhere though.
Have upgraded my cable too(14 ft, $200). I'm doing my final research to step up my amp. Looking at GOTL's currently... I just wanna make the sound better and better :D

Attachments

• 11186627.png
    11186627.png
    492.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200219_144501.jpg
    20200219_144501.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #2,301 of 6,760
Below is my new B-stock Aeolus, still burning in (3-4 days to go), but already sounding very very good.

It's challenging to photograph blackwood. Strong lighting is required to show the subtle color banding. I'll have to try direct & indirect sunlight...

Blackwood knocks me out--and so does the Aeolus--so I'm totally pumped to have this headphone.

I spent some time in the large ZMF room at CanJam/NYC last weekend...saw many different & beautiful woods among all those headphones. For someone who loves wood, it was a very happy place.

P1010049.JPG

P1010052.JPG

P1010054.JPG

Feb 20, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #2,303 of 6,760
Below is my new B-stock Aeolus, still burning in (3-4 days to go), but already sounding very very good.

It's challenging to photograph blackwood. Strong lighting is required to show the subtle color banding. I'll have to try direct & indirect sunlight...

Blackwood knocks me out--and so does the Aeolus--so I'm totally pumped to have this headphone.

I spent some time in the large ZMF room at CanJam/NYC last weekend...saw many different & beautiful woods among all those headphones. For someone who loves wood, it was a very happy place.

P1010049.JPG

P1010052.JPG

P1010054.JPG
Congrats on your new Aeolus and happy listening

Feb 20, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #2,304 of 6,760

P1010049.JPG

P1010052.JPG

P1010054.JPG

wow goodness me this exists..???

my Aeolus says hello~

F3BB4291-FA1F-46E2-B0A6-63314B0CB94C.jpeg

Feb 20, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #2,305 of 6,760
This amp and cable! And I believe that dac is sick too based on how much it costs.
[/QUO!

All that gear looks awesome!

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #2,306 of 6,760

Wow, these are stunning. The color combination just makes them pop. Congrats!

Feb 20, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #2,307 of 6,760
I need help. A lot of it. I live in Canada, Toronto, and there's no ZMF dealer here. I can't hear to Zach's cans by myself before purchase, so I need as much detail as I can on them.

I'm looking into getting the Aeolus now (likely the LTD Camphor Burl edition), and I'd love to have a few questions answered. Before that...I have heard for about an hour the Audeze LCD2C and the LCDX these days at a couple audio store. I have right now a Sennheiser HD6XX and DCA AEON 2 Closed Back. I'm pointing these out just for comparisons to be made by those who have them and the Aeolus.

Comfort (It's as important as sound quality to me. Not being able to have a headphone on my had for hours defeats the purpose of it):
- Given the Aeolus pictures I've seen, there's now a head strap under the headband, which I don't think there was in the first iterations of the headphones. Does it fix any kind of hot spots the head would get? A few users complained about this problem in the early production models.
- In terms of pads size, what am I looking into? The Audezes LCD2C, LCDX and the AEON 2 have very good pads that didn't bother me at all. I'd give them comfort 9 out of 10. (Audezes LCD1 bother me a bit, they'd be a no go). The Senns HD6XX would get a comfort of 6 out of 10 for not having enough depth to avoid the ears touching the drivers, nor enough height to avoid touching the top and bottom of the ears. The Aeolus needs to have AT least the same spacing for the ear as the original pads of the HD6XX.
I wear the AEON 2 for hours at work and it never bothers me. In the end, how does the Aeolus fair into that regard?

I've read some people saying that the Aeolus can sound a bit muffled. Would that be related to the ear cup pads used + lack of amp synergy? I own both an Asgard 3 and Drop THX 789. It will be driven mostly by the Asgard though, since that's the one I have at home because I need it's pre amp function to make my life easier.

A bit about my sound preferences:
I like a sound that feels warm (not a volcano) and full, but not crazy smooth like the Meze Empyreans. I didn't like those.
I quite enjoy the sound of both my HD6XX (neutral with a bit of sparkle) and AEON 2 CB (I use the thicker and white inner padding that comes with it for a warmer sound, and the whole FR sounds pleasing to me).
I hate with all my heart the HD700. That person. I could drop a nuclear bomb on top of the factories that built these cans without a shame in the world. They made me hate bright headphones with an intensity that is crazy. Properly equalized, they are listenable, but still not my thing really. I have no problem with detailed cans, I just can't handle uncontrolled brightness. For instance, the Focal Stellia handles treble beautifully to my ears.

I was certain to go with the Audeze LCD2C by Zeos review, but them I heard them and found two problems that were bothering me. The treble was very recessed, and there was some harshness on voices. I heard the LCD2 Fazor fixes that, but I couldn't find one single dealer near me with them. I could very well consider the fazor model if these problems are indeed gone. The LCDX was weird. I heard two pairs, latest revision both. They sounded different. One was VERY neutral, a perfect HD600 made by Audeze. The second had to much treble on my face. How the hell is that even a thing I wonder, if not lack of quality control.

I considered the Auteur, but it may be too neutral for me. I wanted something with enough punch on the low, warm middles, a bit of sparkle on the treble without throwing me off with harshness.

If anyone got to the end of this wall of text and can give me some of your thoughts, I thank thee in advance.

Feb 20, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #2,308 of 6,760
I need help. A lot of it. I live in Canada, Toronto, and there's no ZMF dealer here. I can't hear to Zach's cans by myself before purchase, so I need as much detail as I can on them.

I'm looking into getting the Aeolus now (likely the LTD Camphor Burl edition), and I'd love to have a few questions answered. Before that...I have heard for about an hour the Audeze LCD2C and the LCDX these days at a couple audio store. I have right now a Sennheiser HD6XX and DCA AEON 2 Closed Back. I'm pointing these out just for comparisons to be made by those who have them and the Aeolus.

Comfort (It's as important as sound quality to me. Not being able to have a headphone on my had for hours defeats the purpose of it):
- Given the Aeolus pictures I've seen, there's now a head strap under the headband, which I don't think there was in the first iterations of the headphones. Does it fix any kind of hot spots the head would get? A few users complained about this problem in the early production models.
- In terms of pads size, what am I looking into? The Audezes LCD2C, LCDX and the AEON 2 have very good pads that didn't bother me at all. I'd give them comfort 9 out of 10. (Audezes LCD1 bother me a bit, they'd be a no go). The Senns HD6XX would get a comfort of 6 out of 10 for not having enough depth to avoid the ears touching the drivers, nor enough height to avoid touching the top and bottom of the ears. The Aeolus needs to have AT least the same spacing for the ear as the original pads of the HD6XX.
I wear the AEON 2 for hours at work and it never bothers me. In the end, how does the Aeolus fair into that regard?

I've read some people saying that the Aeolus can sound a bit muffled. Would that be related to the ear cup pads used + lack of amp synergy? I own both an Asgard 3 and Drop THX 789. It will be driven mostly by the Asgard though, since that's the one I have at home because I need it's pre amp function to make my life easier.

I like a sound that feels warm (not a volcano) and full, but not crazy smooth like the Meze Empyreans. I didn't like those.
I quite enjoy the sound of both my HD6XX (neutral with a bit of sparkle) and AEON 2 CB (I use the thicker and white inner padding that comes with it for a warmer sound, and the whole FR sounds pleasing to me).
I hate with all my heart the HD700. That person. I could drop a nuclear bomb on top of the factories that built these cans without a shame in the world. They made me hate bright headphones with an intensity that is crazy. Properly equalized, they are listenable, but still not my thing really. I have no problem with detailed cans, I just can't handle uncontrolled brightness. For instance, the Focal Stellia handles treble beautifully to my ears.

I was certain to go with the Audeze LCD2C by Zeos review, but them I heard them and found two problems that were bothering me. The treble was very recessed, and there was some harshness on voices. I heard the LCD2 Fazor fixes that, but I couldn't find one single dealer near me with them. I could very well consider the fazor model if these problems are indeed gone. The LCDX was weird. I heard two pairs, latest revision both. They sounded different. One was VERY neutral, a perfect HD600 made by Audeze. The second had to much treble on my face. How the hell is that even a thing I wonder, if not lack of quality control.

I considered the Auteur, but it may be too neutral for me. I wanted something with enough punch on the low, warm middles, a bit of sparkle on the treble without throwing me off with harshness.

If anyone got to the end of this wall of text and can give me some of your thoughts, I thank thee in advance.

I've got a pair of LCD-2C and covered a few of your questions earlier in this thread. Search for my posts for a little more details. To me, my Aeolus is a good bit more comfortable. Pads are good; except the Auteur pads where my ears touched the drivers. The perf universe pads opened them up for me, they let the sub bass through more.

Feb 20, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #2,309 of 6,760
I've got a pair of LCD-2C and covered a few of your questions earlier in this thread. Search for my posts for a little more details. To me, my Aeolus is a good bit more comfortable. Pads are good; except the Auteur pads where my ears touched the drivers. The perf universe pads opened them up for me, they let the sub bass through more.

I'll take a look, thanks. There are no Auteur pads for the Aeolus ltd edition though. The options are: Universe Aeolus Pads (Stock, warmest), Universe Pads (Stock, slightly less warm), Universe Suede Pads (Stock, neutral) , and Verite Pads (Neutral and dry).

I'd be leaning towards the Universe Pads (Stock, slightly less warm). But knowing already that my ears will fit inside well (they do for the LCD2C) is great.

Feb 20, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #2,310 of 6,760

Comfort is very personal. But a few general observations:
  • There have been very few comments from users on this thread (or Atticus/Eikon & Verite Open/Closed threads) about the headband being uncomfortable (they all have the same headband design).
  • I currently own 2 ZMF dynamics (Eikon & Aeolus); they're among the most comfortable headphones I ever wore
  • IF you got an Aeolus & hate the feel of the headband, there are ways to ameliorate that (ie, replace leather inner band with a suede inner band; or replace inner band w/a ZMF Pilot Pad around leather-clad steel outer band). Also some other ways to address comfort (see Zach/ZMF's comments earlier in this string)
  • So IMO the odds are you'd like the comfort of the Aeol;us headband...which BTW is more comfortable than any LCD (I've owned a couple LCDs).
Re pads, I've tried 3 sets on the Aeolus (stock; verite pad; and perforated suede universe pads). All are extremely comfortable for me. Specific to the Aeolus--all 3 pad options have more spacing between driver & ears than any Senn 600/650/6XX (plus the pads themselves are more comfortable than Senns).

Aeolus sounding muffled? I never heard that. Still, w/the Aeolus, it's easy to get more clarity: just switch from stock pads to perforated universe suedes (less mid-bass, more neutral overall); or verite pads (the most neutral I've heard from an Aeolus, but still slightly warm and fun as hell). My favorite are the perf. suede universe pads.

As for punch in the bass, the Aeolus with any of those 3 pads on has a lot of bass & it sounds quite tuneful/good. You get more mid-bass w/stock pads than w/perf. suede universe pads--but Aeolus bass always sounds terrific to me.

No harshness w/Aeolus--ever. It sounds slightly warm, very musical. There's a lively, bouncy quality to the sound that's hard to explain...probably doesn't show up on frequency graphs. IMO Aeolus just sounds fun/entertaining, always.

BTW, I owned an Empyrean--physically beautiful (actually stunning) and extremely smooth sound, but lacking life/dynamics at some moments. The Aeolus is very smooth but also exciting, dynamic, lively.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back