ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jul 3, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #1,486 of 6,741
My ZDT Jr is on the way too. One thing I gleamed from reading all 32 pages of the SBFA thread is upgrade the driver tubes. The stock ones are supposed to be too harsh. GE JAN 5654 W is what they are recommending. Picked up a pair for about $35 on Amazon (can be had for less on eBay but I wanted a reputable seller for my first tube roll).
With proper burn in I don’t think they sound harsh. Give stock tubes 50hrs of burn in and it will mellow down. However I have removed all sort of digital harshness from my chain. I am using coax from Digione signature, R2R or Multibit DAC and well recorded music.

Jul 3, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #1,487 of 6,741
My ZDT Jr is on the way too. One thing I gleamed from reading all 32 pages of the SBFA thread is upgrade the driver tubes. The stock ones are supposed to be too harsh. GE JAN 5654 W is what they are recommending. Picked up a pair for about $35 on Amazon (can be had for less on eBay but I wanted a reputable seller for my first tube roll).
I look forward to hearing your impressions, with that amp. Sounds like a winner, from what I have read. Interesting about the GE tubes being recommended, as all the GE tubes I have tried, were nothing special.

Jul 3, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #1,488 of 6,741
I look forward to hearing your impressions, with that amp. Sounds like a winner, from what I have read. Interesting about the GE tubes being recommended, as all the GE tubes I have tried, were nothing special.

It was a consensus for the GE from all the heavy hitters. For $35 seemed worth a try. Do you have a recommendation for tube upgrades for the amp? Not sure about size and all that but you are the expert round these part when it comes to all things tubes!

Jul 3, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #1,489 of 6,741
It was a consensus for the GE from all the heavy hitters. For $35 seemed worth a try. Do you have a recommendation for tube upgrades for the amp? Not sure about size and all that but you are the expert round these part when it comes to all things tubes!
Unfortunately, I know nothing about the type tubes, used in that amp, and this is one of the reasons I did not buy one. I already have a bunch of 6922, 12au7, and 6sn7 tubes, and like to stay with amps, that use them, as the choices are great, and I have all the "holy grails". I did do a quick search, and found some 6AK5 Mullard and Western Electric tubes, that would work in the Eddie Current, and those would be the first tubes, I would try.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #1,490 of 6,741
I look forward to getting my EC ZdT Jr... my first one I tried modding and ended up borking it =( but I kind of figured I would hence ordering the new Drop....should arrive next week =) I’ll probably stick to stock for a bit, but then start looking at rolling tubes. Thanks @Wes S for the pointers on upgrade tubes! I remember reading it was hard to find good tubes for the ECZDTJr.

I really enjoyed it with both the Verite and the Aeolus, the Aeolus definitely replaced my Focal Clears...time to find them a new home!

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #1,492 of 6,741
I have been saying 1 more song, for the last 2 hours! I love these headphones. :o2smile:

Since rolling in the Bendix power tube, the speed and texture in the mids is insane, as is the slam and agility, of the bass. The speed of the Bendix is incredible, and really takes things to another level.

Gumby (A1) + BHC Speedball (Mullard ECC82 57' & Bendix 6080wb Solid T Plates) + Aeolus (Silver Michanikos) = 3D like staging, euphonically textured and fast, with punch, while being warm, resolving and well balanced.

Happy 4th, to all! :flag_us:

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #1,493 of 6,741
I have been saying 1 more song, for the last 2 hours! I love these headphones. :o2smile:

Since rolling in the Bendix power tube, the speed and texture in the mids is insane, as is the slam and agility, of the bass. The speed of the Bendix is incredible, and really takes things to another level.

Gumby (A1) + BHC Speedball (Mullard ECC82 57' & Bendix 6080wb Solid T Plates) + Aeolus (Silver Michanikos) = 3D like staging, euphonically textured and fast, with punch, while being warm, resolving and well balanced.

Happy 4th, to all! :flag_us:

Man, now you’re making me want to upgrade the power tubes in my ZDTj. O what a deep dark hole tube rolling truly is!

Jul 4, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #1,494 of 6,741
Going through some High-Res Qobuz tracks with the following chain Airist R-2R DAC -> BHC Speedball -> ZMF Aeolus... I have to say the Aeolus is a spectacular sounding headphone. I actually went back and listened through the whole album from track 1-finish of the new Madonna album (not usually my thing, but gave it another try due to recommendations) and wow... even if you don't like the music, the mastering (specifically on the 88.2khz version) is fantastic. I also was going back and forth with different tracks and a loaner Singxer SDA-2 AIO... pretty impressed with it so far too. I'll get some more listening time in with it and get a review going before returning it. The ZMF Aeolus and Verite are hard to take off the head, and really scale well with different sources...really enjoying these headphones a lot!

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #1,495 of 6,741
I also just ordered the ZDT Jr. since it's availabe again on MD. It's the first real tube amp that checks all the boxes for me (except balanced) and still fits on my desk. Since I got a first taste with my Little Bear B4-X how Aeolus can sound on a tube I was looking for something like the ZDT Jr. and since you guys seem too like them both together I hope I made the right choice. I already tried the Loxjie P20 but it just doesn't have enough tube sound for me.

Jul 6, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #1,496 of 6,741
I also just ordered the ZDT Jr. since it's availabe again on MD. It's the first real tube amp that checks all the boxes for me (except balanced) and still fits on my desk. Since I got a first taste with my Little Bear B4-X how Aeolus can sound on a tube I was looking for something like the ZDT Jr. and since you guys seem too like them both together I hope I made the right choice. I already tried the Loxjie P20 but it just doesn't have enough tube sound for me.

Mine comes today (hopefully). Welcome to the ZDTj Fellowship. Check the impressions thread for tube rolling advice from Wes S, our resident tube guru.

Consensus is replace drivers with GE Jan 5654w. Gonna try those eventually but Wes found me some beautiful lightning logo Western Electrics that are going in first (for half of the GE’s!).

Jul 7, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #1,497 of 6,741
ZMF Aeolus (Default Universe Pads) Measurements:
(MiniDSP EARS. Purr1n's compensation. 500Hz 84dB normalized. 1/12 smoothing)

ZMF Aeolus (blue) vs Sennheiser HD 660 S (red)
ZMF Aeolus.jpg

Jul 16, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #1,498 of 6,741
“6’s to 9’s” by Big Wild

This track lyrically makes me feel like it’s a George Michael song . I can’t really explain why... Anyways let your Aeolus and you bump to this. I am LOVIN this album btw.

Here’s the track on YouTube for easy access to see if you like it or not. (Bigger bass, electronica, pop sounding fun)

642DEF2A-F9D9-4C02-9FE6-5592C2AA2F1E.jpeg
I usually don’t pay attention to my DAC but I found this satisfying ha. Usually I only get to see 46... Take care friends! If you’re up listening to the Aeolus this late- Cheers:smile_cat:

Jul 19, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #1,499 of 6,741
I'm just about to lay down a deposit for a Aeolus Sapele (2 week wait for new stock in the UK).

Still very hesitant though as I need to sell before I buy.

How does it handle female vocals? Does the opened back design give the upper mids more room to breath?

I've read some very positive reviews. I've never put a ZMF of any kind over my ears before!

Cheers!

Jul 19, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #1,500 of 6,741
I'm just about to lay down a deposit for a Aeolus Sapele (2 week wait for new stock in the UK).

Still very hesitant though as I need to sell before I buy.

How does it handle female vocals? Does the opened back design give the upper mids more room to breath?

I've read some very positive reviews. I've never put a ZMF of any kind over my ears before!

Cheers!

Vocals on aeolus are so natural and detailed it really sounds like they're in the room with you, definitely one of the best parts of aeolus I don't think you'll be disappointed, if you listen to a lot of female vocals the suede pads would probably give you more forward sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back